OT - Referendums

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Re: OT - Referendums

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Lost in Kate's Tinsel wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Lost in Kate's Tinsel wrote:I'll offer you a compromise - have you read any Rousseau?
We have to play with the team we have, not the team we want.
I'll take that as a no.

Anyhow, in Rousseau's discussion of the social contract, he is very much of the opinion that humanity needs some kind of ethereal rational guidance. So if you can find an uber-rational alien creature to guide humanity forward into an era of peace and light, you can get rid of the need to have referendums. Can't say fairer than that...
In fairness to our man in Greenwich, dear old Jean Jacques did his disertation on the social contract around 300 years ago, so maybe it's not particularly apposite to the circumstances of today. So would suggest you left Rousseau out of the equation - better to quote some cove a little more relevent to modern times?
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Again:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:We have to play with the team we have, not the team we want.
pomp 'n circumstance wrote:In fairness to our man in Greenwich, dear old Jean Jacques did his disertation on the social contract around 300 years ago, so maybe it's not particularly apposite to the circumstances of today. So would suggest you left Rousseau out of the equation - better to quote some cove a little more relevent to modern times?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Again:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:We have to play with the team we have, not the team we want.
pomp 'n circumstance wrote:In fairness to our man in Greenwich, dear old Jean Jacques did his disertation on the social contract around 300 years ago, so maybe it's not particularly apposite to the circumstances of today. So would suggest you left Rousseau out of the equation - better to quote some cove a little more relevent to modern times?
Yet another devastating retort.

Ouch.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Yet another devastating retort.

Ouch.
The evidence is in this thread - I suggest you re-read what I wrote re Rousseau and perhaps contemplate its meaning... :lol:
Guy Whittingham

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Yet another devastating retort.

Ouch.
The evidence is in this thread - I suggest you re-read what I wrote re Rousseau and perhaps contemplate its meaning... :lol:
I'm just too stupid to begin to comprehend it, so please could you re-phrase?
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

But should you worry what Rousseau said of value his opinion? The blighter was Swiss - from Geneva shouldn't be used as an example of EU philosophy......the Swiss aren't in the EU and in their referendum they voted against membership, but only trade ties. Never trust the Swiss - they live in cantons and muck around with cuckoo clocks. Fearful little oiks......
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:But should you worry what Rousseau said of value his opinion? The blighter was Swiss - from Geneva shouldn't be used as an example of EU philosophy......the Swiss aren't in the EU and in their referendum they voted against membership, but only trade ties. Never trust the Swiss - they live in cantons and muck around with cuckoo clocks. Fearful little oiks......
I tend to agree with Harry Limes about Switzerland and cuckoo clocks. As for Rousseau? His ideas live long and prosper.
Guy Whittingham

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:But should you worry what Rousseau said of value his opinion? The blighter was Swiss - from Geneva shouldn't be used as an example of EU philosophy......the Swiss aren't in the EU and in their referendum they voted against membership, but only trade ties. Never trust the Swiss - they live in cantons and muck around with cuckoo clocks. Fearful little oiks......
I tend to agree with Harry Limes about Switzerland and cuckoo clocks. As for Rousseau? His ideas live long and prosper.
It's Harry Lime, dullard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, still waiting 4 yu to edumakate me about wot yu ment wiv that Rousseau geezer?

:smt006 :) :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :rofl :rofl :rofl
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Now, still waiting 4 yu to edumakate me about wot yu ment wiv that Rousseau geezer?

Oh look an emoticon explosion (how sad is that).

BTW Harry Limes was a nightclub in Southsea - interesting conversations were had in there about neutrality zones.
Guy Whittingham

Oh look an emoticon explosion (how sad is that).

BTW Harry Limes was a nightclub in Southsea - interesting conversations were had in there about neutrality zones.
I wager more people are caught unawares by the tides than they are by your responses.

Next!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:I wager more people are caught unawares by the tides than they are by your responses.

Next!
Yet you still seem so oblivious to my original point about Rousseau? I wonder why...
Guy Whittingham

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:I wager more people are caught unawares by the tides than they are by your responses.

Next!
Yet you still seem so oblivious to my original point about Rousseau? I wonder why...
This may shock you but I never really cared.

However, you seem oblivious to my point that you are effortlessly predictable.

1. You post some convoluted comment, usually plagiarised from a recent Economist/Guardian/blog article.
2. I respond (and I don't know why I do, as it always follows this pattern. Maybe I'm hoping you will have ****** grown up this time. Ho hum).
3. You quickly post a 'laughing smilie'-ridden comment about how I hilariously missed the point!!! :lol: :lol:
4. You never, ever explain what point I 'missed'.
5. You hang around forever, posting childish insults, in search of the last word.

It's all the product of a precocious 10 year-old. certainly not that of any sane adult, with the resonating impact of slightly wet sock.

Anyway, I've now finished having a ****** so back to you.
Pompey Junglist
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Junglist »

I guess what I was saying earlier is is that if you leave it to the experts they feather their own nest.
No never, no never no more will I trust the elves of Dunsimore
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Junglist wrote:I guess what I was saying earlier is is that if you leave it to the experts they feather their own nest.
And you can't expect much more of them hence my offer to HH - if he can find a rational alien to help humanity live long and prosper then we would all be in a better position. Humanity can be so base in its constructions...