Shrewsbury

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Shrewsbury

Post by Sam_Brown »

Marquis with the red card. Anyone know what it was for and if it was deserved?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

Is that the same Curtis Main who played for us?
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:33 pm Marquis with the red card. Anyone know what it was for and if it was deserved?

Shocking tackle!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

2-1 full time, good result and well ground out after the sending off, great to see the tenacity, shows great team ethic, they were bl**dy awful with not giving the ball back to us after the injury. Boo!
Living in exile thinking Blue
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

We held on reasonably comfortably for the win 1 - 2. The Marquis tackle was stupid but not malicious, but although he won the ball you really mustn't give the ref a decision to make. I doubt that Pompey will appeal and now we don't have a striker for the next three games = apparently Hiwula is injured.

Any free agents around?
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

The first half was one of the best 45 minutes of the season. Close was magnificent and the passing and movement were excellent, such that we dominated and deserved to be 2 up. Unfortunately we gave away a poor goal to bring Shrews back into the game, and then Marquis was sent off for an obvious red card challenge. However we managed to see the game out thanks largely to Whatmough who was calm composed and a giant at the back.

Raggett was hugely disappointing for me and their goal was down to him I felt as he backed off the goalscorer. Also in the first half he was turned too easily in the penalty area but luckily the Shrews striker shot tamely wide.

Nevertheless it was a hugely encouraging performance showing qualities we didn't have under Jackett.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=Pompeymack
Is that the same Curtis Main who played for us?
[/quote]

No :lol: :lol: this one is not injured, but he is still crap!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

we let a goal in.
Cowley out :lol:
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Gutsy display full of character. 68% possession with ten men tells its own story
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

That’s the right attitude when you are up against it with 10 men but luckily changing our formation made it harder for them to get an equaliser they were on a roll until today Pup.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:07 pm I doubt that Pompey will appeal and now we don't have a striker for the next three games = apparently Hiwula is injured.

Any free agents around?
The obvious solution is to bring in Cannon for Marquis. Play a diamond midfield (Naylor-Close-Jacobs-Cannon) and then Williams and Harness wide-ish. No true CF, so give the opposition CBs nothing to do, except worry about who is suddenly going to appear in attacking positions.

Once Curtis is back, you could do it similarly using him as a false nine. Either way, it is all about movement and dragging defenders out of position. Trust your ability, not the formation.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Just listened to the post match and would have to say the more I hear form them.the better they sound (and I feel) great tactical analysis, understated and understanding, giving credit and along with it, confidence. Great stuff.
Living in exile thinking Blue
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

streetrifle wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:16 pm The first half was one of the best 45 minutes of the season. Close was magnificent and the passing and movement were excellent, such that we dominated and deserved to be 2 up. Unfortunately we gave away a poor goal to bring Shrews back into the game, and then Marquis was sent off for an obvious red card challenge. However we managed to see the game out thanks largely to Whatmough who was calm composed and a giant at the back.

Raggett was hugely disappointing for me and their goal was down to him I felt as he backed off the goalscorer. Also in the first half he was turned too easily in the penalty area but luckily the Shrews striker shot tamely wide.

Nevertheless it was a hugely encouraging performance showing qualities we didn't have under Jackett.
Ref Raggett. Their bloke was allowed to run from more or less the halfway line without so much as a attempt @ a tackle. It wasn't down to Raggett. Where was our midfield??
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 pm
Berkshire Blue wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:07 pm I doubt that Pompey will appeal and now we don't have a striker for the next three games = apparently Hiwula is injured.

Any free agents around?
The obvious solution is to bring in Cannon for Marquis. Play a diamond midfield (Naylor-Close-Jacobs-Cannon) and then Williams and Harness wide-ish. No true CF, so give the opposition CBs nothing to do, except worry about who is suddenly going to appear in attacking positions.

I'd prefer Harness in the false 9 role myself. But I wouldn't be putting another midfielder in, that could/would just stifle us. We need a ft man of sorts & the nearest thing we have is Harness imho.

Once Curtis is back, you could do it similarly using him as a false nine. Either way, it is all about movement and dragging defenders out of position. Trust your ability, not the formation.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

This year`s League One is a tale of inconsistency. This Group of Players at Pompey have gone to most of the Top Clubs and taken three points. Soundly beat Sunderland, Lincoln (Hull was a bit lucky), Charlton, Oxford, Ipswich & Gillingham. Then went to Northampton & Bristol Rovers and got stuffed. We are not the only ones having bizarre results against Teams that on paper should be a banker for the top rated Club. Given that our run in is easier (on paper) than our rivals we should be optimistic, but beware of banana skins. I am confident that the Cowleys will be issuing non slip boots.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man