Close v Cannon

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Close v Cannon

Post by jam tomorrow »

Ben has been showing the potential he has under the Cowleys but suffered with tiredness on Monday thats not his fault but Cannon came on and stole the show maybe because he was fresher. There is no doubt that both are talented but not the finished article yet but under the Cowley's guidance they are arguably of Championship standard? The question is who should start in the side and who should be a substitute or can both play using a system that suits them both?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Close v Cannon

Post by Weybridge »

jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 am Ben has been showing the potential he has under the Cowleys but suffered with tiredness on Monday thats not his fault but Cannon came on and stole the show maybe because he was fresher. There is no doubt that both are talented but not the finished article yet but under the Cowley's guidance they are arguably of Championship standard? The question is who should start in the side and who should be a substitute or can both play using a system that suits them both?
Horses for courses, I'd say. Against a team which likes to press, use Cannon. Against a team which sits deeper, use Close. Playing both would make the midfield a bit lightweight.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Both are good players. Close just happens to suit the way the Cowleys want to play the game better than Cannon, hence his being back in favour. I've always liked Close as a player and a human being, but for me his inadequacies were shown up massively when Ben Thompson arrived on loan from Millwall. He's just too lightweight for my liking and has an annoying habit of pussying out of 50:50s, but he is a far better passer of the ball than Cannon. Shame we can't merge them in to one player, then we'd have more of a Ben Thompson! With regards to playing both, it seemed to work ok in the second half on Monday, though if we were to play both I'd have thought Cannon and Naylor would be better in the more defensive role with Close almost playing a number 10? After all, he has shown on more than one occasion that he has a great eye for a goal, and is more capable of a killer pass to a forward player. In conclusion, I'd say there's a case for both of them, but perhaps if you can only start one, it would depend on how the opposition set up and play. PS. From what I have seen, albeit in brief snatches, I suspect Byers is a better footballer than both of them, but for some reason he's not even getting a look in. I wonder if he has an attitude problem??
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The problem with Cannon is that he loses the ball much more often than Close. I would start with Close and see how it goes. To have Cannon on the bench is a catalyst for Close to do well, to make sure it is not him that makes way for Cannon.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:28 am I suspect Byers is a better footballer than both of them, but for some reason he's not even getting a look in. I wonder if he has an attitude problem??
You wonder if he's the kind of person who leaves the ground in a huff when he's left out of a squad?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour