Derby

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Derby

Post by PeteM »

A bit of a quick back from the game, with a few thoughts (it's one of the few games I've been able to make in person so far this season - as I appreciate the ones that others do, especially from away games, thought I'd try to give something back).

Overall it was a fair result, two pretty decent sides who I think will at least be challenging for play-offs at the end of the season. Dale was the man most likely to make something happen in the first half, probably Curtis in the second half after he came on. Although Koroma was lively in the first ten minutes, he completely drifted out of the game after that and Curtis gave us a real spark - think he should definitely start the next game (I would have started him tonight to be honest). Might be time to also give Pigott a start (maybe give Scarlett a rest and the chance to impact the game from the bench).

Between the two boxes the game was good but neither side quite had that incision in the final third to open the other up. Both sides did defend well though which was part of the reason for that. Our shape without the ball was decent and we're clearly well drilled. I actually thought we had reasonable balance to the side for most of the game but we were a bit formulaic in the final third and didn't have that bit of magic from anywhere to open them up. Having said that, against plenty of worse opposition how we played tonight would have been enough to win the game.

Mingi drives forward with the ball and has a lot of energy but we do still miss having Lowery, Thompson or Morrell alongside Pack (they all bring something slightly different). We aren't too far away from being a good side again, a little creativity and a bit of link play in the final third and we'd have nicked the game tonight. Hopefully a couple of the injuries (especially in central midfield) returning will help with that.

A bit frustrated but probably more positive than I'd have said I'd be feeling if I'd known it was going to finish 0-0.

Atmosphere was great tonight too.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

PeteM wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:13 pm A bit of a quick back from the game, with a few thoughts (it's one of the few games I've been able to make in person so far this season - as I appreciate the ones that others do, especially from away games, thought I'd try to give something back).

Overall it was a fair result, two pretty decent sides who I think will at least be challenging for play-offs at the end of the season. Dale was the man most likely to make something happen in the first half, probably Curtis in the second half after he came on. Although Koroma was lively in the first ten minutes, he completely drifted out of the game after that and Curtis gave us a real spark - think he should definitely start the next game (I would have started him tonight to be honest). Might be time to also give Pigott a start (maybe give Scarlett a rest and the chance to impact the game from the bench).

Between the two boxes the game was good but neither side quite had that incision in the final third to open the other up. Both sides did defend well though which was part of the reason for that. Our shape without the ball was decent and we're clearly well drilled. I actually thought we had reasonable balance to the side for most of the game but we were a bit formulaic in the final third and didn't have that bit of magic from anywhere to open them up. Having said that, against plenty of worse opposition how we played tonight would have been enough to win the game.

Mingi drives forward with the ball and has a lot of energy but we do still miss having Lowery, Thompson or Morrell alongside Pack (they all bring something slightly different). We aren't too far away from being a good side again, a little creativity and a bit of link play in the final third and we'd have nicked the game tonight. Hopefully a couple of the injuries (especially in central midfield) returning will help with that.

A bit frustrated but probably more positive than I'd have said I'd be feeling if I'd known it was going to finish 0-0.

Atmosphere was great tonight too.
:thumb :thumb
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'd almost be tempted to bring Curtis in on the left, Scarlett to the bench and try Koroma through the middle with Bishop.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

That’s exactly what I would have done 84+1

Scarlett looks like he needs a break to me and Curtis offers the team more than Koroma on the left side.

Try Koroma through the middle and see if he improves…if not send him back in Jan.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 32 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Thanks for a good overview of the game I watched it on tv and I agree we are short of creativity up front we really should have put Derby away they too had key men missing and had played midweek. So they will be more delighted than us with the point however I think there were more signs last night of ambition and intensity I think we are just two or three players missing up front who can open teams up. Really thought Koroman would do that but he seems to have a lack of confidence. Huddersfield supporters want him back hoping it will restore his confidence and he will rescue them from relegation. Good luck with that idea as I would say he has lost the plot.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think we miss creative spark in the middle of the park we don't really have anyone bursting through the lines through the middle, Mingi did it once and got a tame shot away.

Perhaps we are missing Harness.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:39 pm I think we miss creative spark in the middle of the park we don't really have anyone bursting through the lines through the middle, Mingi did it once and got a tame shot away.

Perhaps we are missing Harness.
The suggestion to play Koroman as an attacking midfielder may be a good option as you say we are missing Harness in an ideal world we would have him and Colby
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I can't fathom why Cowley plays the same attack pretty much game after game when we aren't scoring more than one in league games. Can't he see what's happening on the pitch? Couldn't believe the line up yesterday again!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

20 points from our first eight league matches this season.
9 points from the last nine.
Whatever the cause, a fix is needed pdq!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:33 pm 20 points from our first eight league matches this season.
The rot started against Plymouth which was when we first lost Lowery to injury having already lost Thomson a couple of games earlier we haven’t anyone else who adequately covers that position
Then it was compounded by also losing Pack and Morrell
I would suggest that when they are mostly available then things could improve
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:21 pm I can't fathom why Cowley plays the same attack pretty much game after game when we aren't scoring more than one in league games. Can't he see what's happening on the pitch? Couldn't believe the line up yesterday again!
I can only remember 2 shots by us yesterday
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:50 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:33 pm 20 points from our first eight league matches this season.
The rot started against Plymouth which was when we first lost Lowery to injury having already lost Thomson a couple of games earlier we haven’t anyone else who adequately covers that position
Then it was compounded by also losing Pack and Morrell
I would suggest that when they are mostly available then things could improve
Yep, Selsey Bill pinpointed Lowery as the reason too. I get that a quality player, particularly at this level, can make a side tick or enable a side to play in a particular way. But surely it's up to the manager to adapt formations or systems to suit the players available, and to get the best from them.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

[/quote]
But surely it's up to the manager to adapt formations or systems to suit the players available, and to get the best from them.
[/quote]

I guess that is a totally different topic getting into the competence of the manager and his ability to adapt tactics to suit the players available.
My view on that subject is unambiguous ever since his appointment which I have been clear on with my past posts, so best I just leave it at that so as not to stir it up
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

The fact that he's picked the same formation and roughly the same forward line in the last 10 matches or so with ****** poor results says enough for me. Too stubborn and unwilling to drop players who aren't performing. He has until Christmas for me. But I'd be sounding out Richardson right now.
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:50 pm The rot started against Plymouth which was when we first lost Lowery to injury having already lost Thomson a couple of games earlier we haven’t anyone else who adequately covers that position
Yes, the difference between the two halves in that game was massive. First half was our then usual build up of pressure - Plymouth never looked like getting into it. The 2nd half was totally different. Very little attacking bite at all. Hopefully we can get some more effective cover in January. I'm not keen on cup games at the moment but am glad our next couple of games are in cups. Injured players can start to rebuild their fitness hopefully.
Super Matt Macey in goal...