Well, it looks like the general global climate means a few of us are heading for the Spanish Fiddler.
If that includes you, add yourself to the list here.
If you are looking to employ, add something here too.
Any other useful help / hints for those affected, add that too.

Moderators: lakespfc, Chris_in_LA, Admin, General Mods

By pompey1985
Do you have experience of catastrophe/ environmental risk analysis, GIS modeling and development?

Senior GIS Consultant (Catastrophe/ Environmental Risk) - S.E.

The position will involve:

Ad hoc spatial / catastrophe risk analysis for the company’s clients
Development of proprietary catastrophe and spatial analysis models.
Devise pragmatic implementation of leading-edge research in catastrophe modeling

Experience Required:
Degree educated in a quantitative discipline (Mathematics, Science or
Computer Science and/or in GIS) – essential
Knowledge and experience of ESRI suit tools - essential
Experience of spatial databases
Experience in software engineering (e.g. design, testing) – advantageous.
Experience of OOD e.g. Java, C++ and/ or C# - advantageous
The candidate must demonstrate a keen interest in spatial modeling

Based - in the South East

Salary - £45-65k depending on experience
By ddavis
Not got a degree, ah well... (HND instead, skipped college because it was rather boring). Never looked back, I consider the HND to be a waste of 2 years too (although I did make a fortune working at novatech in the shop instead of going to uni).

I do have 7 years C# experience and am MCTS and MCAD qualified in it and SQL Server though (2000, 2005, 2008) ;)

Amazing really, most people I interview have degrees and cock all knowledge of any of the stuff they claim to be masters of.

I'm sure there are some very good lecturers out there but all of the ones I met at university (and my short time at college) were just people who had failed in their chosen profession.... Why would somebody teach C# for 30k when they can earn double that (or quadruple in london) if they really are that good at it?
By Sunday Girl
ddavis wrote:
I'm sure there are some very good lecturers out there but all of the ones I met at university (and my short time at college) were just people who had failed in their chosen profession.... Why would somebody teach C# for 30k when they can earn double that (or quadruple in london) if they really are that good at it?
Because they enjoy teaching? Or they're not led by money? They don't want to work in London? They have families and want relative job security?
Lots of people just want a stable job and pressure free life and there is nothing wrong with that.
By GreenFox
Sunday Girl wrote:
ddavis wrote:
Because they enjoy teaching? Or they're not led by money? They don't want to work in London? They have families and want relative job security?
Lots of people just want a stable job and pressure free life and there is nothing wrong with that.
So lack of ambition then? :wink:

Those that can.. do.. those that cant.. teach..

those that cant teach.. teach PE..
By RubiconCSL
GreenFox wrote:So lack of ambition then? :wink:

Those that can.. do.. those that cant.. teach..

those that cant teach.. teach PE..
What do I do if I can't teach P.E.?
The Word Association Thread, ill start

Tax

Oxford Game

Louis Dennis?

Hamilton the greatest driver ever?

...I do have a problem with Hamilton's selected […]

Fans back at Fratton Park?

Incidentally the next home match is 5 December […]