Vaccine Passports.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Vaccine Passports.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Good?
Bad?
Indifferent?
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Vaccine Passports.

Post by portchesterblue »

Seems to me that the people moaning that its discriminatory and draconian are the people who break the lock down regulations anyway.
People need some reassurance that letting you onto their pub, restaurant or wherever that you are not a risk to them and yhe other people. If you have had the vaccine whats the issue with proving it,? If you haven't why not??
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Seems like it's just an extension of needing you show you have a negative test to be able to enter the country. Don't have any issues with it if it's a short term thing. Although there is the question about how you deal with people who aren't allowed to be vaccinated for whatever reason like pregnant women.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

No probs with it from me. Mobile phones/CCTV. Even google searches/FB. We are a tracked population, one more isn't going to make a lot of difference.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

portchesterblue wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 pm People need some reassurance that letting you onto their pub, restaurant or wherever that you are not a risk to them and yhe other people. If you have had the vaccine whats the issue with proving it,? If you haven't why not??
Has it been proven having the vaccine actually stops you from catch and transmitting covid? I've not looked into it for a while but last time it seemed the science suggested that it essentially stopped you from dying if you did catch it. Not that it stopped you from catching it in the first place.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

portchesterblue wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 pm Seems to me that the people moaning that its discriminatory and draconian are the people who break the lock down regulations anyway.
People need some reassurance that letting you onto their pub, restaurant or wherever that you are not a risk to them and yhe other people. If you have had the vaccine whats the issue with proving it,? If you haven't why not??
Who is being putting at risk once everyone who wants a vaccine has had one?

I've not broken the rules and these ideas really don't sit easy with me - it strikes me of taking advantage of people's desperation to get back to normality. Also feels like bully boy tactics to make young people take a brand new vaccine against a disease that has very little impact on them.
Charente
Paul Merson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Charente »

Looks like the UK is drifting to having to carry proof of identity. Temporary measures have a habit of becoming permanent.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Charente wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 am Looks like the UK is drifting to having to carry proof of identity. Temporary measures have a habit of becoming permanent.
Indeed. Remember after the 2008 crash when they "temporarily" raised Vat to 20% and here we are over 10 years later.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:52 pm
portchesterblue wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 pm People need some reassurance that letting you onto their pub, restaurant or wherever that you are not a risk to them and yhe other people. If you have had the vaccine whats the issue with proving it,? If you haven't why not??
Has it been proven having the vaccine actually stops you from catch and transmitting covid? I've not looked into it for a while but last time it seemed the science suggested that it essentially stopped you from dying if you did catch it. Not that it stopped you from catching it in the first place.
Yes, whitty said in a press briefing that it doesn't stop you catching/transmitting the virus but will reduce symptoms if you do.
They cynical me says that it's a bit of a scam for someone to make a lot of money out of these passports. It just so happens that Blair has been advising the government during the pandemic and on this passport issue and his foundation has been developing a passport system.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

We know how this works.

1. Boris promises a "world-beating", "game-changing", etc. passport system.
2. Millions are given to management consultants to advise on the system.
3. The process is outsourced to a company with no experience in the area, but is friends of the government.
4. There are glitches in the IT system.
5. Christmas and we are still waiting...
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Just another freedom to give up to the government. Vaccine passports...walob.

If we have had the vaccine why do we need a vaccine passport?

Herd immunity will ensue anyway.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr Dee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:46 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:52 pm
Yes, whitty said in a press briefing that it doesn't stop you catching/transmitting the virus but will reduce symptoms if you do.
I've asked in a few forums and on reddit etc now about the passports and so far I've not actually heard any rationale as to why they are required or the benefits. I've seen lots about how they might work and when and where you might need them but not the WHY.

I'm sure there is some rationale behind it but if there is it seems to be lost in the divisiveness and arguments around freedoms etc. I think the same can be said for the new news about making weekly tests available for everyone. Again what is the rationale for this if the majority of people at risk have been vaccinated already?

I know you and me have had widely different options on the handling of the pandemic. I've been very much on the side of "err on the side of caution" throughout the pandemic and have had no ideological issues with the lockdowns but even with that in mind I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind these passports \ weekly tests.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Chairman Johnson has a press conference later apparently. So maybe he will explain as clearly as mud the reasons for it
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr Dee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:23 pm Chairman Johnson has a press conference later apparently. So maybe he will explain as clearly as mud the reasons for it
Ah ok I must admit I've not been keeping in the loop. I didn't even realise there was a briefing today. I think I got burned out a few months back on the whole Covid thing and haven't been watching the recent briefings as they started feeling very sameish. Too many canned responses and not actually answering the questions put forward. Will give tonights one a watch though if it's going to be more geared towards the passports \ certificates.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:45 pm
Mr Dee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:23 pm Chairman Johnson has a press conference later apparently. So maybe he will explain as clearly as mud the reasons for it
Ah ok I must admit I've not been keeping in the loop. I didn't even realise there was a briefing today. I think I got burned out a few months back on the whole Covid thing and haven't been watching the recent briefings as they started feeling very sameish. Too many canned responses and not actually answering the questions put forward. Will give tonights one a watch though if it's going to be more geared towards the passports \ certificates.
I will read what's been said later. I can't stand to look or listen to the "man"