Indefensible and unforgivable

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Indefensible and unforgivable

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:25 pm
uspompeyfan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:19 pm First and foremost, let us consider that we were not there, many of the journalists that wrote these reports may not have been there and it is possible a narrative is leading the charge, not all the facts.

There will be a report as to why the police took so long, and often, new facts come from digesting all the information

While smaller cities have their own SWAT teams, they don't just run-in guns blaring, they do have to have a plan, I'm sure (not being a cop, I'm not trained in these tactics). On our local radio news about an hour ago a reporter mentioned that due to the possibility of lawsuits and the city police budget not being able to support these lawsuits, the local cops were ordered to wait till the 'trained' team showed up. This would then call into question whether police were being constrained by bureaucratic orders rather than being allowed to do what many would consider the right thing. Therefore, is it possible that cities have changed how they do things because of the recent public outcry against the police methods? People can't have it both ways.

Now the racist narrative that seems to be out there. Predominantly Hispanic cops, Hispanic kids and a Hispanic shooter - yet people ask if it would have happened faster if there were white kids involved? Do you seriously think that was an issue at the time? That said, if it is asked on the news, it must be a factor, right? Again, what is the narrative?

Regardless your views on the 2nd Amendment (and most English people don't understand any more than the right to bear arms, or the Constitution in general), they won't change with this or any similar incident. Guns by themselves do not kill people - it is the intent of the person with a finger on the trigger. I would ask this though: The left like to demand tougher laws (restricting the power of law abiding people, not just criminals). However, lets look at what occurs in Cities that have been run at City and State levels in Democrat areas - Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Seattle, Portland and the list goes on. Crime rates involving guns have been rising steadily over the years. The governments have the power to change it, but never do and I would suggest a reason....... you solve the gun problem (whether by increasing Health awareness, more gun laws or heaven forbid a sensible one like armed veterans at all public schools.....both sides call for action, but no one actually does anything) and then gun crime cannot be a political tool any more. Politicians don't want to find solutions to big issues, but they do like to say that they want to. Mitch McConnell, Biden, Pelossi, Schumer et all (yes, both sides) happily seek a resolution, but knowing nothing will get done - however the media narrative can swing to get more people to vote (in hope) for Democrats in the belief that something will get done.

Homeless veterans - put them up in schools and feed them (cafeteria) and in return ask them to defend the schools as they defended their country. Give them a reason to use their training. I have said this for years, and finally have started seeing it on memes.
My veiw is that the amendment to bear arms is an archaic piece of legislation that is out of sync with the modern world. When the amendment was put in place it was commiserate with the time in which they lived. The right to protect yourself in a largely lawless time. Attacks from natives, wild animals and all the other dangers that prevailed at the time. To the best of my knowledge it never allowed for the individual to go and buy themselves a rapid fire assault rifle and a automatic hand gun as a spare. It seems unbelievable that in the modern world where generally the most likely adversary you are likely to need a weapon to protect yourself from is someone body else who has a gun, probably bought from the same shop as yours.
Absolutely dead right. How ridiculous is a nation that allows it's citizens to arm themselves with weapons legally. It's beyond ridiculous, but if you watch American movies, they seem obsessed with guns and violence so it's no wonder really. They're basically still living the Wild West Dream.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Talking of violence, I think there are worrying moods in this country too among normal citizens. Yesterday I was very nearly involved in a situation that could have turned nasty. I'd parked briefly slightly across an access to a small parking area in order to collect a dog from a customer and when I returned there was a car waiting, so I apologised of course but the guy was obnoxious and aggressive. I actually thought he was joking given I'd been less than a minute and he could have got around my van anyway. So after a couple of to and fro's he gets out of his car and comes towards me. I just tried to placate him because I didn't want any trouble but it shook me really as It could have easily escalated. WTF is up with people!! :(
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:16 am Talking of violence, I think there are worrying moods in this country too among normal citizens. Yesterday I was very nearly involved in a situation that could have turned nasty. I'd parked briefly slightly across an access to a small parking area in order to collect a dog from a customer and when I returned there was a car waiting, so I apologised of course but the guy was obnoxious and aggressive. I actually thought he was joking given I'd been less than a minute and he could have got around my van anyway. So after a couple of to and fro's he gets out of his car and comes towards me. I just tried to placate him because I didn't want any trouble but it shook me really as It could have easily escalated. WTF is up with people!! :(
You mean you get people's backs up in real life, not just on forums? :wink:
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:31 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:16 am Talking of violence, I think there are worrying moods in this country too among normal citizens. Yesterday I was very nearly involved in a situation that could have turned nasty. I'd parked briefly slightly across an access to a small parking area in order to collect a dog from a customer and when I returned there was a car waiting, so I apologised of course but the guy was obnoxious and aggressive. I actually thought he was joking given I'd been less than a minute and he could have got around my van anyway. So after a couple of to and fro's he gets out of his car and comes towards me. I just tried to placate him because I didn't want any trouble but it shook me really as It could have easily escalated. WTF is up with people!! :(
It seems so :lol: I stand my ground mainly. :wink:
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by phat_chris »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:41 am
You didn't tell the guy you thought Cowley was useless did you? :lol:
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

phat_chris wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:21 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:41 am
You didn't tell the guy you thought Cowley was useless did you? :lol:
:lol: :lol:
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

My veiw is that the amendment to bear arms is an archaic piece of legislation that is out of sync with the modern world. When the amendment was put in place it was commiserate with the time in which they lived. The right to protect yourself in a largely lawless time. Attacks from natives, wild animals and all the other dangers that prevailed at the time. To the best of my knowledge it never allowed for the individual to go and buy themselves a rapid fire assault rifle and a automatic hand gun as a spare. It seems unbelievable that in the modern world where generally the most likely adversary you are likely to need a weapon to protect yourself from is someone body else who has a gun, probably bought from the same shop as yours.
Sadly, this explains you lack of knowledge of the 2nd Amendment. However, just to appease you, I will play along a bit.

The right to protect yourself was considered a right as a free person, to protect yourself. It was also intended to allow the people to be free from tyranny of a Government that overstepped its control (they didn't want a repeat of a then English style Government with heavy taxation).

There are rules against 'assault rifles'. People also have to undergo background checks - the kid in question passed these checks. Tough checks do not stop criminals, they stop law abiding citizens.

The most likely adversary a person will face is a criminal with a gun. Criminals don't usually go to gun shops to purchase weapons as fellons aren't allowed guns.

If tougher gun laws worked, then cities such as Chicago, Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle and Portland to name a few, wouldn't have rising crime rates. Put armed guards (former vets would be good) in schools and that will shut down the idea of bad guys seeing an easy target.

Guns don't kill people, it is the person with their finger on the trigger. Recently, it has been shown that online bullying is a cause, so why not shut down the internet? No, because that idea is as stupid as blaming the 2nd Amendment.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

PeteM wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:03 am
You'll know this far better than me being over the other side of the pond, but isn't part of the problem how much money the NRA donate to political candidates on both sides (primarily the Republicans in recent years, but also some Democrats?)

It must make trying to put in place some sensible form of gun control more difficult in terms of a conflict of interest. There seems to be a pretty wide consensus that access to assault weapons shouldn't be necessary, whatever your view on access to guns as a whole.
The NRA used to be a mainly educational organisation, who maintain that all gun owners have a duty to be responsible and educated on handling and firing a gun. They are major donors to the GOP because the GOP supports the 2nd Amendment. The left have been wanting tougher gun laws for eons and it is a main election strategy. The country is split 50/50 on the 2nd Amendment but it won't go away.

I have mentioned in other comments on this thread, the record of those cities that have the toughest gun laws and this is the best proof that stricter laws are designed to provide the Government with greater power, not to give the people a safer environment. Criminals can always get guns.

Neither side really wants to do away with the 2nd Amendment - basically, solve the problem and the politician loses an emotional talking point (yes, it could be that simple). Key issues that can garner votes will never be top of a politicians priority because they need to use it over and over (guns, race, poverty, gay rights and the alphabet community is the latest - and I use that term simply because I don't want to miss a letter out, which is accepted here).

When I first came out, I shared many of the same views, coming from England. Living here, understanding the Constitution and a deeper knowledge of what it means, I do have strong feelings today on the subject. I don't own a gun myself, but will defend the right for others to do so.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by PeteM »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:02 pm
PeteM wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:03 am
You'll know this far better than me being over the other side of the pond, but isn't part of the problem how much money the NRA donate to political candidates on both sides (primarily the Republicans in recent years, but also some Democrats?)

It must make trying to put in place some sensible form of gun control more difficult in terms of a conflict of interest. There seems to be a pretty wide consensus that access to assault weapons shouldn't be necessary, whatever your view on access to guns as a whole.
The NRA used to be a mainly educational organisation, who maintain that all gun owners have a duty to be responsible and educated on handling and firing a gun. They are major donors to the GOP because the GOP supports the 2nd Amendment. The left have been wanting tougher gun laws for eons and it is a main election strategy. The country is split 50/50 on the 2nd Amendment but it won't go away.

I have mentioned in other comments on this thread, the record of those cities that have the toughest gun laws and this is the best proof that stricter laws are designed to provide the Government with greater power, not to give the people a safer environment. Criminals can always get guns.

Neither side really wants to do away with the 2nd Amendment - basically, solve the problem and the politician loses an emotional talking point (yes, it could be that simple). Key issues that can garner votes will never be top of a politicians priority because they need to use it over and over (guns, race, poverty, gay rights and the alphabet community is the latest - and I use that term simply because I don't want to miss a letter out, which is accepted here).

When I first came out, I shared many of the same views, coming from England. Living here, understanding the Constitution and a deeper knowledge of what it means, I do have strong feelings today on the subject. I don't own a gun myself, but will defend the right for others to do so.
Thanks for the reply - interesting to hear a different perspective from someone much closer to the situation.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 30 times

Post by StMonkton »

I don’t profess to understand the totemic value of the Second Amendment so it is interesting to hear points from someone close to the issue. By his own evidence, that only represents what half the people think.

Acknowledging my lack of detailed study, some alternative points:

Is gun control strong in the cites mentioned as a result of high gun crime? You surely weren’t citing it as a cause.

Why is the US gun homicide rate many times that of theUK? That’s after adjusting for population difference.
I would say one reason is the high number of guns available.

Who needs to own an assault weapon?

I may well have this wrong but I thought the amendment was designed to enable fast mobilisation of a militia rather than personal self defence. This sounds logical if a threat of armed invasion was perceived.
Seems a bit extreme and irrelevant 250 years later as a protection against high taxes.

I wasn’t in favour of the tightening of gun laws here as a response to the Dunblane school massacre. In the quarter of a century since, I don’t think gun crime has increased greatly. Fatal stabbing has of course but that is another issue.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I find many Americans care about the constitution in the same way many Christians care about the bible. They pick and chose which aspects they want to care about and follow. And in both cases those aspects usually conform to their pre-made opinions on things.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:50 pm
Sadly, this explains you lack of knowledge of the 2nd Amendment. However, just to appease you, I will play along a bit.

The right to protect yourself was considered a right as a free person, to protect yourself. It was also intended to allow the people to be free from tyranny of a Government that overstepped its control (they didn't want a repeat of a then English style Government with heavy taxation).

There are rules against 'assault rifles'. People also have to undergo background checks - the kid in question passed these checks. Tough checks do not stop criminals, they stop law abiding citizens.

The most likely adversary a person will face is a criminal with a gun. Criminals don't usually go to gun shops to purchase weapons as fellons aren't allowed guns.

If tougher gun laws worked, then cities such as Chicago, Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle and Portland to name a few, wouldn't have rising crime rates. Put armed guards (former vets would be good) in schools and that will shut down the idea of bad guys seeing an easy target.

Guns don't kill people, it is the person with their finger on the trigger. Recently, it has been shown that online bullying is a cause, so why not shut down the internet? No, because that idea is as stupid as blaming the 2nd Amendment.
You make some good points, particularly regarding online bullying - but that's a global issue. Nobody is shooting up schools anywhere else in the world. Does that make Americans just naturally more psychotic than other nations? Of course not, but ready access to guns and ammunition makes the ability to commit the crime that much easier and almost all crime is borne out of opportunity. Take away the opportunity and you take away the crime, or at least large swathes of it. This kid bought two AR-15s and about 1500 rounds on or just after after his eighteenth birthday. That wasn't a giant red flag? The background check isn't fit for purpose.

The 2nd Amendment calls for a well-regulated militia. Well regulated, its anything but. And sadly, its the law-abiding citizens who carry out a large number of these atrocities as well.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476 ... s-weapons/

It may be people who kill, not the guns, but its the guns which have become the greater problem. Not least because there are more guns than people. At what point does that ratio make any sense at all, unless you are a manufacturer of the arms themselves? They are the only ones who are benefitting.

As for armed guards in every school, surely you know that's impossible? It seems there are 130,000 schools in the US. Say a bare minimum of two guards per school to allow for sickness and time off, forgetting for a moment that some school grounds are also absolutely huge. These guards aren't going to be on minimum wage, and will probably be on hazard pay just for the very nature of their job. Plus weapons training, what 3-4 times per year? I don't know much about firearms training, but I bet you get rusty if you don't practice. Who's paying for this? Where are a quarter of a million guards coming from? Thats the equivalent of putting about a fifth of the current serving US Army in schools.

From outside of the US, looking in - its just insanity, driven by partisan beliefs and fear mongering.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Can anyone explain why Guns are banned at the NRA when Trump is speaking? At least be consistent.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/25/11011818 ... 4022067821
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Weybridge wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:04 pm

You make some good points, particularly regarding online bullying - but that's a global issue. Nobody is shooting up schools anywhere else in the world. Does that make Americans just naturally more psychotic than other nations? Of course not, but ready access to guns and ammunition makes the ability to commit the crime that much easier and almost all crime is borne out of opportunity. Take away the opportunity and you take away the crime, or at least large swathes of it. This kid bought two AR-15s and about 1500 rounds on or just after after his eighteenth birthday. That wasn't a giant red flag? The background check isn't fit for purpose.

The 2nd Amendment calls for a well-regulated militia. Well regulated, its anything but. And sadly, its the law-abiding citizens who carry out a large number of these atrocities as well.

It may be people who kill, not the guns, but its the guns which have become the greater problem. Not least because there are more guns than people. At what point does that ratio make any sense at all, unless you are a manufacturer of the arms themselves? They are the only ones who are benefitting.

As for armed guards in every school, surely you know that's impossible? It seems there are 130,000 schools in the US. Say a bare minimum of two guards per school to allow for sickness and time off, forgetting for a moment that some school grounds are also absolutely huge. These guards aren't going to be on minimum wage, and will probably be on hazard pay just for the very nature of their job. Plus weapons training, what 3-4 times per year? I don't know much about firearms training, but I bet you get rusty if you don't practice. Who's paying for this? Where are a quarter of a million guards coming from? Thats the equivalent of putting about a fifth of the current serving US Army in schools.

From outside of the US, looking in - its just insanity, driven by partisan beliefs and fear mongering.
Statistics can be deceiving based on the nuance of where the user wants to go. Any mass shooting is bad and it is horrendous for parents to send their kids to school, not knowing if they'll get home. I get the negative comments and, as homeschooling parents, we do look at each other and give it as another reason we don't send our kids to school.

However, as I mentioned earlier, this is a problem that won't be solved, because it provides both sides with political ammunition every couple of years. We have millions of guns in this country (I do not know the exact number, but I heard it is more than the number of citizens). With that many guns, they will never be got rid of. With that said, law abiding citizens do need to defend themselves against the criminals with guns - and when the bad guys know the good guys have guns, they stay clear (no chances taken).

The media has a large part to play in this too, as the narrative on the media is anti-gun and increased legislation. Sadly, if it doesn't fit the narrative, no one ever hears it. Ultimately, the Government wants power over the people and America is the last of the free nations (Sorry but the UK has too much Government control to be called free). The freedom I had in the 90s is different to what people are hanging on to now. When you talk about militia, it was for times such as this. If the 2nd Amendment goes, the government can confiscate the guns and leave the people defenseless and a Constitutional Republic will dissolve into a Dictatorship in no time (2020 - 2022 shows us how fast it can happen).
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:59 pm
Weybridge wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:04 pm

Statistics can be deceiving based on the nuance of where the user wants to go. Any mass shooting is bad and it is horrendous for parents to send their kids to school, not knowing if they'll get home. I get the negative comments and, as homeschooling parents, we do look at each other and give it as another reason we don't send our kids to school.

However, as I mentioned earlier, this is a problem that won't be solved, because it provides both sides with political ammunition every couple of years. We have millions of guns in this country (I do not know the exact number, but I heard it is more than the number of citizens). With that many guns, they will never be got rid of. With that said, law abiding citizens do need to defend themselves against the criminals with guns - and when the bad guys know the good guys have guns, they stay clear (no chances taken).

The media has a large part to play in this too, as the narrative on the media is anti-gun and increased legislation. Sadly, if it doesn't fit the narrative, no one ever hears it. Ultimately, the Government wants power over the people and America is the last of the free nations (Sorry but the UK has too much Government control to be called free). The freedom I had in the 90s is different to what people are hanging on to now. When you talk about militia, it was for times such as this. If the 2nd Amendment goes, the government can confiscate the guns and leave the people defenseless and a Constitutional Republic will dissolve into a Dictatorship in no time (2020 - 2022 shows us how fast it can happen).
This sounds a bit paranoid to me. We have a huge knife crime problem in London, if it was made easy for everyone to purchase a knife then the problem wouldn't reduce, it would exacerbate. I actually like America but would have reservations about visiting again purely down to the amount of shootings that happen. It's all very random.