Fitness

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Fitness

Post by jam tomorrow »

Cowley’s mentioned the team had run out of stamina in the last 15 minutes of the Rochdale Match, not sure whether this is due to the new way of playing or just the team’s previous training regime was not up to scratch? I hope we can resolve this issue in the next few games and it doesn’t impact on our promotion push.They also mentioned we lost control due to poor passing whether this is related to fitness also?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Fitness

Post by Pompey Penguin »

A bit of all that.

Also, as I alluded to in the game thread, there is an element of knowing how to play the game that Cowley wants to see. Knowing when to press, and when not, so that energy is conserved for the whole 90 minutes. It is not just running after everything, but there will be times when the team needs to sit back and let the opposition backs have the ball for a bit while they take a breather. Clever running is better than fast running.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:57 pm A bit of all that.

Also, as I alluded to in the game thread, there is an element of knowing how to play the game that Cowley wants to see. Knowing when to press, and when not, so that energy is conserved for the whole 90 minutes. It is not just running after everything, but there will be times when the team needs to sit back and let the opposition backs have the ball for a bit while they take a breather. Clever running is better than fast running.
You mean when I’m playing 5-a-side and run like a blue arsed fly for the first 2 minutes before needing to be subbed off... that there is another way? 🤣
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Exactly. No team can press for 90 mins. Plus its also the end of the season and we’ve been playing more-or-less two games a week since Christmas. Stamina will inevitably take a dip.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

DC specifically mentioned losing possession as the reason for the opposition getting on top in the final half-hour. It's all about passing and he was glad to report that it was something that they were working on. I think they have passers of the ball in the side - Close and Jacobs in particular - while Cannon might be glad for such an adjustment. Naylor has never excelled in this area but I think the midfield potentially has a nice balance between robust industry and creativity. I think a different approach in training could bring out the best in all of them.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm

You mean when I’m playing 5-a-side and run like a blue arsed fly for the first 2 minutes before needing to be subbed off... that there is another way? 🤣
Not in your case. :lol:
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Our lack of stamina in the final minutes of a game is probably why we keep giving a last minute goal away 2-1 2-1 2-1
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by NSRailings »

Rochdale kept going and going for the entire game. I hope DC's aim is to be like them but more effective in attack. Keep possession as much as possible and slow down play to conserve fitness when needed. Then we can have regular attacks over the 90 mins.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:05 pm Rochdale kept going and going for the entire game. I hope DC's aim is to be like them but more effective in attack. Keep possession as much as possible and slow down play to conserve fitness when needed. Then we can have regular attacks over the 90 mins.
They lost
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="jam tomorrow"
Our lack of stamina in the final minutes of a game is probably why we keep giving a last minute goal away 2-1 2-1 2-1
[/quote]

Odd that, given Ipswich scored first and Shrewsbury`s goal was about 60 minutes into the match
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Ok that was my theory which you have just shot down :tw
-- Diane Johnson
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

In all 3 games we've created a lot of chances. With a bit more steady finishing we'd have been well clear of teams by the 70min mark & in all probability not having this conversation.
I'm liking the new pace of our game & I think the players are as well. It is noticeable we drop off after 70mins but 3 wins out of 3 is more than good enough IMHO. Not sure upping our fitness @ this late stage is going to be easy but if anyone can do it the Cowley's can. :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

pompeygunner wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 pm ...well clear of teams by the 70min mark & in all probability not having this conversation.
We might not having been, but you can be sure that the Cowleys would be thinking about it.