Calling all golfers....

This one is all for Chaaaarity - Not 'arf mate.
Any fundraising or information on your fave charities goes here. Also, any Board get-togethers like The Christmas Bash.

Moderators: Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Calling all golfers....

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Smile4Rich Golf Day taking place at Cams Hall Golf Club on Friday 17th September (three weeks today).

Ryder Cup-style format with breakfast on arrival, 9 holes of four-balls, lunch and then 18 holes of singles. Paul Walsh captaining the Blues and Franny Benali skippering the Reds.

Plenty of spare places on the Blue team.

Entry £52.50 each.

Prizes, medals, trophies and chances to win a brand new car, golfing holidays and Cobra Irons.

Full details at http://www.smile4rich.co.uk/fundraising/event-detail-14 or PM me your email address for an entry form.

Deadline for entry is next Friday, 3rd September.
travellingpompey
Paul Merson

Re: Calling all golfers....

Post by travellingpompey »

Love to but golf is far too bad unfortunately.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you ever even tried.
Chopper Dave
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Chopper Dave »

Likewise, what standard is required? Only recently taken up the sport so still pretty cack.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Same here, my golf has gone from bad to worse this year.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
mattyg
Gary O'Neil

Post by mattyg »

i could get 2 or 3 myself included from work is do you have to have a proper handicap to enter ( waiting the jokes)
Im knocking em bandy Rodders!!
BaffinsBlue
Kev the Kitman

Post by BaffinsBlue »

I've never played golf in my life, should I sign up for Benali's team?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

If it helps, we have golfers of a huge range of ability take part every year, from single figure handicappers to those that literally play once a year (at the Smile4Rich golf day). The great thing about this format is you're matched against golfers of similar ability. If you and your partner both play off 28 (the max handicap) then you'll me matched against a pairing of similar ability (or lack of it!). This ensures everyone has a chance to win their particular 'match' and contribute to the team score. In two of the last three years there's been a tie (which Matt Le Tissier lost on the sudden-death shoot-out) and a 1 point margin (also to the Blues). In the latter, the final and winning point was won by a 28 handicapper.
Last edited by No Shot Sherlock on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

BaffinsBlue wrote:I've never played golf in my life, should I sign up for Benali's team?
Yes please :wink:
VFTH
Milan Mandaric

Post by VFTH »

mattyg wrote:i could get 2 or 3 myself included from work is do you have to have a proper handicap to enter ( waiting the jokes)
I usually marshal one of the par three holes (prize holes) and will be again this year, if needed.
I can tell you that the standards range from very good amateurs to people losing up to 3 balls on most holes. I am sure you do not have to have an handicap but the most important thing is that you have fun and make money for this fantastic charity.
Smile and those around you smile ..... Laugh and they think you have gone mad

http://www.smile4wessex.org
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

VFTH wrote:
mattyg wrote:i could get 2 or 3 myself included from work is do you have to have a proper handicap to enter ( waiting the jokes)
I usually marshal one of the par three holes (prize holes) and will be again this year, if needed.
I can tell you that the standards range from very good amateurs to people losing up to 3 balls on most holes. I am sure you do not have to have an handicap but the most important thing is that you have fun and make money for this fantastic charity.
Hiya mate. Would be delighted if you were available to assist again this year :D Was planning to email you and the other from this board (Cosham Scouse, Jasper and Where's Wally) early next week to see if you were available.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Just to make it clear. You do not need to have an official handicap to play in this event. So long as you know the basic rules of the game, and are not a complete novice (ie. you've never played the game before), then you should be fine.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
VFTH wrote:
Hiya mate. Would be delighted if you were available to assist again this year :D Was planning to email you and the other from this board (Cosham Scouse, Jasper and Where's Wally) early next week to see if you were available.
No Shot .

No way can I go this year , rosters have been changed and 2 are on leave on that day( so no point in me even asking ) .

Gutted
:(
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Number 1 Jasper wrote: No Shot .

No way can I go this year , rosters have been changed and 2 are on leave on that day( so no point in me even asking ) .

Gutted
Hi Jasper, you did mention that it may be a problem, but thanks for letting me know. Sorry you can't make it as I know you enjoy helping out on the day, even if the Saints team always seems to lose!

Cheers, NSS
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Number 1 Jasper wrote: No Shot .

Gutted
Hi Jasper, you did mention that it may be a problem, but thanks for letting me know. Sorry you can't make it as I know you enjoy helping out on the day, even if the Saints team always seems to lose!

Cheers, NSS
Thanks ( I think ;-) )

For anyone who can play at ANY LEVEL Please GO it is a Fun day !!!!
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
travellingpompey
Paul Merson

Post by travellingpompey »

I'm up for this. If anyone equally novice wants a partner p.m. me.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you ever even tried.