World Cup so far

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: World Cup so far

Post by Sam_Brown »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:34 am
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:32 am What I find intriguing about international football, and team games in general, is how teams can bridge the skill and class gap. We see it in the FA Cup, for instance, where teams from lower leagues win games that they are not supposed to. If you look at our World Cup group and were to pick a team our of the four nations I would think you would end up with predominantly an English team. It's obvious that national pride and raw passion play a big part but does that point to our team, and English nation, lacking those vital ingredients? I think, to a certain extent, there is a decline in English identity and, perhaps pride, because we have become such a culturally diverse nation, but that could be said of many nations. Germany and particularly France are in a similar situation so I don't really know if this does play a part. For many English people being English is the same as being British whereas in Scotland and Wales there is a clear definition of their nationhood. Northern Ireland is quite different, of course, where Unionist are firmly British while Nationalist are firmly Irish.

Anyway I am a proud Englishman and proud to be British but I hope that tonight I will be bursting with English pride.
there is the famous quotes that scots would support anyone playing the english

I am half scottish and the english half always wins out when english play scotland at anything
Well you wouldn't want to be on a losing side would you 💩💩💩💩💩💩 :rofl
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:34 am
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:32 am What I find intriguing about international football, and team games in general, is how teams can bridge the skill and class gap. We see it in the FA Cup, for instance, where teams from lower leagues win games that they are not supposed to. If you look at our World Cup group and were to pick a team our of the four nations I would think you would end up with predominantly an English team. It's obvious that national pride and raw passion play a big part but does that point to our team, and English nation, lacking those vital ingredients? I think, to a certain extent, there is a decline in English identity and, perhaps pride, because we have become such a culturally diverse nation, but that could be said of many nations. Germany and particularly France are in a similar situation so I don't really know if this does play a part. For many English people being English is the same as being British whereas in Scotland and Wales there is a clear definition of their nationhood. Northern Ireland is quite different, of course, where Unionist are firmly British while Nationalist are firmly Irish.

Anyway I am a proud Englishman and proud to be British but I hope that tonight I will be bursting with English pride.
there is the famous quotes that scots would support anyone playing the english

I am half scottish and the english half always wins out when english play scotland at anything
Funny that, I am half Sottish (my Father was born in Greenock but came down to Hampshire when he was 5 years old and lived here until he died when he was 90) My Mothers Family were solidly from Hampshire. I always supported England (my younger Brother Scotland) but if Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland were playing anyone other than England I would support them. I do not understand the culture of the other Home Nations wanting to support whoever was playing England
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 30 times

Post by StMonkton »

I too have mixed Anglo Scots parentage but was born and have mainly lived in England.

I was always encouraged to see myself as British and have been happy to do so.

I have always supported England at sport.

As to the ‘chippiness ‘ of the smaller nations, I think it is hard to appreciate just how arrogant many English people are. I don’t support anti-Englishness but I see where some of it arises. History and differences in population size play a part too.

I am not a particular fan of the Royal family but we need to remember that William is President of the FA, so he probably ought to be supporting the England football team.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

StMonkton wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:06 pm I too have mixed Anglo Scots parentage but was born and have mainly lived in England.

I was always encouraged to see myself as British and have been happy to do so.

I have always supported England at sport.

As to the ‘chippiness ‘ of the smaller nations, I think it is hard to appreciate just how arrogant many English people are. I don’t support anti-Englishness but I see where some of it arises. History and differences in population size play a part too.

I am not a particular fan of the Royal family but we need to remember that William is President of the FA, so he probably ought to be supporting the England football team.
dont get me wrong, i get that the prince of wales isnt supporting wales, but their argument kind of falls over, the 4 clubs actively left the welsh football league to join the english league as it was deemed to be a better option. if you are so proudly welsh, play n the welsh league
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Happy to see Wales and N. Ireland do well but not at England's expense. Scotland is another story. One of my favorite WC moments was , I think, the last time the jocks qualified. It was in maybe south or Central America and they took a huge army of fans. Start out singing..."We're on the march with Ali's Army...." By game 3 against Holland (I think) its..."We want our money back, we want our money back"
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Looks like auf wiedersen Jeermans :lol:
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:28 pm Looks like auf wiedersen Jeermans :lol:
Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Looks wide open. France / Spain / Argies / Portugal / Brazil / Netherlands and dare I say England ....pick one.
Not to disrespect the rest either...who would have picked Japan to win that group and Morrocco to top theirs?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:23 pm Looks wide open. France / Spain / Argies / Portugal / Brazil / Netherlands and dare I say England ....pick one.
Not to disrespect the rest either...who would have picked Japan to win that group and Morrocco to top theirs?
It is a very interesting set of results, the Germans & Belgiums out already. England blowing hot, cold & hot again
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Leaving aside the background it’s been a great watch so far. Not a competition to put bets on!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

New Forester wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:51 am Leaving aside the background it’s been a great watch so far. Not a competition to put bets on!

You are right about that, last night Spain v Japan was the best game so far for entertainment. The Japanese fought like tigers and played with such skill and pace it could only be admired. The game had everything for the committed and neutral spectator. Not without controversy either, how did the Japanese winning goal be allowed to stand? I would hazard a guess "the curvature of the ball" would not have been a feature had it been on the byline for a throw in. Nevertheless you can't begrudge the Japanese their win and you would have to say they have a tidy team.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:23 pm Looks wide open. France / Spain / Argies / Portugal / Brazil / Netherlands and dare I say England ....pick one.
You are right it is wide open. I think the French look awesome at times and vulnerable at other times. Argentina certainly have the players as do Brazil but also look beatable as well as possible winners of the tournament. I think Holland haven't really shown that much yet to suggest that they can be the Holland of old. I wonder whether Japan and Morocco have reached their pinnacle by getting to the knock out stage but they have shown that they will take some beating and can't be dismissed. Any team that makes it through to the knock out stage is going to be good and on their day could win it. As for England I just hope that Mr Southgate will take the shackles off and show the world our attacking talent we have. For once England's strength is not in defence and we really are in our golden age of young attacking talent. I just wish he would encourage our forwards to take chances to take players on instead of the endless passing back to our central defenders. Now it is the knock out stage teams have got to play to win so maybe we may see an English cavalry charge.
gosling
Martin Kuhl
Has liked: 4 times

Post by gosling »

And now Cameroon beat Brazil. This is a very unpredictable World Cup.
A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

England have never failed to win a World Cup where the last two numbers of the year are the same. #66 #22.

It's coming home.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Netherlands put on a good show this afternoon beating a very good, and young, USA team that will undoubtedly be a force to be reckoned with in 2026 Finals.