Baz or Bass?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Baz or Bass?

Post by Dinksy »

I wonder if politics are going to play a bigger role in this decision than due credit. Let's see if DC will do the right thing even if it upsets Man City.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I sorry but when were we required to make selection decisions based upon the needs of another club to me Bass was at the beginning of last season our number one only losing his place due to injury. I would think if he is dropped for a loanee then he is likely to want to leave.
So to keep another club happy by giving their player experience we lose a player we have nurtured ourselves.
I meant 2019/20 season when he made 15 league appearances
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Both are very good keepers. Happy with either given the job
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I know that by bringing in loan players gives clubs the chance to get players that, under normal circumstances, they would have no hope of getting even if it is briefly. But I am not a massive fan of the loan system but I do accept that it does have it's merits. I would prefer to see one of our own given the chance to make the grade and
gain experience rather than do that for another clubs benefit. I would prefer Bass to be given the opportunity to show that he has what it takes to be a first team regular, even if he is not as good as Baz but still good enough for this league.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

My concern is that if it transpired that we loan players on the basis that they play even if the club has a locally produced alternative we are opening the door effectively to clubs like us being used as a feeder/nursery club for the parent club. It will be interesting tomorrow to see what happens
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Just one other thing to consider Bass would have expected to be our number one choice this year with Mac leaving as it is he will be a free agent at the end of the season. So potentially we lose both I really feel as good as Bazunu is his style of play is not suited to this level as we do not have the necessary quality to play out from the back.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Settled Baz chosen over Bass ah well sorry for the lad
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:13 pm Settled Baz chosen over Bass ah well sorry for the lad
Can’t say I’m not disappointed with that. Can only imagine how Bass must be feeling. Maybe we have a deal with City to loan Sterling in the new year if we keep playing Baz 🧐.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I want the best players playing for us home grown or otherwise.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

We're all pumped up now because we won but I wonder what the long-term damage Cowley's choice has done to the morale of Alex Bass. So much for players needing to play their play into the first team.
If I were him I would be looking for a move ASAP and we would be losing a class goalkeeper just so Cowley can keep in with the big guns of of Premier league.
What are we building here? A platform for home-grown players to come through? Or a platform for Cowley to further his own career?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I perhaps along with many was surprised by this decision I seriously think that Bass when his contract runs out in the summer will be gone
Are we now no more than a nursery time for other clubs
Bazunu may have made a few routine saves today but in general his distribution was pretty average he appears to be unable to play the ball early and accurately
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Dinksy wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:06 pm We're all pumped up now because we won but I wonder what the long-term damage Cowley's choice has done to the morale of Alex Bass. So much for players needing to play their play into the first team.
We're at risk of agreeing again here :thumb

I did have a similar thought. Assuming we're at the start of a multi year rebuild it doesn't speak much for the long term planning if our #1 keeper is likely to want to leave at the end of the season and I can't imagine after the impact Baz has had he'll be here next year on loan. I imagine he'd have suitors in the Championship at least. Unless like I said earlier maybe we have a deal to bring Sterling in on loan should we keep Baz in the first team :rofl

Time will tell.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:20 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:06 pm We're all pumped up now because we won but I wonder what the long-term damage Cowley's choice has done to the morale of Alex Bass. So much for players needing to play their play into the first team.

I did have a similar thought. Assuming we're at the start of a multi year rebuild it doesn't speak much for the long term planning if our #1 keeper is likely to want to leave at the end of the season and I can't imagine after the impact Baz has had he'll be here next year on loan. I imagine he'd have suitors in the Championship at least. Unless like I said earlier maybe we have a deal to bring Sterling in on loan should we keep Baz in the first team :rofl

Time will tell.
I would think maybe Bass will have many suitors on a free transfer so that’s will leave us with no keepers next year all in the sake of keeping a loan and his club happy it stinks
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:28 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Time will tell.
I would think maybe Bass will have many suitors on a free transfer so that’s will leave us with no keepers next year all in the sake of keeping a loan and his club happy it stinks
If its disgusting that we get loan players and actually play them then why the heck do we actually loan anyone?? What would the point be?? The point of a loan I'd to get better players that you couldn't normally afford.
I have no doubt that bass is getting a lot of help from baz and will come out of the season a better keeper whether he is playing regularly or not.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought that Baz had a few shakey moments today. He made some good saves but one was as a result of his mistake. He did make a spectacular save in the second half which could be classed a 'Hollywood' save and one you would expect a keeper at this level to make. I would also wonder if Bass would have saved the penalty as it went down the middle like last week. I also thought the Wimbledon keeper was at error with Jacobs goal. But there is no doubting that Baz is going to be a top keeper, but not with us. Whereas Bass is going to be a good keeper at this level and, probably, higher. Hopefully he will be with us.