Defensive line up for Saturday

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Defensive line up for Saturday

Post by Dinksy »

With Ragget suspended, Robertson and Downing injured, I think we need to give DC some help here. Any suggestions for our middle centre backs?
Personally, I would have no qualms about slotting Lee Brown in there on the left and moving Ogilvie across to the other side. He's a bit lacking in inches but has the aggression, character and experience to make it work for one game. Other than that, we'd have to call in the kids but I wouldn't like to see any of them pitched against Gillingham's big forwards.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Defensive line up for Saturday

Post by Betelgeuse »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:34 am With Ragget suspended, Robertson and Downing injured, I think we need to give DC some help here. Any suggestions for our middle centre backs?
Personally, I would have no qualms about slotting Lee Brown in there on the left and moving Ogilvie across to the other side. He's a bit lacking in inches but has the aggression, character and experience to make it work for one game. Other than that, we'd have to call in the kids but I wouldn't like to see any of them pitched against Gillingham's big forwards.
It'll be Ogilvie and Freeman or Williams at CH I reckon.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Linvoy. He has never let us down.
WJDPFC
Robbie Pethick

Post by WJDPFC »

I guess it depends on whether we play 3 or 4 at the back, but think that it could well be Freeman, Williams and Ogilvie if we play 3 at the back with Romeo and Brown as wing backs. If a 4, then Romeo, Williams, Ogilvie and Brown would be my guess.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Whoever we play in those positions, it is going to be a potential banana skin. The forecast is for very strong winds (gusting up to 40mph) and for rain. Both John Akinde and Vadaine Oliver can be handfuls on their day and will need close marking. Raggett has been immense in the air this season - we will miss him big time.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:56 am Whoever we play in those positions, it is going to be a potential banana skin. The forecast is for very strong winds (gusting up to 40mph) and for rain. Both John Akinde and Vadaine Oliver can be handfuls on their day and will need close marking. Raggett has been immense in the air this season - we will miss him big time.

I'm worried if we do lose at the weekend the doom and gloom merchants will be back out but with the struggles with defensive players and the potential weather issues I think it's going to come down to fine margins.

That being said last time we had those conditions we smashed Sunderland 4-0 so here's hoping for a repeat :rofl
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Looks like DC's opposite number has even bigger problems - three out long-term and another four doubtfuls. Not so much down to the bare bones as scraping the marrow I'd say.