Danny Cowley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Danny Cowley

Post by eltorrro »

Does anybody know if he took training today? Hasn't been formally posted by PFC? 8)
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Danny Cowley

Post by Mr Dee »

Cowley Out!!!!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I posted this piece below on another thread so I apologise if you have already been bored with it but I should have posted on this thread.

Becoming a 'probational' Pompey manager at this time will, strangely enough, not really tell us too much about how we could expect our 'style of play' would be next season whatever league we are in under the Cowley's. If you cast your mind back to the Andy Awford reign you will remember we were in danger of falling out the Football League when he was appointed. He had a scenario something similar to the mandate that the Cowley's have now which was to accrue enough points to deliver what is needed, in Awfords case our Football League status. It was wins which we needed with draws not good enough so Awford sent out his team to attack and win games. We went on a run of winning games while watching exciting attacking football. At the end of the season we got what we wanted and we waited for the following season with excited anticipation of watching more of the same. At the same time we were worried that Barcelona or some top Premier league club was going to snatch our new footballing messiah away from us. What followed was simply awful with horrible defensive games, personnel changed from week to week in a seemingly continuous rotational merry go round. I personally think that the success of the previous end of season went to Mr Awford's head and he thought he was the 'bees knees'. After week after week of real rubbish football Andy paid the price. I think the Cowley's will have the same philosophy whereby they will go for broke to get us into the 'promised land' and, although a very exciting prospect, we will not know whether the Cowley's are the men to guide our club onwards by the end of this season. My criticism of the club in recent years is that we have developed a 'little club' syndrome instead of acting like the big and famous club we are in this league, especially under Mr Jackett. We have spent too much time worrying about what our peers in this league (mainly little clubs) will do to us hence this attitude of taking the field with a 'not to lose' approach. Not many clubs in League 1 will be able to amass a fervent 19000 crowd capable of deafening support for the home side with an atmosphere almost unrivalled anywhere in this country. What would it be like for an average League 1 player with an average League 1 club to come to a rocking Fratton Park and sample the intensity of the passion that can be generated by the crowd at home games? Up until recently the answer to that is defensive displays from the home team instead of utilising the Fratton Factor. The Cowley's may well be who we need but lets remember that, Huddersfield aside, their experience has been a 'little club' apprenticeship. I wanted a manager to come in and say "we are Portsmouth" and get the team to perform with the arrogance that you would expect from a club who think they are too big, too famous and too good to be in League 1. It is fair to say that I did see the Cowley's as my number 1 choice but I hope they succeed and make this post a piece of literature babble.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

I'm beginning to wonder if he exists...
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Claygate
Alan Knight

Post by Claygate »

Something doesn’t smell right. The delay in announcing Cowley’s appointment can be down to the fact that he hasn’t signed a contract. Perhaps he’s having second thoughts about the length of contract term? I would be too if it was for only 3 months.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Milkins wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:40 pm I'm beginning to wonder if he exists...
Another Al Mirage
Greenie
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Greenie »

Can't find any confirmation yet, it's never ruddy straightforward.

Just the rump of this season is silly if that what's agreed. Of course more managers may be sacked by then so we'll have a greater selection of underachievers to woo.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Stop worrying. It will be announced tomorrow. Been held up by COVID constraints. So says The News.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

He's not allowed in Pompey bubble until tomorrow. Probably be unveiled then?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Calm down lads, he's on board, just not been made official yet.

I'm more worried about the fact that we seem to be keeping Joe Gallen, nice bloke as he is, on until the end of the season. Can't believe the club haven't shaken hands with him, paid him off, and asked him to leave.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:38 pm Calm down lads, he's on board, just not been made official yet.

I'm more worried about the fact that we seem to be keeping Joe Gallen, nice bloke as he is, on until the end of the season. Can't believe the club haven't shaken hands with him, paid him off, and asked him to leave.
I wonder if the Cowleys have requested that he stay on until the end of the season to help their transition? Otherwise it's an odd decision, and surely once KJ gets another job then Joe will head off and join him?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:38 pm I'm more worried about the fact that we seem to be keeping Joe Gallen, nice bloke as he is, on until the end of the season. Can't believe the club haven't shaken hands with him, paid him off, and asked him to leave.
As we have to pay Gallen to the end of his contract anyway, it financially matters nothing either way whether he stays or not. Therefore, it must be up to Cowley whether he wants Gallen to stay and help for a couple of months.
Charente
Paul Merson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Charente »

Perhaps Gallen is doing a handover, showing where the loos are, how to use the photocopier, that kind of thing.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Joe Gallen staying on makes a lot of sense the Cowley's can get up to speed much quicker with him remaining, all he will be doing is helping them I'm sure he wont influence the way they work. Charlton have done the same thing if Jacket had moved to another club Gallen would have gone to. Even though the Cowley's were not officially announced yesterday and didn't take training they would have been studying videos and watching their training session. 🐮
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Charente wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:29 am Perhaps Gallen is doing a handover, showing where the loos are, how to use the photocopier, that kind of thing.
2 sugars Joe...cheers!