World Cup - watch it or snub it?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: World Cup - watch it or snub it?

Post by Mr Dee »

Already watch enough sideways passing at Pompey games
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:23 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:11 pm Wouldn't it be great if the England team were to line up and then, just as the Iranian anthem starts up, walk off the pitch and refuse to play.

Never been so uninterested in a World Cup.
Iranians have been staying silent at their own National Anthem, and the top league clubs have refused to celebrate goals as a form of protest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63588927

Whether that transfers to the World Cup remains to be seen.
I hope so. That regime belongs in the middle ages. I support the Iranian players who show strength against it.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:07 pm Did we protest when the World Cup was held in Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Chile or Argentina. You could make a case against all of these regimes for some reason or another. As for the "Land of the Free" (provided you are not Native American, Hispanic or African American), we turn a blind eye to them!

Just concentrate on the football and leave politics out of it!
+1

I do understand the points made about the corruption, that plus Qatar's record on human rights.
But its the WC, nothing anyone will do now will stop it. I intend to watch it & enjoy it. In a generally joyless year I just think we owe it to ourselves to get some enjoyment when it rears its head.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

pompeygunner wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:40 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:07 pm Did we protest when the World Cup was held in Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Chile or Argentina. You could make a case against all of these regimes for some reason or another. As for the "Land of the Free" (provided you are not Native American, Hispanic or African American), we turn a blind eye to them!

+1

I do understand the points made about the corruption, that plus Qatar's record on human rights.
But its the WC, nothing anyone will do now will stop it. I intend to watch it & enjoy it. In a generally joyless year I just think we owe it to ourselves to get some enjoyment when it rears its head.
In that case you don't understand the points made at all. A dark ages country. It should'nt have ever been held there.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

NSRailings wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:55 pm

+1

In that case you don't understand the points made at all. A dark ages country. It should'nt have ever been held there.
Yes I do understand all the points raised actually, stop trying to double guess my response & re read my post.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

pompeygunner wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:48 am
NSRailings wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:55 pm

+1

Yes I do understand all the points raised actually, stop trying to double guess my response & re read my post.
:thumb
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Latest is that they will ban sales of alcohol at stadia really annoying Budweiser it seems
Thus plus the apparent blocking of some media shoots would appear to me to be premeditated as once all the teams have arrived it’s to late to move it
I would be very wary if I was going as if they are now moving the goalposts to such a degree their promises regarding acceptable fan behavior are worth nothing guess the Foreign Office could be busy
Anyway if I’ve nothing better to due might watch England games but not going to make any real effort
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:10 am Latest is that they will ban sales of alcohol at stadia really annoying Budweiser it seems
Thus plus the apparent blocking of some media shoots would appear to me to be premeditated as once all the teams have arrived it’s to late to move it
I would be very wary if I was going as if they are now moving the goalposts to such a degree their promises regarding acceptable fan behavior are worth nothing guess the Foreign Office could be busy
Anyway if I’ve nothing better to due might watch England games but not going to make any real effort
I agree - does sound a bit premeditated. Or - they're watching what's happening in Iran and getting worried. The World Cup is effectively lifting social and civil restrictions for the next few weeks (at least under the watchful eye of the global media), before the boot comes crashing down again. Are the people going to accept that after a brief taste of 'freedom', for want of a better word?

The Danish media shoot I felt was a bit 50/50 - as it was on private land, ie a shopping centre. Even in the US or UK, you can't openly shoot in those circumstances without prior consent. Public land, different matter.

Of course, the beer ban might be a result of the Qatari officials tasting Budweiser for the first time, just to see what the fuss is all about. And now they’re actually doing everyone a favour…
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Actually, have you got it wrong?
As I understand it, it’s FIFA that have created the ban (within certain stadiums/areas) albeit they have capitulated to the Qatari royal family who ‘requested’ the ban. I do however, believe that would have been a premeditated action by the Qataris and yet another reason why, even at this late stage, FIFA should cancel/abandon this World Cup.😎
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

This is about the football, driven by money and greed, so logical thinking goes out the window. There are many nations around the world where unhealthy things and practices go on, but the world highlights the World Cup right now. Will the next host be looked at in the same manner? Look at what goes on in the Uk, are we perfect?? The football will win and no one is going to stop it, so you may as well watch and try to enjoy it, even after England crash out!
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

By watching it, we are endorsing corruption.
It doesn't make it all right but I hope that this Mafia state get crushed by the Netherlands and humiliated on the pitch but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they try to pay off the ref and maybe some of the Dutch players in advance to mitigate the result. As long as their buddy Infantino gets his cut, FIFA are not going to do anything.