Line up v Wycombe

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Line up v Wycombe

Post by Weybridge »

I was there as well, working my first Pompey game in a media capacity (albeit as a neutral).

I'd have to agree with what Selsey says. It was a strong, committed Pompey performance. Also the first I've seen from Bass which showed he has something beyond just solid keeping fundamentals. The injury time save from Vokes was incredible, but he claimed everything in the box from a tall Wycombe side, and the distribution was quick (probably too quick at times - but Wycombe were overcommitting in midfield and leaving huge gaps at the back).

I was totally wrong about Hirst - he ran the defence ragged, down the middle and in both channels and would have scored seconds after half-time, if not for a great save by Stockdale. I was expecting him to be eaten alive by the giant Tafazolli, but he couldn't cope with Hirst's pace. In fact, the Harness, Hirst and Curtis trio caused havoc, attacking at speed all across the front line. Where Marquis either drops too deep, or turns his back on goal, Hirst was doing the same job in his absence, but always seemed to find space and then run at speed.

I think Wycombe have gotten so used to walking away with three points every time at Adams Park, they continually over stretched, lost possession and then found themselves outpaced on the break. In the end they just went back to Route One, and Raggett and Ogilvie soaked it all up.

Probably not the best game for Azeez to shine, as we were content to hammer down the flanks - but he didn't really put a foot wrong.

A very good Pompey performance, and despite being under the cosh for the last ten minutes, even with Raggetts on the line block, and Voke's point blank header saved, you knew it was going our way.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Thanks Weybridge good luck with your new role
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:50 pm Thanks Weybridge good luck with your new role
Thanks - I'm not allowed to post the good stuff, but here is a rough grab of the goal from my lens (frankly still a better angle than either The News or PFC managed!).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/graewil/5 ... ed-public/
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Weybridge wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:07 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:50 pm Thanks Weybridge good luck with your new role
Thanks - I'm not allowed to post the good stuff, but here is a rough grab of the goal from my lens (frankly still a better angle than either The News or PFC managed!).

Great photo of Harness's goal bound shot, and loads of Staines Town in there too. My local team!
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Weybridge wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:07 pm

great pictures Weybridge, you should think about doing this for a living ;)