Sporting Director

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Sporting Director

Post by streetrifle »

I am surprised to see that the club are looking to appoint a 'Sporting Director, and, if The News report is anything to go by, that the Cowley Bros are happy for this to happen. I seem to recall that such an appointment when proposed at Huddersfield was a major factor in their departures.

At Pompey I would also have thought that it might have been that the Cowleys would resent having to give some say or control on the football side of things over to such a Director, given their apparent need for outright control over the playing side of the club.

I also query the need for the expense of such a 'Sporting Director' at Pompey anyway, when the club seems to be in the very good hands of people like the Eisner family, the Chief Executive, the Finance Director, Chief Operations Officer, Chief Commercial Officer and Club Secretary
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Re: Sporting Director

Post by Keeprblue »

Don't bother Pompey, let the Cowleys work
their magic :)
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I think the problem at Huddersfield was the chairman meddling in football areas, rather than a professional director of football. Maybe someone can clarify.

As to the situation at Pompey, I think this should be up to the Cowleys, or whoever is the long-term appointment. The Cowleys are clearly a dedicated and hardworking managerial team. However, it is possible that there are areas of the club's football operations in which they either have less interest or do not feel thay are the best use of their finite time. Someone has to manage the scouting/analysis department, the academy, age-groups, relationships with PitC and women's teams, and other areas of football operations that are outside Mark Catlin's direct expertise. These demands grow every year, and a manager might feel that some burdens could be lifted from their immediate responsibility.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 pm I think the problem at Huddersfield was the chairman meddling in football areas, rather than a professional director of football. Maybe someone can clarify.
I know a Huddersfield supporter and his gripe about the Cowley's departure from the club stemmed from some clashes with the owner there. I don't recall the exact reason but I'm sure it had something to do with the owner interfering in team selection.
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... em-2918085

Quote......."pragmatic rather than pretty football"
Are they gonna turn into Jacketball?
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I've had a quick google and not seen any mention of Pompey looking for or appointing a sporting director. I know I'm not as "in the know" as some on here claim to be but does anyone have anything to back up this claim?

Edit - just seen the news mentioned - is there a link to the article I'm struggling to find it?

On a side note are there any examples of a sporting director actually working out for a club in the long term? I always thought they were basically "new manager by the back door" on stand by to take over for when the old manager goes.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix