The Jubilee

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

The Jubilee

Post by New Forester »

Anything happening in Pompey?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: The Jubilee

Post by Betelgeuse »

There's a street party in Clanfield!! Tomorrow in the rain... :roll:
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Love to see The Pistols redo the barge up the Thames....but I think Jon's a little peeved at the rest right now.
They did re-release God Save the Queen though.
Div III. Call it what it is.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I see the Spinnaker Tower was one of just a handful of iconic British buildings to be projected onto Buck Palace :D
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I have been away in Wales last week but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of Jubilee celebrations around where I live. I have got my flags up as I do for all national events such as Trafalgar day, St Georges day, D Day commemorations, sporting events that involve our country and etcetera.

However, I am not a Royalist and I find these celebrations an over dose of sycophantic deliberations. If I had the power I would not get rid of the Monarchy as head of state and install a Republic. I would like to see it modernised along with the removal of the House of Lords in its present state. Having a monarch as head of state removes the existence of a body having overall power, in my opinion. I think that there is too much emphasis on what the Royal family do and think. In the main they are no different to the rest of us with all the 'warts and all'. I think the present Queen is an admirable person with a deep sense of duty but that is not represented throughout her family and certainly not throughout the Royal line in her predecessors.

Having said all of that I think it has been wonderful to see people coming together and see how much joy that has brought around the country. Just not round here it seems.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

It has at least pushed other depressing subjects into the background for a few days. Back to normal this week.

Well done England, Wales and Rafa today.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

As an ex-pat, I did enjoy all the Pomp and Ceremony. Laura watched as much as she could but we did spend more time watching the videos on You Tube.

The Royal family still produces so much income for GB - it used to be the third or fourth generator of income and I'm sure tourism got a major boost this week (as it does for Royal weddings and such). the US loves our ceremony and the Royals did a great job (even the snub on the former Royal Harry and Megan, was done in a classy way).
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.