World Cup so far

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: World Cup so far

Post by pompeygunner »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:58 am
pompeygunner wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:13 am
NSRailings wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:08 am The amount of support on here for this ******-take world cup shows how stupid some people are.
Two words.
Get stuffed :thumb
Should have saved that for when it's in Turkey!
Very apt. :D
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Have y'all noticed that when you properly add minutes for time wasting / subs / injuries etc its easily more than twice the added time you see in the prem. We're getting around 4- 5 minutes added in 1st halves and 8-10 + after the 90th.
Div III. Call it what it is.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Correct. Should have a time out clock like they do in US of A (I think 🤔)
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

RE US v England.....haven't seen so much back passing since the last ruggers match.
Div III. Call it what it is.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Correct again Cinci...poorest England performance for a long time. Reckon they set out for 0-0. Boring!!!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Stones to Maguire, to Stones, to Maguire, to Stones, to Maguire, to Shaw, to Maguire, to Stones, to Pickford, to Maguire, to Stones, to Maguire, to Shaw, to Pickford and hoof. What utter, utter tripe.

The officials were so bored they only added 1 minute to the 1st half and 4 to the 2nd. Thank heavens for small mercies.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Such a contrast to how we played at the Euros. Not sure what’s going on but seems like same old England again. Maybe the weight of expectation weighing them down. They just don’t seem to be playing with any freedom. Here’s hoping it’s just a blip.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:32 am Such a contrast to how we played at the Euros. Not sure what’s going on but seems like same old England again. Maybe the weight of expectation weighing them down. They just don’t seem to be playing with any freedom. Here’s hoping it’s just a blip.
It was very similar to how we played against Scotland at the Euros, from memory! Was actually quite a good result in terms of the group, but not a good performance.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Group games are aways a bit weird - I remember in Euro 96 that our first game against Switzerland was terrible, in 90 the games against Rep of Ire and Egypt weren't great. It always happens - just get out of the group and then the tournament starts.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Cheers guys. Feeling sightly less deflated after reading that ☺️
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

should be a fun game this evening, hopefully we will stuff the whining welsh, apologies to any of the welsh persuasion on the board.

news crew at wrexham on the tv the other day, and they were bleating about William, not being a true prince of wales and not supporting wales against england . they were all true and proud welsh men standing up against the injustice of the english prince of wales.
Maybe they should ask their american owners to withdraw them from the English football league then :thumb
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:05 am should be a fun game this evening, hopefully we will stuff the whining welsh, apologies to any of the welsh persuasion on the board.

news crew at wrexham on the tv the other day, and they were bleating about William, not being a true prince of wales and not supporting wales against england . they were all true and proud welsh men standing up against the injustice of the english prince of wales.
Maybe they should ask their american owners to withdraw them from the English football league then :thumb
Excellent point!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:05 am should be a fun game this evening, hopefully we will stuff the whining welsh, apologies to any of the welsh persuasion on the board.

Personally I think the Welsh have a point concerning Prince William. He is, after all, Prince of Wales and therefore, by definition, a Welsh figurehead. He visited the English camp before they departed for the World Cup but not the Welsh one. That shows a clear message where his loyalties lie, although I seem to remember at an England v Wales Six Nations rugby match that he and his brother Harry attended he wore Welsh colours while Harry wore England colours. Perhaps he had his fingers crossed but I don't have any such allegiance problems and I hope England turn on an irresistible performance.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

What I find intriguing about international football, and team games in general, is how teams can bridge the skill and class gap. We see it in the FA Cup, for instance, where teams from lower leagues win games that they are not supposed to. If you look at our World Cup group and were to pick a team our of the four nations I would think you would end up with predominantly an English team. It's obvious that national pride and raw passion play a big part but does that point to our team, and English nation, lacking those vital ingredients? I think, to a certain extent, there is a decline in English identity and, perhaps pride, because we have become such a culturally diverse nation, but that could be said of many nations. Germany and particularly France are in a similar situation so I don't really know if this does play a part. For many English people being English is the same as being British whereas in Scotland and Wales there is a clear definition of their nationhood. Northern Ireland is quite different, of course, where Unionist are firmly British while Nationalist are firmly Irish.

Anyway I am a proud Englishman and proud to be British but I hope that tonight I will be bursting with English pride.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:32 am What I find intriguing about international football, and team games in general, is how teams can bridge the skill and class gap. We see it in the FA Cup, for instance, where teams from lower leagues win games that they are not supposed to. If you look at our World Cup group and were to pick a team our of the four nations I would think you would end up with predominantly an English team. It's obvious that national pride and raw passion play a big part but does that point to our team, and English nation, lacking those vital ingredients? I think, to a certain extent, there is a decline in English identity and, perhaps pride, because we have become such a culturally diverse nation, but that could be said of many nations. Germany and particularly France are in a similar situation so I don't really know if this does play a part. For many English people being English is the same as being British whereas in Scotland and Wales there is a clear definition of their nationhood. Northern Ireland is quite different, of course, where Unionist are firmly British while Nationalist are firmly Irish.

Anyway I am a proud Englishman and proud to be British but I hope that tonight I will be bursting with English pride.
there is the famous quotes that scots would support anyone playing the english

I am half scottish and the english half always wins out when english play scotland at anything