Ronan Curtis to Hibs for £500k

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Ronan Curtis to Hibs for £500k

Post by Jack_Tinn »

The News are reporting that Hibs are in for Ronan Curtis with a fee likely to be agreed at £0.5m

Perhaps this explains the re-signing of Crackers.

You'd think that money could be used to sign Carter from Blackburn or a striker or two
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Ronan Curtis to Hibs for £500k

Post by New Forester »

Scottish Premier = English Championship?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

a few years ago Adam Rooney went from Aberdeen to Salford, when they were still national league.
standard in scotland, bar the glasgow 2 isnt great
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:49 pm The News are reporting that Hibs are in for Ronan Curtis with a fee likely to be agreed at £0.5m

You'd think that money could be used to sign Carter from Blackburn or a striker or two
Let’s hope he chooses Blackburn and perhaps a straight swap with Carter?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:21 pm a few years ago Adam Rooney went from Aberdeen to Salford, when they were still national league.
standard in scotland, bar the glasgow 2 isnt great
That was nothing to do with the quality of the football it was widely reported that they offered him double the wages it was when Salford got promotion by driving a bus through financial fair play rules and got away with it because of who their owners are.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:49 pm

Not a like for like in anyway if that’s the reason you get 100 percent from Curtis but Jacobs drifts in and out of games and doesn’t track back.
Statistics show Curtis is our most creative and dangerous paper over the past 3 years rarely injured but a bit gobby so picks up a few to many cards.
500k isn’t going to replace him in anyway at all
After a little more thought I suspect that Cowley sees Hume as the natural replacement who’s career so far show there is no comparison. Doesn’t score can’t defend and crap at making decent opportunities from what I saw last season.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Isn't Curtis one of our highest earners? I imagine Curtis is on a fair whack so it might not be just about the money we make from selling but the wages it frees up? Just spitballing.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:08 pm Isn't Curtis one of our highest earners? I imagine Curtis is on a fair whack so it might not be just about the money we make from selling but the wages it frees up? Just spitballing.
I would be surprised if he is on that much more than average but if he is it because he’s worth it.
So following this logic we need to sell any asset earning his agreed contract to free up wages for inferior players. We were told that there would not be a major overhaul this window preferring a degree of continuity with exist squad player whilst looking to improve on areas where we are weak. All I’m seeing if this is true is another window scrabbling around as the season start approaches and ending up with second rate loan players to bolster an already weak squad.
And before everyone starts Bazunu was not a second rate loan just in my view an unnecessary one
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

It partly depends on if Curtis wants to be here or not. I know he's dragged his feet before and made it clear he wants to go.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

We have seen Curtis at both his best and worst - the board is split realistically between him being awesome and lazy....so we could guess that he is awesomely lazy. Either way, I would to understand the direction for this season from the manager - another year of rebuilding or push for promotion. Once we know what the owner's goals are (should mirror the manager) then we can get a better picture on whether this was good or bad business.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I’ve never thought he is lazy stroppy and can lose interest but certainly never lazy he tends to give 100 percent and get to involved sometimes hence his regular bookings
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 31 times

Post by StMonkton »

I understand and sympathise with the financial constraints the club faces. Nonetheless, this starts to look like doing whatever we can to reduce costs.

I fear our recruitment may be late and made up largely of players unwanted at their clubs, ie. Frees or loans.

Will we cut the manager slack if that’s the case, given this was supposed to be the third and final of the transition windows?

Am I getting pessimistic too soon?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

StMonkton wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:07 pm I understand and sympathise with the financial constraints the club faces. Nonetheless, this starts to look like doing whatever we can to reduce costs.

I fear our recruitment may be late and made up largely of players unwanted at their clubs, ie. Frees or loans.

Will we cut the manager slack if that’s the case, given this was supposed to be the third and final of the transition windows?

Am I getting pessimistic too soon?
I think a number of us are starting to feel the same as yourself however will I cut Cowley sum slack, certainly not he is responsible for any changes to the team and the owners have been clear they are backing his judgement regarding players coming and going.
I was under the impression that there is no need to offload anymore players purely on a cost basis after after the last transfer window.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I suppose it is too early to start making judgements as we don't know how true these stories are. Not only that we dont know that if they are true there is something tasty waiting in the wings. So for now it is all purely speculation and conjecture.

However, my speculation is that Harness is also on the move, which is something he thinks himself. I am told that he expects to be sold because it was only the option clause operated and he wasn't offered fresh terms for a new contract. It stands to reason that if Harness is only tied to the club for one season they are not looking beyond that. If he was to have a barnstorming season he can walk away as a free agent at the end of next season. So therefore with him on contract for 12 months he has more value now and, apparently, he believes he is off.

If this speculation is true it would make nonsense of what Cowley said at the end of last season about continuity. There are currently 3 players whose Pompey future is up in the air and adding them to the players already departed plus the loan players going back. Baring this in mind I would say that 'marking time' is the name of the game. All this could well be just speculation but I have had my suspicions for some time now.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Perhaps we are going to play wingbacks next season? We had a pretty lopsided squad left over from KJ.