First striker incoming…

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: First striker incoming…

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:22 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:06 pm
eltorrro wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:10 pm Apparently we are just about to make another signing according to the BBC Sports News. This will be interesting and it may give us a sign on what to expect this summer in the way of recruitment.
Signing made but it's not a striker...not even a player!!!

Apparently it's an Academy coach..yep, that will help? 8)
yep, who needs coaches in the academy eh, why would we want to coach the youngsters and bring them through, what a waste of time and money that is
OK, why would the Chief Executive announce an imminent signing when, if they know how a lot of the support are thinking, people are getting concerned at the lack of new players coming in? When the news report went out it said "Andy Cullen has told the BBC that the club are very close to making a signing", that would lead most to thinking it was a player. Being a member of the non playing staff I would have thought that news could have waited until after the completion or announced as a new staff member. Nobody is suggesting we don't need coaches because we do but we need players as well for our promotion push.
My reading of the Cullen answer to Radio Solent was in the coming days /week
And said we are going away from out of contract free agents a little for young emerging talent (unproven and cheap)
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:10 pm Apparently we are just about to make another signing according to the BBC Sports News. This will be interesting and it may give us a sign on what to expect this summer in the way of recruitment.

yep, who needs coaches in the academy eh, why would we want to coach the youngsters and bring them through, what a waste of time and money that is
OK, why would the Chief Executive announce an imminent signing when, if they know how a lot of the support are thinking, people are getting concerned at the lack of new players coming in? When the news report went out it said "Andy Cullen has told the BBC that the club are very close to making a signing", that would lead most to thinking it was a player. Being a member of the non playing staff I would have thought that news could have waited until after the completion or announced as a new staff member. Nobody is suggesting we don't need coaches because we do but we need players as well for our promotion push.
Just maybe we're also going to sign a player imminently as well, and the announcement of the new coach is totally separate?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

PeteM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:46 pm

Just maybe we're also going to sign a player imminently as well, and the announcement of the new coach is totally separate?
The Radio Solent interview was clearly about players arriving in the next few days/week
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

PeteM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:46 pm

That is a reasonable thought I suppose. If we sign someone in the next couple of days that would make sense. The academy does need sorting out as it has a very poor reputation at the moment. I know this from people very close to the coaching staff. I also know youngsters who have been through the system and the parents are far from happy at their kids treatment.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I also know youngsters who have been through the system and the parents are far from happy at their kids treatment.
[/quote]

I guess you know the parents of Bass
(Sorry just couldn’t resist it)
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:17 pm I also know youngsters who have been through the system and the parents are far from happy at their kids treatment.
I guess you know the parents of Bass
(Sorry just couldn’t resist it)
[/quote]

Actually I don't, but I do know his uncle Dubs (as he is known). Yeah me and Dubs go back a long way.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

so it seems the club cant win, announce they hope to announce a signing soon and they get panned for not announcing it instantly, dont say anything till a player is signed and they get panned for not keeping the fans informed :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:22 am so it seems the club cant win, announce they hope to announce a signing soon and they get panned for not announcing it instantly, dont say anything till a player is signed and they get panned for not keeping the fans informed :thumb
I think you are overstating the reaction in your admirable support for everything the club does and says. I would think that most people agree with the clubs policy of not announcing potential signings as sensible and understandable. Obviously fans of any club want to know what their club is doing and experience the highs & lows that comes with supporting their club. In this particular instance Mr Cullen made a statement that the club were going to announce an imminent signing which, it appears, is a member of the training staff. Obviously it is an important addition for the clubs off field running. However most people thought that the announcement of an imminent signing alluded to that of a much needed player which, as already discussed, it still could be. As it turned out to be not the case in this instance it caused disappointment. It seems to me that some people who have the temerity to criticise the club and don't accept everything the club says or does are seen as 'non supporters' and moaners.

People may well accept that everything the club say and do is the gospel truth and right which makes them top supporters for sticking up for the club. However I believe that by holding the club to account and questioning their actions where it is applicable and appropriate are more important in supporting the club than just doffing you cap
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:04 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:22 am so it seems the club cant win, announce they hope to announce a signing soon and they get panned for not announcing it instantly, dont say anything till a player is signed and they get panned for not keeping the fans informed :thumb
I think you are overstating the reaction in your admirable support for everything the club does and says. I would think that most people agree with the clubs policy of not announcing potential signings as sensible and understandable. Obviously fans of any club want to know what their club is doing and experience the highs & lows that comes with supporting their club. In this particular instance Mr Cullen made a statement that the club were going to announce an imminent signing which, it appears, is a member of the training staff. Obviously it is an important addition for the clubs off field running. However most people thought that the announcement of an imminent signing alluded to that of a much needed player which, as already discussed, it still could be. As it turned out to be not the case in this instance it caused disappointment. It seems to me that some people who have the temerity to criticise the club and don't accept everything the club says or does are seen as 'non supporters' and moaners.

People may well accept that everything the club say and do is the gospel truth and right which makes them top supporters for sticking up for the club. However I believe that by holding the club to account and questioning their actions where it is applicable and appropriate are more important in supporting the club than just doffing you cap
where did i say that i accept everything they say ???
all i was pointing out was that people have been bemoaning the fact the club haven't been saying we are going to sign this player on this day, and when they say we have some signings incoming they get blasted for not specifying exact dates and players.
from past experience, Michael Carrick being a prime example, i would prefer that the club do not say anything till a player has signed on the dotted line, equally I have to believe that the club are actively trying to sign players.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:19 am
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:04 am

where did i say that i accept everything they say ???
all i was pointing out was that people have been bemoaning the fact the club haven't been saying we are going to sign this player on this day, and when they say we have some signings incoming they get blasted for not specifying exact dates and players.
from past experience, Michael Carrick being a prime example, i would prefer that the club do not say anything till a player has signed on the dotted line, equally I have to believe that the club are actively trying to sign players.
Absolutely agree and Carrick was a prime example as you have rightly pointed out. Interestingly Mr Cullen featured in an article in the local Ipswich paper highlighting the dangers to signing players by making announcements in advance. I would think most level headed supporters would agree with the silence policy. As I have said I think you have overstated this particular instance because I haven't seen a post where there is a complaint that the club do not give direct signing details. The disappointment comes from announcing a signing was imminent but, as things stand, it wasn't a player that people were hoping for. The announcement may well prove to be that Mr Cullen was referring to a player signing in the very near future, however, this is not the case in the present time. I found it odd that Mr Cullen made his announcement of an imminent signing, which he knew would cause interest, if the signing he was referring to was a non playing member of staff. An important addition, obviously, but not the signing supporters were hoping for and to be more precise, more interested in.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

it was just an observation that they were damned if they do and damned if they don't that's all Walter.
I have only seen the Cullen interview in the snooze version, which is probably a truncated to make it sound like they want, so i cant comment on what he actually said, but the bit i picked up was "in the next few days and over the next week". that's why i intimated that people were not happy that a player hadnt been announced within 5 minutes.
If he said the words imminent then i stand corrected, but factually he wasn't wrong was he ;)
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:51 am it was just an observation that they were damned if they do and damned if they don't that's all Walter.
I have only seen the Cullen interview in the snooze version, which is probably a truncated to make it sound like they want, so i cant comment on what he actually said, but the bit i picked up was "in the next few days and over the next week". that's why i intimated that people were not happy that a player hadnt been announced within 5 minutes.
If he said the words imminent then i stand corrected, but factually he wasn't wrong was he ;)
The word "imminent' was how it was broadcast on the radio. The report was short and simple by saying; quote: "Andy Cullen, the Portsmouth Chief Executive, has told BBC Solent Sports that a signing is imminent". He may have been misquoted but that was the report given. Hearing that I think most people would have thought that a player was incoming, which is still quite possibly, but the immentcy recedes with days going by.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I have just gone on to the Radio Solent app and listened to the full interview with Andrew Cullen. In the interview he does NOT use the word "imminent' when talking about signing players. He used the term "in the next few days or week" concerning bringing in players. What I heard was a summary of the interview on the local news who used the phrase "imminent". So therefore I got my facts wrong and I should have checked first before getting on my high horse and making remarks about the subject which, in fairness to me, I normally do before I enter into these discussions. This being the case I owe Porchesterblue2 an apology because the references I used were not accurate and his posts on the subject were much closer to the actual quotes. So Porchesterblue2 please accept my apologies for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:32 pm I have just gone on to the Radio Solent app and listened to the full interview with Andrew Cullen. In the interview he does NOT use the word "imminent' when talking about signing players. He used the term "in the next few days or week" concerning bringing in players. What I heard was a summary of the interview on the local news who used the phrase "imminent". So therefore I got my facts wrong and I should have checked first before getting on my high horse and making remarks about the subject which, in fairness to me, I normally do before I enter into these discussions. This being the case I owe Porchesterblue2 an apology because the references I used were not accurate and his posts on the subject were much closer to the actual quotes. So Porchesterblue2 please accept my apologies for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
no need for an apology young man, like i said i was only going by what the snooze had put, and i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw them, i trust what is said on here over them lol.
my initial comment was somewhat tongue in cheek so please do not think i was having a pop as i definitely wasn't, so if that's the case i apologise for causing consternation
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:48 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:32 pm I have just gone on to the Radio Solent app and listened to the full interview with Andrew Cullen. In the interview he does NOT use the word "imminent' when talking about signing players. He used the term "in the next few days or week" concerning bringing in players. What I heard was a summary of the interview on the local news who used the phrase "imminent". So therefore I got my facts wrong and I should have checked first before getting on my high horse and making remarks about the subject which, in fairness to me, I normally do before I enter into these discussions. This being the case I owe Porchesterblue2 an apology because the references I used were not accurate and his posts on the subject were much closer to the actual quotes. So Porchesterblue2 please accept my apologies for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
no need for an apology young man, like i said i was only going by what the snooze had put, and i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw them, i trust what is said on here over them lol.
my initial comment was somewhat tongue in cheek so please do not think i was having a pop as i definitely wasn't, so if that's the case i apologise for causing consternation

Firstly no one has called me a young man for a long time so that's refreshing. I made the mistake of trusting the Solent news report where they summarised the interview by using the term "imminent" which I was basing my veiws on.

However, that interview did bring up something that we disagree on concerning Pompey. As you probably know I am of the opinion that talk of promotion next season is ticket selling bluff from the club. Listening to that interview strengthens my veiw on that subject.