England 0 Hungary 4

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

England 0 Hungary 4

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I blame Channel 4 :roll:
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: England 0 Hungary 4

Post by New Forester »

Brilliant 5th day at Trent Bridge.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Very disappointed in that last night. Hungry looked a decent side but I wonder whether that was because we made them look good and, not forgetting, they are ranked 40th in the world whereas we are ranked in the top 4. I don't think tiredness is a valid excuse being at the end of a long season because our opposition will have been through much the same. Tactics and physiological things possible came into play where Hungry could approach the game differently being the away team and the underdog. Also playing England was a big deal and scalp for them. However, there is no getting away from the fact that we presently have players who are hugely talented and, possibly, the biggest batch of young players that are at world class level that we have ever had at one time. For me the biggest let down is the way we play where ball retention is the most important thing. Hardly any forward passes being attempted and the lack of ambition to take players on through fear of losing the ball. Earlier in Southgate's leadership young players coming into the team had a more cavalier attitude but that seems to have been coached out of them.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by New Forester »

All very well, but too many times we lost the ball when taking players on in crowded spaces!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

I don't care about this competition and I don't think Southgate or the players do. Unfortunately there were 29000 last night who did care about seeing England, so it's a big problem at the moment.

Molineux's a great stadium. If we end up with something like that I'd be very happy.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 am I don't think tiredness is a valid excuse being at the end of a long season because our opposition will have been through much the same.
I don't think that's a fair comment.

Kane - 50 appearances this season
Sallai - 36 appearances this season

I've not gone through the whole team last night so just picking out two players at random but from the handful I've seen the average England player definitely played way more games than the average Hungary player.

I agree with pretty much everything else you mentioned though. :thumb
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

IMHO the players look scared, their first thought every time was to look back or square.
bad decisions were made, couple of passes that could have been made werent, bowen could have put Kane through, chose to take it himself and lost it.
too many crosses whether from open play or set pieces hit the first man, or sailed way way over everyone.
all round disapointing display, on another night 4 of their 5 shots on target dont go in
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:57 am
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 am I don't think tiredness is a valid excuse being at the end of a long season because our opposition will have been through much the same.
I don't think that's a fair comment.

Kane - 50 appearances this season
Sallai - 36 appearances this season

I've not gone through the whole team last night so just picking out two players at random but from the handful I've seen the average England player definitely played way more games than the average Hungary player.

I agree with pretty much everything else you mentioned though. :thumb
OK, fair comment. I hadn't looked at the Hungarian side in terms of games played. I just assumed that it would be much the same for most European players with their seasons just finishing. Kane himself said that he didn't feel tired and was raring to go in a pre match interview. During the season the tiredness argument surfaces but I would think that players would be training more or less depending on playing time.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

Would a player say they were 'leggy' if a lion jumped out in front of them - oh where I have heard that inspirational line before ! - to be fair one of his better ones early on.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 am For me the biggest let down is the way we play where ball retention is the most important thing. Hardly any forward passes being attempted and the lack of ambition to take players on through fear of losing the ball. Earlier in Southgate's leadership young players coming into the team had a more cavalier attitude but that seems to have been coached out of them.
I find myself increasingly agreeing with you, and in particular this.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour