Bobby Moore and my Dad

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Bobby Moore and my Dad

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Twenty years ago today, England's finest ever defender and the only Englishman to have held aloft the World Cup as captain of his country passed away. At the time, the news hardly registered for me as, in the early hours of the following morning, I received a phone call from my Mother urging me to get to Portchester as quickly as I could. I pulled on jeans and a shirt and covered the distance from Titchfield Common to the bungalow on Portsdown Hill I'd been raised in in a matter of minutes, but I was met at the gate by the ambulance driver. I was too late, my Dad was already gone. In his own way he was another great Englishman.

I salute them both.
formerly known as
Kev the Kitman

Re: Bobby Moore and my Dad

Post by formerly known as »

I raise a glass to, it was my dads anniversary yesterday ...
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Sherl, that's really touched me mate- SB xxx
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Blimey, I'm on a little hiatus, and stick my head in...

Sherl, that's lovingly written - and I'll admit (late night last night), that being the 1st thing I read today, made me cry into me cereal. Widders, you're no better either - you've done it to me before.

It's a eloquent reminder that often there are 'RIP ....' - as a celebrity passes on (and there have been a few this week), but of course we don't post when it's someone *much*, much closer.

Will be 30 years in a few weeks, since my Dad died when I'd barely got into long trousers. RIP to those you've lost - all of you - that you were close to. Cherish the years you have, & hope we make the most of the time we are given.
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Twenty years ago today, England's finest ever defender and the only Englishman to have held aloft the World Cup as captain of his country passed away. At the time, the news hardly registered for me as, in the early hours of the following morning, I received a phone call from my Mother urging me to get to Portchester as quickly as I could. I pulled on jeans and a shirt and covered the distance from Titchfield Common to the bungalow on Portsdown Hill I'd been raised in in a matter of minutes, but I was met at the gate by the ambulance driver. I was too late, my Dad was already gone. In his own way he was another great Englishman.

I salute them both.
I thought there was going to be a Sergeant Pepper reference when I started to read that.
A great album, a great defender.....and, I'm sure, a great dad, NSS - my condolences. You have identified the perfect hat-trick.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
formerly known as
Kev the Kitman

Post by formerly known as »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:Blimey, I'm on a little hiatus, and stick my head in...

Sherl, that's lovingly written - and I'll admit (late night last night), that being the 1st thing I read today, made me cry into me cereal. Widders, you're no better either - you've done it to me before.

It's a eloquent reminder that often there are 'RIP ....' - as a celebrity passes on (and there have been a few this week), but of course we don't post when it's someone *much*, much closer.

Will be 30 years in a few weeks, since my Dad died when I'd barely got into long trousers. RIP to those you've lost - all of you - that you were close to. Cherish the years you have, & hope we make the most of the time we are given.

Nice post mate
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Aw - that is a nice post. If ever I've done something to be pleased about (doesn't happen often!) I wish my dad was still around to tell. I always wanted him to be proud of me more than anyone else. Even at my advanced years! Although I still have my mum saying when we go out "Darling, will you be warm enough without a coat on?" so I'm luckier than lots.

And on the theme of bereavement, I've just had to write a condolence letter and my handwriting is appalling! I seem to have lost of the art of writing because I just don't do it anymore. It looks like it's been written by a special needs adult. I wonder if we'll give up handwriting altogether soon.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

:thumb all