Marquis

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 66 times

Marquis

Post by eltorrro »

Why is he on the field? His contribution in the first half was zero. Brown has carved openings down the left and twice put in a good cross but Marquis wasn't even looking!! Reckon Huwala should come on, think there defence could be penetrated with somebody quick with their feet. Team playing pretty well at the moment..possibly bring Nicoliason off and replace with Jack? 8)
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Marquis

Post by GreenBlue »

Marquis is not the sort of player who dominates but he holding up play, and drawing of players is very good. He is never going to go on mazy runs or make the most perfect cross-field passes, but he will get us 20 or so poacher's goals a season and that is what he is there for.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I have mixed feeiings about Marquis after seeing him on Sunday v. a championship defence. He had a couple of real half chances in front of goal and he simply wasn't either quick enough to seize on the opportunity or physical enough to make his presence felt. Also he shows no obvious ability to score from a distance in the same way as Bristol City showed for their two goals. He has proved that he can score a lot of goals in League One but there has to be doubts about him in the Championship.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Can't disagree with any of that rifle except... we are not in the Championship yet. When we get there it is highly likely that we will need to look elsewhere.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

streetrifle wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:30 pm I have mixed feeiings about Marquis after seeing him on Sunday v. a championship defence. He had a couple of real half chances in front of goal and he simply wasn't either quick enough to seize on the opportunity or physical enough to make his presence felt. Also he shows no obvious ability to score from a distance in the same way as Bristol City showed for their two goals. He has proved that he can score a lot of goals in League One but there has to be doubts about him in the Championship.
I agree with the points made others have made about him not being a great target man but then that's not really where his strengths lie. I'd like to think as a poacher he's shown what he can do fairly consistently this season.

I do feel this is a bit harsh. Seems every time Marquis goes a few games without a goal he gets put under pressure by the fans. He's got 25 goals in 74 appearances for us so I'm not going to write him off. Worth bearing in mind many of those appearances were him being played out of position or in a system that was never going to play to his strengths. Let's not forget he is 4th top scorer in the league at the moment and we have a number of games in hand as well.

Can he do it in the Championship? Hard to say but if we play like we did yesterday when we get promoted then have no doubt he'll get his chances. Then we can make a more informed decision on whether he's suitable. It's a big step up to the Championship imo so how many of the team will be suitable when we go up? Don't get the point in singling out Marquis at all.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix