World Cup so far

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: World Cup so far

Post by Mr Dee »

"You're not dancing anymore........."
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Germany, Spain now Brazil and hopefully France tomorrow. Looking promising
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

wow...high drama from the orange!
Finish 'em off in ET please.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Just loved the way the Dutch went long ball after going 2-0 down. The game is being ruined somewhat with all the stopping for free kick, some of the fouls rather manufactured. What I can't understand is why the Dutch have gone back to their ineffectual way they were playing. They bought players on to play a different way and then gone back to what they were doing, perhaps they fancy penalties.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

What I have learnt during this World Cup is an anatomical lesson. Did you know, because I certainly didn't, that a light brush on your shoulder or arm causes injury to your face?
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

What a shitshow. Might as well give the whistle to Messi. And the official on the goal line for penalties, didn't spot the Argie cheat 2 yards off his line! Haven't watched much world cup cos I expected it to be a bent tippy tappy borefest. I wasn't wrong.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

You don`t expect the Argentines to play by the rules
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

No but I do expect the official who only has one job to at least pretend he's trying to do it.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by New Forester »

Can someone explain why so many tackles that used to be fouls are now OK?

After posting I came across this:

THOM GIBBS SENIOR SPORTS WRITER 23 August 2021 • 12:05pm
Two weeks into the season we are witnessing the welcome return of physicality to the Premier League - enjoy the meaty tackles while you can
A remarkable thing has happened in the Premier League, football has gone backwards. The march of dubious progress previously seemed inexorable, all playing it out from the back, strikerless formations and the unacceptable rise of performance base layers instead of long-sleeved shirts.
But two weeks into the season we are witnessing the welcome return of physicality to the top flight. After a European Championship of wonderfully permissive officiating the PGMOL has suggested more leniency across the leagues this season. So far that means firmer tackles, fewer whistles and no one being quite sure what counts as a foul any more.
Scything down attacking players is hardly an exclusively English phenomenon. One Italy fan was so taken by Giorgio Chiellini’s collar tug on Bukayo Saka in the Euros final he had it tattooed on his arm.
But the challenges being allowed during the Premier League’s opening weeks stimulate our country’s footballing pleasure receptors. Fancy-pants midfielders being clattered from behind by burly defenders is not sophisticated but inevitably leads to roars of approval. The “cunning” (it’s a nice word for cheating) supposedly prized in some other countries still won’t fly. We want brute force.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is yet to adapt to the tackle-happy new reality. He said there was a “clear foul” on Bruno Fernandes in the build-up to Southampton’s opening goal against Manchester United on Sunday.

I’m confused now at what is or is not considered a foul.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Another one bites the dust Portugal out!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

So disappointing, it was always that the winner of tonights match will win the World Cup (and it should have been us)
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Look on the bright side, at least there's no chance of us losing to Argentina in the final now :roll:
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

As disappointing as it was to go out of the World Cup last night there is a difference this time to other exits. We were unfortunate and didn't get what we deserved against France, and the French will be mightily relieved to go through. There is no doubt that the missed penalty was the major game changing moment. Had that gone in I really think we could have gone on to win the game. Although France were missing a number of their best players they are a fabulous team with wonderful players. It is to England's credit that they were the better team overall in last night's game. At least we leave this tournament having left nothing on the pitch and had we had a little more good fortune, and a decent referee, we could have won. This current English squad is probably the best, collectively, that I can remember and I think we could well be on the cusp of good things. Of course we still have our grumbles about the team and management. My grumble is that I wish that a team that is full of young attacking talent isn't more attack minded and encouraged to take more risks. I thought they showed that last night to a much greater degree and looked the real deal. Football has much more disappointments for most fans than highlights but I am sure no team will want to face England.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:09 pm So disappointing, it was always that the winner of tonights match will win the World Cup (and it should have been us)
The French team were extraordinarily lucky. They gave away two definite penalties and, almost certainly, another should have been given in the first half. Teams playing with such aggression and disregard do not win from skill but from good fortune.

With stronger refeering, we would have won the game.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

What rubbish. The French took their chances, England didn't. That tells you who were the better side.
It's all a bit moot anyway because:-
a. This is a phoney "World Cup" so results count for nothing in an honest world.
b. England do this EVERY time.

So...all a bit...meh