Bristol City FA Cup

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Bristol City FA Cup

Post by Jack_Tinn »

1-1 at half time with Calum Johnson equalising.

it is a pretty good game with Pompey creating chances and at least holding their own vs a decent championship side.

Cannon was influential in the equaliser with his drive and tenacity. Harness is looking excellent. Pompey are playing very well and looking like a cohesive unit in all phases of the game
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Re: Bristol City FA Cup

Post by Sam_Brown »

Could have easily gone our way. Always disappointing for us to lose but thought it was a great performance against a team in the league we hopefully should be in this time next year. Good warm up for the second half of the season and one less thing to worry about in terms of extra games etc. Bring on the league!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Probably the best outcome - a decent performance and their winner came against the run of play. Just shows that you have to take your chances.

Promotion has to be the sole focus this season, and I'm sure this will have boosted confidence. Could do with our strikers finding some confidence though.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Well, that went as well as we could have hoped. Bristol City played a full strength side, and we held our own, which is good for the confidence. Both sides had periods when they were on top, and the difference was the two quality finishes from BC. Nobody could really be blamed for either BC goal. Our finishing was just a little less sharp when the chances came along.

Good minutes on the pitch for the players after the long period off, although they all looked pretty good. Jacobs a bit off the pace, but he has had even longer off than the rest of them, so not unexpected.

I expect the money people would disagree, but I am not too worried about going out, and similarly won't be too bothered if the reserves lose at Peterborough on Tuesday. We need to keep the fixture list as clear as possible for rearrangements. On which point, I would be delaying the Accrington game as long as possible to let their small sqaud size start to impact.

Does the booking for Naylor mean he is suspended? I have lost count amid confusion around qualifying dates.
malcdelsol
Collins Mbesuma

Post by malcdelsol »

Naylor not suspended 👍
That WAS his fifth booking but as we have completed the required 19 league games he is ok to continue.
Once any of the players get a 10th booking they will then have to serve a 2 games ban.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

malcdelsol wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:06 pm Naylor not suspended 👍
That WAS his fifth booking but as we have completed the required 19 league games he is ok to continue.
Once any of the players get a 10th booking they will then have to serve a 2 games ban.
Thanks.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

malcdelsol wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:06 pm Naylor not suspended 👍
I thought that the FA Cup bookings were counted separately from the EFL? According to Andy Moon on the BBC commentary yesterday, he would have been suspended for the next round if we had won against Bristol?

In any event, we played well generally and were able to compete against Championship opposition. Importantly, we no longer have the distraction of the FA CUp and can now concentrate on gaining promotion.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

As everyone has already said, a very good performance from the lads yesterday. They just looked more cutting edge in the final third, but that's to be expected, and their players are probably earning 3 or 4 times what ours are. If we play like that in the league for the rest of the season I'd fancy our chances of automatic promotion. Just need to get Marquis scoring again.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Agreed, a very solid performance and agreed, if we play like that we have a very good chance of beating most teams in our division.

Strangely, I felt the balance of the team looked better without Curtis. Yes he can score goals from nowhere (and that's what we could have done with yesterday) but I just we looked better as a team without him.

Also agree, we need Marquis to start scoring again as Harrison just isn't quite good enough just yet. IMO.