Rumour - new GK incoming

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Rumour - new GK incoming

Post by Selsey Bill »

Kingo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:56 pm As it seems we're not considered ready for a promotion push until the infrastructure is sorted, why not play Bass who is more than adequate and may be good enough to generate a transfer fee at the end of it, and get a steady journeyman to sit on the bench? Use the loans to get some attacking players to at least entertain us a bit.
Hello Kingo, haven't spoken before, but welcome to this MB. Interested to know where on earth you get the idea from that we're not ready for a promotion push? Not sure Danny Cowley would feel the same.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:03 pm
Kingo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:56 pm As it seems we're not considered ready for a promotion push until the infrastructure is sorted, why not play Bass who is more than adequate and may be good enough to generate a transfer fee at the end of it, and get a steady journeyman to sit on the bench? Use the loans to get some attacking players to at least entertain us a bit.
Marlon Pack seemed convinced enough by the promotion push idea to sign.
Maybe I’m getting cynical in old age but does anyone else maybe think that signing Pack is a headline generating move to silence criticism of our current transfer activity after all midfield is possibly the area which needs the minimum of new faces
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:41 pm
Maybe I’m getting cynical in old age but does anyone else maybe think that signing Pack is a headline generating move to silence criticism of our current transfer activity after all midfield is possibly the area which needs the minimum of new faces
FFS :roll:
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

No, to be honest, I think we've signed him because we think he'll improve the side and will make us better. And that some of our other midfield options may possibly be a little injury prone so we probably do need more numbers. Hopefully he's the first of many.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

PeteM wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:12 pm
No, to be honest, I think we've signed him because we think he'll improve the side and will make us better. And that some of our other midfield options may possibly be a little injury prone so we probably do need more numbers. Hopefully he's the first of many.
I'm with you Pete :thumb
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

PeteM wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:12 pm
I'm also with Pete
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pardon the off-topic intrusion, but you wouldn't happen to have once been a Ventnor gardener of repute, would you?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think that being a supporter of most football clubs would make one cynical, young or old. I hope this is not the 'main' signing, although a very good one it has to be said, as there are other areas more pressing that needs attention, which I am sure everyone involved with Pompey will know. As you know I have my doubts and suspicions concerning our club and could well seem cynical but, in all fairness, we can only wait until the end of the window to make any judgements of merit, or the lack of it. The early signs are not encouraging but hopefully my suspicions are proved to be wrong and any cynicism is misplaced.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Concerning this particular discussion my view is that Bass deserves a chance. He hasn't let us down when he has played and his last game was a man of the match display that should have earnt him, at the very least, a place for the following game. If we loan another keeper from a Premier League club then we all know he will have the shirt ahead of Bass, as has already been shown Cowley will favour the loan player. Not giving Bass a chance will send a detrimental message to youngsters coming through the youth ranks.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

When is this new keeper expected to arrive exactly? I got the impression the signing was imminent?

EDIT: Rumours on Twitter the new keeper signing is in fact Josh Griffiths from West Brom?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Claygate wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 am When is this new keeper expected to arrive exactly? I got the impression the signing was imminent?

EDIT: Rumours on Twitter the new keeper signing is in fact Josh Griffiths from West Brom?
He is the keeper who kept the Brighton lad out of the England age level teams I was under the impression from what I’ve read that West Brom are not going to make a decision until after preseason if he will be loaned or not
Anyway still doesn’t change my view regarding Bass
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I'm struggling to get my thoughts into some sort of coherent form with this.

Bass was so highly rated a couple of seasons ago, that he forced his way past C-Mac into the first team. That may or may not have been to allow Palace or others to watch him in meaningful match action, but either way, that's how highly rated he was.

So last summer we get Bazunu in. Bass, as I recall, was in goal for the first game, then Bazunu ousts him for the rest of the season, and I don't think many would argue that this was justified.

We send Bass out on loan, to get him game time. Why? I would have assumed so that he gets first-team league-level experience, with a view to him being no.1 this forthcoming season. In which case, why did we get shot of the benchwarmer, as soon as we could?

Perhaps the injury has dented Bass' confidence too much, and he is no longer the shining starlet we were led to believe he was.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:56 pm

Perhaps the injury has dented Bass' confidence too much, and he is no longer the shining starlet we were led to believe he was.
By all accounts his performance at Wycombe last year hardly seemed to be a player lacking confidence and Mark Hughes sticking with him at Bradford I think says the same.
I really can’t see him wanting so sit on the bench until January this year if the shirt is again given to a loanee with no competition for the spot.
So next season we will have lost Bass and the loanee thus needing 2 new keepers unless Cowley has a magic keeper tree with loads of other players with potential.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:21 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:56 pm

By all accounts his performance at Wycombe last year hardly seemed to be a player lacking confidence and Mark Hughes sticking with him at Bradford I think says the same.
I really can’t see him wanting so sit on the bench until January this year if the shirt is again given to a loanee with no competition for the spot.
So next season we will have lost Bass and the loanee thus needing 2 new keepers unless Cowley has a magic keeper tree with loads of other players with potential.
Agree with both points.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

Sherlock, not guilty. Mowing the grass is about my limit.