Danny Cowley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Imp Act
Collins Mbesuma

Re: Danny Cowley

Post by Imp Act »

One more thing: please don't believe this ill-informed rubbish about the Cowleys being long-ball merchants. They are very clever, astute tacticians.

When they came to Lincoln, they inherited a group of players assembled by the previous manager and they had to find a way of getting the most from what they had. Having added a few players of their own, they moulded them into a very strong attacking force around Matt Rhead, an old-style centre forward if ever there was one. Although he was not a natural athlete, Rhead was brilliant in the air and had a great touch for a big man, and the Cowleys simply moved him from being an out-and-out striker to almost a No.10 role. It worked very well, but the role played by Rhead gave the impression that Lincoln were very direct. Rhead was the focal point in the first season back in the League in 2017-18 out of necessity, and Lincoln made the League Two play-offs and won the Checkatrade Trophy at the first attempt. Rhead was used very little after that as the style of play evolved around newer, more skilful players like Bruno Andrade and Tom Pett. Having amended the style of play for 2018-19, the Cowleys won the League Two title. Things were continuing to evolve when they left for Huddersfield in September 2019.

Speaking of which, it is ludicrous that some self-entitled Huddersfield supporters comment on their style of play. The Cowleys inherited a shambles of a squad there, vastly overpaid Premier League failures with an attitude problem. Huddersfield had won ONE of their last THIRTY-ONE league games when they arrived, and were bottom of the Championship with one point from their first six league games. Against that background, their record was incredible: P39 W13 D11 L15 Pts50, giving a points-per-game average of 1.28. Over a full season, that would have seen them finish 13th. And yet, there are still Huddersfield fans who ignore the fact that they turned around a club in freefall and kept them in the Championship against the odds, preferring to say their style of play was not good enough for mighty Huddersfield. Style of play? They kept you up, you halfwits!

They were actually sacked after beating promotion challengers West Brom in the penultimate game of the season, effectively ensuring Huddersfield's survival. Apparently they were sacked over differences of opinion with the chairman, who was rumoured to be interfering in the football side of the club, but there are confidentiality agreements and we will never know.

Their replacement at Huddersfield was Leeds United's academy coach Carlos Corberan, whose points-per-game average is 1.13. That is seven points per season worse than the Cowleys' record there. A real case of being careful what you wish for, and they fully deserve to be where they are.

If anyone can make the most of what Portsmouth have, it is Danny and Nicky. I wish them every success because they were brilliant for us.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Thanks for taking the time to post that - much appreciated.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks for both posts Imp Act. Both are useful, thoughtful and well-informed (and encouraging).
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

If the guy named Impact isn't the Cowleys' mum or dad, I think Pompey fans should put any negativity behind them and start believing.

I never believed we'd get out of this division under Jackett, but I believe now. Maybe not this season, and next season could be difficult, because all the big clubs now have decent managers. I am sure the players felt the same. We'll see but this season we could surprise on the upside and get through in the playoffs, or next season we could play very well and suffer some very bad luck.

High energy, fast and direct football, with some skill thrown in,will be fine, whatever the result. I'm pretty sure the Cowleys will bring success. We have a good squad. Once the players truly start believing, we'll see, how good they really are. You ain't seen nothing yet!
Greyhoundkev
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Greyhoundkev »

That sounds like a fair summary of their achievements so far!!

I am a Lincoln fan and have a good bet on yourselves to get promotion after their appointment.

Like Imp Act said we changed tactics regularly and although opponents liked to tag us as long ball we were much more than that.

Good luck for the rest of the season
Greyhoundkev
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Greyhoundkev »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 pm Thanks so much for the comprehensive details of the brothers' achievements and the context you gave for them.

Now what does the guy, who said that their record doesn't compare to Kenny Jackett's, have to say?

I saw my first Pompey game 60 years ago next September and I'm truly excited, like I haven't been since we had Went and Manley, as our new defence. That soon went wrong.

I'm struggling to understand why they haven't been given the title of managers and a proper contract. Here's to a better result this time and hoping that these boys will become managerial legends at Fratton Park.
I would suggest that the 12 game agreement (or 15 as I expect it to be ) is a chance to impress.....

The Cowleys will do their thing and like I said on another thread I am convinced you will make the play offs and have had a decent bet on you to be promoted too so think they'll impress.

However the chance to impress works both ways as if your top brass don't impress The Cowleys and share their ambition then these 15 games (14 now) are an audition for them for another job. Although they are Essex lads they do currently live in Lincoln so this way gives them a chance to assess the club and whether to commit to moving to the area etc.

Good luck, I think you're in for an enjoyable ride and if your club do back them then you could be in for some exciting times in the next few seasons.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Not sure if this has any relevance, but Danny Cowley has been appointed as Head Coach and not Manager?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Claygate wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 pm Not sure if this has any relevance, but Danny Cowley has been appointed as Head Coach and not Manager?
Maybe it's his preference; I don't know what his job title was elsewhere. Or maybe it's that there is no managing to do before the end of the season; no signings, few/no contract decisions, no reorganisation; it's just coaching for a dozen games.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Claygate wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 pm Not sure if this has any relevance, but Danny Cowley has been appointed as Head Coach and not Manager?
Maybe it's his preference; I don't know what his job title was elsewhere. Or maybe it's that there is no managing to do before the end of the season; no signings, few/no contract decisions, no reorganisation; it's just coaching for a dozen games.
No managing PP!? I thought a big part of managing was supposed to be organising and talking to the people under your charge which I hope they will be doing a lot of.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:30 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote:
No managing PP!? I thought a big part of managing was supposed to be organising and talking to the people under your charge which I hope they will be doing a lot of.
Can't argue with that. I did worry about the use of "managing" there. My point was that it is on-pitch management (if you like), and getting the players organised as he wants and motivating/encouraging them to be at their best, as we were before Christmas, not the lost wanderers we were recently. Basically, what you would want ahead coach to do. What isn't required, apart from his personal assessment of players, is anything that might come under a director of football role at a bigger club.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Job titles really are irrelevant at the moment as the transfer window is closed by the time it opens we will have a clear idea whether the Cowley's are here to stay. If they are we need to give them the freedom and authority to run the club including controlling players comings and goings. I understand that this was not the case at Huddersfield which ended their relationship, I hope our Owners and Catlin have a better relationship with them which will be a win win for all of us.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson