Closing Ceremony

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Closing Ceremony

Post by Earl Grey »

When Eric Idle was singing 'Always Look...' I was waiting for the line, "life's a piece of ******", expecting it to be expunged but he used it.
Wonder if it caught out any censorial TV companies around the World showing it pre-watershed?

'Imagine' was well done - I love the bit about 'no religion too'. Not sure how that would go down in some countries.

Ray Davies - please no!
He looked like a particularly talentless taxidermist had a go at trying to make him look young.

My favourite bit was the medal ceremony for the Marathon. The guy dishing out the flowers to the athletes rather amusingly just grabbed the posies by the flower-end rather than the stalks giving the impression he thought handing out a bunch of flowers was a bit cissy and didn't want to be associated with it. You know the kind of thing - when the wife/gf asks you to hold her handbag while she does something when you're out in public, you grab the thing in a masculine way, definitely not with the strap which you let dangle downwards, the bag at an uncaring 45 degree angle.

Overall the ceremony was a decent effort and the athletes looked to be genuinely enjoying it which was great.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

BaffinsBlue wrote:
Pompski! wrote:Did I imagine it or did I just see a tightrope walker shake a fake man's hand who then caught alight with NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER?
have to say the symbolism was lost on me but why on a tight rope?
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

The Parallel Olympics are going to be awesome and by the end a different kind of pride will spread through the nation. We'll probably finish second in the medals table, but more than that we'll be proud of the chances disabled people get in this country. Disability relations are not perfect - by a long shot - but compared to other countries who hide away people with physical and mental disabilities, we're pretty good.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

... and chips wrote:The Parallel Olympics are going to be awesome and by the end a different kind of pride will spread through the nation. We'll probably finish second in the medals table, but more than that we'll be proud of the chances disabled people get in this country. Disability relations are not perfect - by a long shot - but compared to other countries who hide away people with physical and mental disabilities, we're pretty good.
Autocorrect? Or are we getting multi-dimensional now?
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
... and chips wrote:The Parallel Olympics are going to be awesome and by the end a different kind of pride will spread through the nation. We'll probably finish second in the medals table, but more than that we'll be proud of the chances disabled people get in this country. Disability relations are not perfect - by a long shot - but compared to other countries who hide away people with physical and mental disabilities, we're pretty good.
Autocorrect? Or are we getting multi-dimensional now?
eh?
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Cut and paste job. Must admit I thought it was to do with paralysis.

The name "Paralympics" comes from the Greek prefix "para-" (in this context, "beside" or "alongside") and "Olympics." "Parallel Olympics" approximates the intended meaning. It has nothing to do with "paralysis" or "paraplegia." Its motto was "Mind, Body, Spirit" from 1994 through 2003, and is now "Spirit in Motion."
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Cut and paste job. Must admit I thought it was to do with paralysis.

The name "Paralympics" comes from the Greek prefix "para-" (in this context, "beside" or "alongside") and "Olympics." "Parallel Olympics" approximates the intended meaning. It has nothing to do with "paralysis" or "paraplegia." Its motto was "Mind, Body, Spirit" from 1994 through 2003, and is now "Spirit in Motion."
Every day is a school day.
Guy Whittingham

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Cut and paste job. Must admit I thought it was to do with paralysis.

Well, I'll be goshdarned!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

... and chips wrote:Every day is a school day.
:thumb
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Guy Whittingham

Lost in Kate's Tinsel wrote:
:rofl
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Paralysis derives from the Greek prefix para (beside) and louen (loosen).
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Lost in Kate's Tinsel wrote:
:rofl
Nice to see you confirm that you're oppose to learning new things Glenn...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.