Swindon on the edge financially.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Swindon on the edge financially.

Post by FatBlueAde »

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... ic-3125031

Worrying times for all and I suspect that there are.a lot more in the same boat not being quite so open 🙁.
Living in exile thinking Blue
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Swindon on the edge financially.

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I am amazed that we have gotten as far as February before we really hear of clubs struggling. I thought that we would see 3-4 teams in L1 alone in administration by Christmas. There must be a lot of people working/financing behind the scenes to keep clubs afloat on so little income.

Best wishes to all at Swindon and any other clubs in difficulties.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

This is where the PL, EFL and Sky have really got to pull their self-obsessed fingers out.

Clubs are being forced to incur very high costs with little income to support that - I can't think of another industry where that scenario exists.

In my company, I have lost an awful lot of income, but I am being supported by the government in terms of furlough and support grants for unavoidable costs like rent, rates, insurance, lease agreements.

Football clubs can furlough their commercial staff, but the sporting staff must be paid, and they are on a hefty salary.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:17 pm This is where the PL, EFL and Sky have really got to pull their self-obsessed fingers out.

Clubs are being forced to incur very high costs with little income to support that - I can't think of another industry where that scenario exists.

In my company, I have lost an awful lot of income, but I am being supported by the government in terms of furlough and support grants for unavoidable costs like rent, rates, insurance, lease agreements.

Football clubs can furlough their commercial staff, but the sporting staff must be paid, and they are on a hefty salary.
Couldn't agree more, I keep thinking we are in a very fortunate position with the current owners. I loved the fan ownership......but dread yo think where we would.be at this juncture.
Living in exile thinking Blue
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

FatBlueAde wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:17 pm This is where the PL, EFL and Sky have really got to pull their self-obsessed fingers out.

Couldn't agree more, I keep thinking we are in a very fortunate position with the current owners. I loved the fan ownership......but dread yo think where we would.be at this juncture.
Whatever people think about the Eisners, we'd be deep in the mud without them. As an ex-shareholder, I'm so glad I voted the way I did, not that I was expecting all this!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:42 pm
FatBlueAde wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 pm
Whatever people think about the Eisners, we'd be deep in the mud without them. As an ex-shareholder, I'm so glad I voted the way I did, not that I was expecting all this!
As you will recall Bill, I voted against but even I'll admit we'd have been up Portsea Creek without a paddle after the last year had the vote gone the other way.