Anyone else changed their view?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Anyone else changed their view?

Post by Mr Dee »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:38 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:15 pm Pleasantly surprised, so far.
Did I really say that only three weeks ago? :roll:
Those pesky manager of the month awards
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 31 times

Post by StMonkton »

Two months makes quite a difference.

Should I change my mind again?

Genuine question to those who see the games. Are we showing signs of doing better or are the scores in line with performance?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Been to all our home matches for last 2 seasons and Ipswich away this year my view hasn’t changed at all since they were appointed. I’ve tried to accept the 3 window excuse but frankly it’s time for a change before the January window opens
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

My veiw hasn't changed at all. I never thought the club was serious about promotion this season and, quite possibly, next season either. I thought a Play Off place was a possibility and I still think that. We didn't see two promotion quality teams today either and I would be surprised if Wycombe featured much in the promotion stakes, and they apparently a bigger budget than us.

The Portsmouth players and management probably want promotion this season if it was possible but I think the owners want to wait a while longer. I think their aim is to get the club up to Championship level, or close, before we get there. When the club stops offering itself to being a good nursery for other clubs and stops depending on loan players to improve the team then we might be able to consider ourselves as automatic promotion contender. When the club produces a budget to shop above the bargain basement then we might be able to compete with the best in this league. People may point to the half a million spent on Bishop but they got more in selling one of our best players. When we have a manager who stops talking waffle and gets players playing in the way it best suits the playing personnel we will see improvement. I think we done quite well with recruitment this summer with the resources available but we didn't really get players who have got that little extra where it counts all over the pitch.

My veiw is exactly as it was in the summer.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I was just reading through these posts and it just goes to show how capricious, fickle to you and me, supporters of football clubs are. Although my veiw was fairly consistent over the last year or so I had started to think I had got it wrong. In fact at different stages during this and last season I thought that Cowley was starting to deliver on his promises. No doubt the next manager of this great club will suffer the consequences of supporter capricicusness.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 31 times

Post by StMonkton »

Not sure capricious is fair. I think a few posters like me were prepared to admit their view in August might have been wrong.
That felt like a grown up judgment based on results.

Since this thread started, results have lead to a reappraisal.

My original post said I wouldn’t call for change at the start of December. We are now in January and our situation hasn’t improved. I believe change was due.

Let’s hope for a speedy, successful appointment.

New management needs time and a bit of leeway.

I would hope to see signs of progress this time next year and won’t rush to judgment before then.

PUP