Ipswich today

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Ipswich today

Post by Dinksy »

After all his sly innuendo before the game about his departure from Pompey, it was particularly satisfying to send Cook packing. How's that automatic promotion prediction of yours looking now Paul?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Hugely encouraging.

Pity there were no fans. Fratton Park would have been rocking!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Wow. Superb win, the pressing sounded great & the team gained confidence. Well done Danny Cowley. Maybe just maybe there is something left for us this season.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Dinksy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:22 pm After all his sly innuendo before the game about his departure from Pompey, it was particularly satisfying to send Cook packing. How's that automatic promotion prediction of yours looking now Paul?
:thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

One Swallow etc etc, but I'm actually quietly excited by this appointment. If the Cowleys can harness the degree of support from the Fratton Faithful that the Lincoln fans would appear to have had for them, then the Old Girl could be rocking once they're allowed back in.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

The game next week will be interesting, when they will have had a week with the players rather than one day. Like NSS, I am quietly excited about the rest of the season.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="Berkshire Blue"
The game next week will be interesting, when they will have had a week with the players rather than one day. Like NSS, I am quietly excited about the rest of the season.

Me too, I like their enthusiasm, commitment & totally positive outlook. Their analysis of sections of play is quite a breath of fresh air. Onward and upward!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Quantum of Stowmarket
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Quantum of Stowmarket »

Took time to reflect and the disappointment of yesterday has subsided somewhat the best you can do is move on and not dwell on setbacks. I took in a number of responses on our leading fans sites and there was a difference of opinion in both the new manager Paul Cook and how we played. Some went as far to suggest Cook should leave on the basis of 3/4 losses in his first 5 games here but they were either Norwich trolls who got on or just the heat of the moment in that we lost again and there were a lot of frustrations yet again surrounding what happened.

Didn't see the game and wasn't prepared to pay out to watch online but we played well one half but lost focus after the break and allowed you back into it. Cook has inherited a largely poor squad after Lambert was sent on his way so you can't attribute all of the blame his way. Many of our team are not Championship level and we hardly ever beat those above us in the league. In a sense I hope we don't get a promotion as if we keep the same squad for next season we will be embarrassed often but until we are out of League One I can't see any new ownership coming in which means we're stuck with Marcus Evans for even longer, something this will only deteriorate the club name further and hold it back.

There's a chance both us and Portsmouth could be part of the play-off scene in a few weeks but I don't want to play you again any time soon as you nearly always beat us. Thing is we could have had Dan Cowley instead of Cook but it's still very early into their reigns so you can't make proper judgements. Haven't given up yet on this season as there are a number of beatable teams in the weeks ahead but such is our inconsistency and lack of belief in ourselves it's going to be very tough to expect us to be part of the top six when it matters. It's been nearly 20 years since we were a Premier League side I just hope it doesn't take as long to make it back but so many of the players appear not good enough and an owner who doesn't care I have to imagine we have to sit tight a while longer and accept the situation. It's all about remaining positive as without that what's the point. I think that's all for now.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Quantum of Stowmarket wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:05 pm Took time to reflect and the disappointment of yesterday has subsided somewhat the best you can do is move on and not dwell on setbacks.

There's a chance both us and Portsmouth could be part of the play-off scene in a few weeks but I don't want to play you again any time soon as you nearly always beat us. Thing is we could have had Dan Cowley instead of Cook but it's still very early into their reigns so you can't make proper judgements.
While you will understand that we wanted Pompey to win, I can have some sympathy for the Ipswich situation - famous team with illustrious former manager now in Division 1 - like us.

But you have a good and determined manager in Paul Cook, so I agree that we could be meeting again in the playoffs.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I don’t know exactly why Pompey directors would only give coaches a contract until the end of the season, it may well be the pedigree of the potential managers was not as good as we need or wanted. Even though we had come to a cross roads with Kenny he had better credentials than the current available candidates. Ipswich went for Cook, Sunderland for Lee Johnson, Charlton went for Nigel Atkins all have a better pedigree than the Cowley’s. So there is no doubt we have taken the bigger risk however with a limited contract it reduces it somewhat but we still could lose value able time trialing them. The other issue is will the Cowley’s attract potential new players as well as having a well known and respected name?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

There are a lot of doubters here. If you listen to Lincoln and even Huddersfield fans you'll have no doubt that players will want to play for them. They actually make most players quite a bit better and win promotions. Danny Cowley is also very persuasive and Pompey are a big club in this division, assuming we don't go up this season.

My biggest worry is that they get us promoted and disappear to NUFC, to take them back to the Premiership. The owners need to tie them down to longer term contracts, if they haven't already done so, with options etc
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:25 am My biggest worry is that they get us promoted and disappear ...
That's your biggest worry? I'd take that scenario in a heartbeat and worry about getting a new manager in the summer.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Breath. Of. Fresh. Air.

What a difference a week makes, eh? I really enjoyed that game, especially the second half. Some of the football we played was a joy to watch, especially that leading up to our second goal.... and then to keep pressing for a third was so refreshing. Under Jackett, we wouldn't have come back from 1-0 down to take the lead, and if we had he would have taken a striker off and brought on a defender, we would have sat back and conceded the equaliser late on. Several things impressed me immensely, but above all, it was the desire and teamwork of all our players. Even those on the bench rushed on to the pitch to join in the celebrations when Harness scored. You'd never have seen that a few weeks ago. Such a shame it wasn't a stadium packed with fans as the Old Lady would have been rocking.

Cowley made the right substitutions at the right time. Close and Crackers changed the game for us, and even Lee Brown had an excellent game. I appreciate it is very early days, but the way the Cowleys have managed to turn us round after only one training session bodes well for the future. I loved Danny's post match interview, the fact that he said there is so much to work on, and that he said he had a good feeling! And finally, when asked about the 12 matches to go this season, he said there's not 12, but 15. What an attitude.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:09 pm I don’t know exactly why Pompey directors would only give coaches a contract until the end of the season, it may well be the pedigree of the potential managers was not as good as we need or wanted. Even though we had come to a cross roads with Kenny he had better credentials than the current available candidates. Ipswich went for Cook, Sunderland for Lee Johnson, Charlton went for Nigel Atkins all have a better pedigree than the Cowley’s. So there is no doubt we have taken the bigger risk however with a limited contract it reduces it somewhat but we still could lose value able time trialing them. The other issue is will the Cowley’s attract potential new players as well as having a well known and respected name?
Probably waiting to see who is available in the summer. Taking over a team in 10th place, in poor form, with just a dozen games and a large frustrated fanbase isn't exactly going to have prime candidates lined up to take the job. Offer a long-term contract from the off, and you risk having managers phoning it in for the rest of the season just so they can start afresh in August, protected from a sacking by that 2/3/4 year contract.

The short-term works for both parties. Another year in League One and everyone can still walk away, reputations intact. The Cowleys can claim they never had a chance but gave it everything, and Pompey can claim the door is open to a wider pool of management and a fresh start.

Promotion to the Championship - the Cowleys can rightly negotiate themselves a decent package having achieved the near impossible, and the owners can claim credit for making the right decision at the right time and finally giving the fans what they deserve.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:42 am Breath. Of. Fresh. Air.

I loved Danny's post match interview, the fact that he said there is so much to work on, and that he said he had a good feeling! And finally, when asked about the 12 matches to go this season, he said there's not 12, but 15. What an attitude.
Agreed. What an attitude; a negative one. Clearly given up on automatic promotion. :lol: