Re-training

Well, it looks like the general global climate means a few of us are heading for the Spanish Fiddler.
If that includes you, add yourself to the list here.
If you are looking to employ, add something here too.
Any other useful help / hints for those affected, add that too.

Moderators: Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re-training

Post by RubiconCSL »

Just an idea chaps (and chapesses). I've been harping on for years before the credit crunch appeared that we have a real shortage of British quality tradesmen (and women) around. I'm talking about Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters etc. Would any of you be too long in the tooth to consider re-training along those lines and then starting up your own business? No matter how difficult the credit crunch turns out to be, if a pipe bursts, you'll be needed. Most people are also too scared of electrics to do anything themselves.

I'm most certainly not racist, but when it gets tough, I'd rather be employing a British tradesman than a foreigner. BUT, one I can trust and who doesn't overcharge.

Just an idea. If you can negotiate re-training into your redundancy, then you'd be better off learning a trade than sitting at home.

I'm an I.T. contractor, I've got work until the end of April at the moment. After that, apart from trying to push the web development thing, I'll be thumb twiddling. If it gets to that stage, I'm off to get some sort of certification as an electrician. Still my own boss then, I know there are very few decent sparkies around my area and you can earn a decent wad too.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Da_Bish
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Re-training

Post by Da_Bish »

Sounds like a good idea Rubi. My Mrs has been harping on about other wife's husbands who have found work and I am still unemployed.

Like you I would prefer an electricians job, having had basic training in the RAF, though mostly with how to fix radar and radio as at the time I was on a mobile squadron.
NIL DESPERANDUM CARBURUNDUM ILLEGITAMI
Bernster
Gary O'Neil

Post by Bernster »

Hi,

a very possible path to follow, I remember seeing some data around 2 years ago that supported this kind of shift in employment although from experience I still struggle to see how people put up with the very cheap but poor service from places like India in IT.

Also from recent, and hard earned experience I can vouch for the extremely poor but expensive service there is out there form so called professional builders, plumbers and electricians. Too many stories to tell but basically it should not be hard to build a good reputation amongst some of these shiisters that operate. In the last 18 months I have tried 3 electricians, 2 carpenters, 3 builders, 3 plumbers and 2 plasterers. Of these I would not recommend more than 2 of them all told.

I have 20 years in IT and would probably retrain as a tradesman if (or maybe when) I get the Spanish archer.
"Trust in no one, trust in the Trust"
Big Blue Bear
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Big Blue Bear »

Great idea but be aware you will need to put time and money in to get qualified. It's not that straight forward (especially for sparkies). Also plumbers need to be corgi registered these days (all requires long courses and cash).
Bernster
Gary O'Neil

Post by Bernster »

Big Blue Bear wrote:Great idea but be aware you will need to put time and money in to get qualified. It's not that straight forward (especially for sparkies). Also plumbers need to be corgi registered these days (all requires long courses and cash).
I know a few people that have pursued, Electrician is possibly hardest and as well as certs you need proven time on the job, you need very little for plumbing and attain this at night school. To touch gas you need to be Corgi registered and so again that is not trivial.

As with any retraining you need to invest time, money and effort so it is not just a case of putting down your laptop and picking up a tool bag ;-)
"Trust in no one, trust in the Trust"
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Big Blue Bear wrote:Great idea but be aware you will need to put time and money in to get qualified. It's not that straight forward (especially for sparkies). Also plumbers need to be corgi registered these days (all requires long courses and cash).
I thought Corgi registration was only to install gas appliances i.e. boilers. Just radiators, piping, washing machines, toilets etc., I'm not convinced you actually need any certification. I know a plumber in S'ton, so maybe I'll ask him.

From the quality of plumbers we have used in recent years, I don't think many are far ahead of me anyway!

With a little business acumen, you may even be able to employ another plumber in time and extend your income that way?

I'm not saying it's preferable to a warm (winter) or cool (summer) office, with drinks machines etc. BUT, it's just an option. One idea maybe to advertise in local papers to see the response. You can simply say you are fully booked for months if anyone rings, but at least you'll know the potential.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.