Fratton Park 1899 - ye olde photo

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Fratton Park 1899 - ye olde photo

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:50 pm Anyone worked out where the ball is? It looks like it was a Pompey attack and the Pompey centre forward has just missed a sitter. Apparently it was the Most Honourable Jonathan of Marquis Esquire.
being headed away by the defender - left hand side centre half/covering left back type position
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:46 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:50 pm Anyone worked out where the ball is? It looks like it was a Pompey attack and the Pompey centre forward has just missed a sitter. Apparently it was the Most Honourable Jonathan of Marquis Esquire.
being headed away by the defender - left hand side centre half/covering left back type position

Yes I saw it but it took some looking. The 6 yard box is a semi circular in this picture. I thought that by the time this picture was taken that the pitch was marked out much the same as now. Having nets was a later addition but not that later I wouldn't have thought.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Actually, what I have written about Arthur Conan Doyle is a load of tosh apparently, much like most of the other stuff I post I can hear you say. I checked his involvement with Pompey but it was prior to the professional club and it was with Portsmouth AFC, which was the amateur club. This was the forerunner of the professional team. The article I read said that he played under the name of Smith and he played in goal. I am pretty sure that when I went the the Conan Doyle exhibition there was a section dealing with his sporting life and the information given was that he played at left back under the puesdinom of A. N. Other. Also I think that it said that he was instrumental in the forming of the professional team. I will delve further to keep you all informed because I am sure you are all interested. I do know that he was very much involved in Spiritualism and was a regular at the Portsmouth Spiritualist Church. So before you all collapse in a yawning fit beware because he could well be standing behind you.

I am off to find something useful to do with my day instead of boring people on this board.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:32 am Actually, what I have written about Arthur Conan Doyle is a load of tosh apparently, much like most of the other stuff I post I can hear you say. I checked his involvement with Pompey but it was prior to the professional club and it was with Portsmouth AFC, which was the amateur club. This was the forerunner of the professional team. The article I read said that he played under the name of Smith and he played in goal. I am pretty sure that when I went the the Conan Doyle exhibition there was a section dealing with his sporting life and the information given was that he played at left back under the puesdinom of A. N. Other. Also I think that it said that he was instrumental in the forming of the professional team. I will delve further to keep you all informed because I am sure you are all interested. I do know that he was very much involved in Spiritualism and was a regular at the Portsmouth Spiritualist Church. So before you all collapse in a yawning fit beware because he could well be standing behind you.

I am off to find something useful to do with my day instead of boring people on this board.
I always understood he played in goal. I believe that fact was once used in the Odd One Out round in an early Have I Got News For You.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 am
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:32 am Actually, what I have written about Arthur Conan Doyle is a load of tosh apparently, much like most of the other stuff I post I can hear you say. I checked his involvement with Pompey but it was prior to the professional club and it was with Portsmouth AFC, which was the amateur club. This was the forerunner of the professional team. The article I read said that he played under the name of Smith and he played in goal. I am pretty sure that when I went the the Conan Doyle exhibition there was a section dealing with his sporting life and the information given was that he played at left back under the puesdinom of A. N. Other. Also I think that it said that he was instrumental in the forming of the professional team. I will delve further to keep you all informed because I am sure you are all interested. I do know that he was very much involved in Spiritualism and was a regular at the Portsmouth Spiritualist Church. So before you all collapse in a yawning fit beware because he could well be standing behind you.

I always understood he played in goal. I believe that fact was once used in the Odd One Out round in an early Have I Got News For You.
OK, thanks. It does look like I have got that wrong then.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Surely that's not Fratton Park in it's current location. Looks to be way too close to water.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Bluesbro' wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:40 pm Surely that's not Fratton Park in it's current location. Looks to be way too close to water.
Don't forget that there was no sea defences at that time so the sea would come much closer at high tide. Either that or its somewhere else and/or it's not Pompey.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Not really up on where the coastline was in 1899. Just thinking if that is Hayling with the IoW to the right then the pitch must be 90deg off what it is now. the skyline of the IoW looks a bit suspect too, looks like there are mountains on it. :shock:
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Was this the first”spot the ball” competition?
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Brilliant photo. Interesting pitch markings too, it looks more like a 5-a-side penalty/goal area.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Don't tell the Coalition it's the Eisners blueprint
blue-two
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by blue-two »

FatBlueAde wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:59 pm Bit before my time lol, but thought this was interesting when it popped up on a footie ground site.
Brilliant.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

blue-two wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:03 am
FatBlueAde wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:59 pm Bit before my time lol, but thought this was interesting when it popped up on a footie ground site.
Brilliant.
But I don't think that this is Fratton Park in its current location on the island.

All the ninteenth century maps show the full island as it exists now. Thus the current FP is around 1.3 miles from the nearest sea. FP is not as close as shown in the pic.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Elementary my dear Walter
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Milton End wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 am
blue-two wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:03 am
Brilliant.
But I don't think that this is Fratton Park in its current location on the island.

All the ninteenth century maps show the full island as it exists now. Thus the current FP is around 1.3 miles from the nearest sea. FP is not as close as shown in the pic.
Much "land" on the eastern side of island has been reclaimed, east of `Eastern Road`and the Langstone area of Portsmouth. When I was at school in Tangiers Road (SGS) in the early sixties we watched from our classroom windows the refuse lorries tipping their loads in order to create the base for the reclaimation. Today much of that `land` is now built on.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man