This board.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: This board.

Post by Betelgeuse »

I was on Pompey rivals for years, this is a tea party in comparison. :D
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:04 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:37 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:52 pm You are not interested in a debate at all, you repeatedly say they aren't spending money even though they are billionaires, they deny ever saying it
[/quote
Ok have it your way, that is not what I meant. Whatever they have spent has been to slowly improve the stadium and purchase the training ground which increases the value of their asset. I believe that pretty much everything that has been spent on the squad has been raised through ticket and player sales but it clearly isn't working judging by our league position and dire football. I'm not particularly happy with that but most people here seem to be quite happy to go along with the current standard and plan set by the owners, I just have a different view.
Again denying saying anything :thumb
Yes they are spending on the Stadium, because they have to, that's something you keep denying too. If they don't spend this money on the stadium it will be shut and we will have no income, you do understand that concept yeah?
They are spending now but it's taken a long time. Have they actually spent it yet? It's just plans atm, yes I know that they've had to do essential maintenance etc. If they give us a 30k stadium I'll be happy, 20k doesn't cut it for me. I am grateful we're debt free but we also were under fan ownership.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:21 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:04 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:37 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:52 pm You are not interested in a debate at all, you repeatedly say they aren't spending money even though they are billionaires, they deny ever saying it
[/quote
Ok have it your way, that is not what I meant. Whatever they have spent has been to slowly improve the stadium and purchase the training ground which increases the value of their asset. I believe that pretty much everything that has been spent on the squad has been raised through ticket and player sales but it clearly isn't working judging by our league position and dire football. I'm not particularly happy with that but most people here seem to be quite happy to go along with the current standard and plan set by the owners, I just have a different view.
Again denying saying anything :thumb
Yes they are spending on the Stadium, because they have to, that's something you keep denying too. If they don't spend this money on the stadium it will be shut and we will have no income, you do understand that concept yeah?
They are spending now but it's taken a long time. Have they actually spent it yet? It's just plans atm, yes I know that they've had to do essential maintenance etc. If they give us a 30k stadium I'll be happy, 20k doesn't cut it for me. I am grateful we're debt free but we also were under fan ownership.
So they haven't spent it yet?? Again denying they are spending money, they have spent over £10m on the stadium so far, that's not spending no??
Do you really believe that the club would have survived covid under fan ownership? Where do you think the 750k a month losses would have been covered by? Again another 750k a month they have spent which you don't seem to appreciate. Could you have afforded to put your hand in your pocket and give to the club every month?
Fan ownership was brilliant, and for us fans to be part of saving the club from going under was an amazing thing, but if we had not sold IMHO the club would now be bust
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Ok mate but where are all the clubs that went bust during covid? None did. Are you saying that all of those clubs had owners that kept the club afloat during those times?

Yes they put on £10m which is what they pledged to do. It's not a lot of money in todays football club owning budgets. But yes I agree that they've spent money on the ground.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:47 pm Ok mate but where are all the clubs that went bust during covid? None did. Are you saying that all of those clubs had owners that kept the club afloat during those times?

Yes they put on £10m which is what they pledged to do. It's not a lot of money in todays football club owning budgets. But yes I agree that they've spent money on the ground.
Where did I say clubs had gone bust, where did I say other clubs haven't covered losses?

There you go, the "not spending enough"
But that's not what you said is it.
It's q0m already spent and 10m more to come by the way, you seem to think it's just the one lot of 10m
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

I do realise they are spending on the ground at long last. But progress is very slow, prob not all their fault as these things take time. But look where we are as a club? Bottom third of the table and we could only just about manage to beat a team far far below us today in a totally un inspiring and inept display. I know things don't happen overnight but we going backwards fast.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:16 pm I do realise they are spending on the ground at long last. But progress is very slow, prob not all their fault as these things take time. But look where we are as a club? Bottom third of the table and we could only just about manage to beat a team far far below us today in a totally un inspiring and inept display. I know things don't happen overnight but we going backwards fast.
See you can have a reasoned debate with screaming that anyone to do with the club is a total ****, but even then you have to slip in at long last...they have been spending on the ground since day 1 ffs.
No one wants to see crap football but teams don't play brilliantly together instantly, and I dont see us going backwards fast. Yes we aren't setting the world alight, but we are barely a third of the way through the season. When we won league 2 for most of the 1st half of the season we were mid table with people calling for cooks head and look what happened
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:56 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:16 pm I do realise they are spending on the ground at long last. But progress is very slow, prob not all their fault as these things take time. But look where we are as a club? Bottom third of the table and we could only just about manage to beat a team far far below us today in a totally un inspiring and inept display. I know things don't happen overnight but we going backwards fast.
See you can have a reasoned debate with screaming that anyone to do with the club is a total ****, but even then you have to slip in at long last...they have been spending on the ground since day 1 ffs.
No one wants to see crap football but teams don't play brilliantly together instantly, and I dont see us going backwards fast. Yes we aren't setting the world alight, but we are barely a third of the way through the season. When we won league 2 for most of the 1st half of the season we were mid table with people calling for cooks head and look what happened
I think you have to try incredibly hard to find too much to be optimistic about this team. I agree that teams often need time to gel and don't become world beaters over night but I would say we have deteriorated and have reached crisis point. I don't know where we go from here but I have no confidence in the Cowley's. This is where we look to the Eisner's for leadership which could well test test their resolve. I don't know how far we go with the present set up. Obviously there is going to be differing opinions on this board in what direction we take, but I do know it will have to do something soon. I don't think you can look to what happened in other seasons because I think we are in a different scenario. There is going to be some very interesting exchanges of veiws on here, but before all the arguing starts let's remember we want the same thing.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Mr Dee wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:27 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:24 pm Is this thread a wind-up? :wink:
Imagine if some of this lot had been around in the 606 days. They'd have a mental breakdown 🤣
Actually I was around on 606 and moved here in 2006 when this board started, and have happily rolled along here since.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:29 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:56 pm
I think you have to try incredibly hard to find too much to be optimistic about this team. I agree that teams often need time to gel and don't become world beaters over night but I would say we have deteriorated and have reached crisis point. I don't know where we go from here but I have no confidence in the Cowley's. This is where we look to the Eisner's for leadership which could well test test their resolve. I don't know how far we go with the present set up. Obviously there is going to be differing opinions on this board in what direction we take, but I do know it will have to do something soon. I don't think you can look to what happened in other seasons because I think we are in a different scenario. There is going to be some very interesting exchanges of veiws on here, but before all the arguing starts let's remember we want the same thing.
I agree they aren't playing great, but Robertson back at the back, Curtis with a bit of oomph the players in the team have the quality and have shown st times how they can play, but don't seem to do it consistently. Don't think anything will happen before the start of the January window but let's see. The talk of new recruits might get the current ones to buck up a bit
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

It seems to me that some of the newer members want to stir up everything on this board with their negative unresearched dialogue < I find it very strange that the chief villan joined the board two days after Jackett was sacked. After all the Board has only been in existance since May 2006 and many like me moved over from the 606 Board, strange!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:07 am It seems to me that some of the newer members want to stir up everything on this board with their negative unresearched dialogue < I find it very strange that the chief villan joined the board two days after Jackett was sacked. After all the Board has only been in existance since May 2006 and many like me moved over from the 606 Board, strange!
Yup. Also find it strange a lot of posters with the same opinions all have post counts in the single digits or double digits and we’re all created around the same time. Love for Rubi to do an IP check as it wouldn’t surprise me if they were all the same person 🤣
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:15 am Yup. Also find it strange a lot of posters with the same opinions all have post counts in the single digits or double digits and we’re all created around the same time. Love for Rubi to do an IP check as it wouldn’t surprise me if they were all the same person 🤣
Oi! I hope 160 posts (161 now) doesn't include me in that group...

I think this is one of the better Pompey boards and have no problem with people having a different viewpoint to me, after all that's what occurs multiple times daily in the real world. There's not the same number of people destroying every thread with their own petty arguments (In the year I've been a registered member on here I've only noticed a couple of people on here who try to do that) and generally there's a good discussion for most topics. Long may it continue.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:07 am It seems to me that some of the newer members want to stir up everything on this board with their negative unresearched dialogue < I find it very strange that the chief villan joined the board two days after Jackett was sacked. After all the Board has only been in existance since May 2006 and many like me moved over from the 606 Board, strange!
Chief villain?? Who's that??
You want to take a look at the True Blue Army forum and you might see who actually supports the owners and manager, it's about 50/50 I reckon. Just because some have a different opinion does not make them villains. :lol:
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I’m all for free speech. So this is what I think. The original post was a stupid thing to write. I won’t waste words in pointing out the nonsense in it. The first response was all that was needed. And now the sooner this thread is closed, the better.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb