From the Snooze (Friday)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

stefeni
Interim Manager

From the Snooze (Friday)

Post by stefeni »

Ricardo Rocha believes the feeling of growing optimism is beginning to spread through Fratton Park.The popular Blues centre-back has noticed a big upturn in positivity that has accompanied the team’s recent results, even though the club is seemingly destined for relegation from League One this season.

While the Portuguese defender is not getting carried away by a run of just two defeats in eight games, he puts it down to some much-needed stability in the squad that means the players are finally gaining an understanding.

Rocha explained: ‘Everybody is getting to know each other more now and I think you can see the difference on the pitch.

‘For example, I know how Patrick Agyemang plays now.

‘I didn’t know at the beginning how Pat liked to receive the ball but we are all starting to know each other.

‘Now we know how a player wants the ball – whether he wants to run on to it or have it into feet – just things like that.

‘Before we couldn’t do that because it was changing every week, with new players always coming and going.

‘There is some optimism at the club but we still have to wait and keep working to make sure it continues.’

Rocha has seen Pompey’s demise at close quarters, having joined them as a Premier League side.

He also saw a dreadful run of form after rejoining the club in November.

He said: ‘When I first came, things went worse and worse but now we’re getting up again.

‘You can see the change but we still have to wait to find out about the ownership of this club and the future.

‘When that happens, it will be a big lift to everyone here who have seen all of the bad things happen.

‘We want to look ahead.’

Barnet locking horns with Fleetwood on a bitterly-cold Tuesday night.Incidentally, the final floodlit match at Underhill before the Bees move to a new stadium near Edgware next season.

And Guy Whittingham was among the crowd to witness it.

Pompey may not be in League Two yet but the caretaker boss is already casting his eye in that direction.

Scouting players and observing future opponents, Whittingham is plotting the road ahead, despite seven matches of the current campaign remaining.

For him, it is crucial to lay the early foundations for the start of what will be a tough ascent back through the leagues.

Of course, the Fratton favourite doesn’t even know if he will remain at the helm to oversee life in the bottom division of the Football League under owners-elect the Pompey Supporters’ Trust.

Nonetheless, he is carrying out the spadework in the here and now.

Last month, Whittingham also took in Torquay’s visit to Aldershot in a bottom-of-the-table tussle.

And he anticipates visiting more League Two fixtures before the season is out.

He said: ‘I was at Barnet the other night to look at a couple of players.

‘Not only that but it is interesting to see the styles of play other League Two teams have and the manner in which they play football. I generally look at League Two every chance I can get – it’s something I feel is important to do.

‘We’re not giving up fighting to stay in League One at the moment, I don’t think any fan could say that after watching us recently. But it does not take Einstein to work out League Two is probably where we will be next season.

‘It will be a miracle if we stay up from this point, I have to be honest.

‘So we have to take advantage from that and start looking ahead now and planning how we are going to handle that.

‘You cannot not be prepared. I think we have got to get a head start and the more you can get out and look at players in League Two, the better off you will be.

‘There are players we have identified who are out of contract next season and we are monitoring them.

‘I also watched Aldershot and Torquay the other week. It’s just interesting looking at who could be our opposition next season. I’m just getting around and seeing who the other sides are out there.’

On the same night Whittingham ventured to Barnet, his team slumped back to the bottom of League One.

Victory for Bury over Stevenage lifted them above the Blues, while fellow strugglers Oldham also won, leaving Pompey eight points adrift of safety – before any 10-point deduction.

Harsh on Whittingham’s side whose performances have picked up so impressively of late.

He added: ‘Two good results for teams around us and we are bottom of the league again.

‘It’s unfortunate after a decent run of performances but we’ll keep on going.’

Meanwhile, former Pompey player Matt Ritchie has been shortlisted as League One player of the year.

The Bournemouth midfielder joins Coventry’s Leon Clarke and Notts County’s Alan Judge in vying for the title.

Johnny Ertl has targeted getting among the goals before the end of the season.The Pompey captain is after a place on the scoresheet over the final seven games of the campaign.

Ertl has settled into a defensive-midfield role for the Blues as their form improves.

Goals aren’t a natural part of the Austrian’s game, as he focuses on doing the donkey work in the middle of the park.

But the 30-year-old has been showing greater intent going forward, going close with a piledriver at Crewe and creating the opportunity for David Connolly to score against Bury, when his 20-yarder was saved.

Ertl is hopeful of seeing the net bulge from one of his efforts before the season is out.

He said: ‘I’d definitely like to get on the scoresheet before the end of the season.

‘That would be one of my targets to achieve.

‘It doesn’t matter who scores but it would be a great thing to score for this club.’

Ertl also hailed his improving relationship with Therry Racon in midfield ahead of the Coventry meeting.

He believes they are improving all the time, with Pompey naming an unchanged side for the past five games.

Ertl said: ‘Therry’s a great lad and I like him.

‘He’s also a good player who brings experience to the dressing room.

‘Therry knows the league and he knows how to play. I enjoy the partnership with him.

‘The only problem is his music taste! But what can you do?

‘It seems we have a settled side. You see how things have developed because of that.

‘We went behind against the leaders but came back strong because we are settled.

‘The back four looks settled and the centre-halves are talking. We have a real strong core.’

Ertl feels the constant Pompey side has helped the development of the youngsters who have been blooded of late.

He said: ‘When I look at the youngsters’ development I’m really pleased.

‘Dan (Butler) has settled in at left-back and Jed (Wallace), with his energy, has done really well and is a good finisher. Then there is Liam (Walker) with his quality and free-kick he scored at Scunny.

‘It’s a huge learning process for them but this is a good time for them to play.’

Young Portsmouth footballers have been left confused over being handed their dreams of playing at Fratton Park.Pompey have opted out of pencilling in the schools’ cup finals at their home as they wait for their future to become clearer.

And that could mean heartache for many children hoping to walk out on the same turf as their heroes.

The News Trophy, Supporters’ Cup and Stokes Cup finals have traditionally been staged at Fratton Park for decades.

With youth football facing reform from next season, it will be the last time some of these competitions can be held on an 11-a-side pitch.

Pompey have stated they are only honouring contractual commitments at the stadium, as they wait for the outcome of next month’s High Court case which is crucial to their future.

Administrators PKF will go to court on April 10 or 11 to attempt to release Balram Chainrai’s charge over Fratton Park – the final obstacle to Pompey Supporters’ Trust taking over the club.

Portsmouth Schools’ Football Association (PSFA) are happy to pay to hire Fratton Park. And they are also willing to be flexible over dates to stage the finals.

But they are now being forced to turn to Moneyfields FC for help, with the Blues deciding not to make any offer to stage the event at present.

Schools’ spokesman Graham Bryant said: ‘There is a lot of confusion about what is happening. We know there are problems at the club with the court case but there has been no suggestion they could look at it. We don’t really understand why.

‘We are more than willing to pay our way and we don’t demand any dates other than what is available.

‘It’s important for Portsmouth’s future, their support and the community.

‘These children will never forget the day they played at Fratton Park.

‘And there will be their friends and family who go along to lend their support.

‘With the cost of going to matches these days, it may be the only chance they get to go to the ground.

‘In future we won’t be able to play the final at Fratton at a young age because of the change in rules in youth football.

‘At the moment we are confused about what is going on.’

Pompey are hoping they will be able to look at their decision after the court date next month.

A club spokesman said: ‘Until the court case is settled the club cannot commit to anything beyond the end of the season.

‘This could be open to review depending on what happens next month.’

Tickets have gone on sale for the Pompey return of Hermann Hreidarsson. The Fratton favourite has offered to bring the Icelandic club side he manages, IBV, over to England next month in a Pompey Supporters’ Trust fundraising match.

The 38-year-old also intends to play in the Tuesday, April 16, fixture (7.45pm), pulling on his boots to run out at Fratton Park one last time.

Goalkeeper David James is also expected to be part of the IBV starting line-up for what will form part of their pre-season.

The ex-Blue is set to join Hreidarsson in Iceland following his release from Bournemouth this month.

Organisers hope it will add up to a bumper Pompey crowd as fans welcome back two members of the 2008 FA Cup-winning side.

All profits from the occasion will go towards buying Trust shares in what is anticipated to be the month the ownership situation will be finalised.

Seats are priced at £10 for adults, £5 for seniors (60+) and young persons (17-22) and £1 for juniors (under 17).

They can be bought online from portsmouthfc.co.uk or the Frogmore Road ticket office.

Supporters can also purchase tickets from the booths behind the Fratton end between 9.30am and 1pm tomorrow.

However, only the Fratton end and South stand will be open for the match.

MORE LOCAL STORIES

Guy Whittingham feels skipper Johnny Ertl has become Pompey’s inspirational leader.The popular Austrian has been a constant voice of positivity since his arrival at Fratton Park and has won over the doubters with a string of consistent displays.

His performances in a holding-midfield role have been a key part of the Blues’ improvement in recent weeks.

After Whittingham made Ertl skipper following Brian Howard’s departure, the ex-Crystal Palace` man has stepped up a gear with his commitment to the cause and his on-pitch leadership, becoming a fans’ favourite in the process.

And the caretaker Blues boss believes the responsibility of the captaincy has extracted something extra from the 30-year-old.

Whittingham said: ‘Johnny has really taken to it since we gave him that captain’s armband. It has definitely boosted him.

‘He loves the crowd, he loves being around here, he gets on with all the staff and he’s a positive guy to have around the club.

‘He’s done wonders for us from that point of view and he has led by example in many games. He just doesn’t stop.

‘Whether it is tackling, his enthusiasm in getting people to pick up or heading the ball – whatever it is. He does lead by example and that’s what your captain should do.’

It’s fair to say there were doubts about the former Austria international among many supporters when Ertl joined Pompey in September and he struggled in his early performances.

But those doubts have been silenced after nailing down his preferred position as a combative central midfielder to become a key figure in a settled side.

While it has surprised some, Whittingham insists he expected nothing less once he got to know Ertl’s character and drive to succeed.

Whittingham said: ‘I knew the players before but I was working with the development group so I didn’t get to know them quite as closely.

‘But now I have got to know them, it doesn’t surprise me at all with him.

‘He has shown a great attitude, he wants to work hard and is the ideal kind of guy to have around the place. He’s just a really positive guy.’

Whittingham has refused to start making too many plans on his hopes for next season.

But in casting a tentative eye towards next term’s squad, he admits he would love to keep Ertl at the heart of it.

The Blues boss said: ‘He is one we want to keep. But there are not many in the squad that you look at now and think “I’m not sure about him”.

‘All of them are on our radar.

‘The thoughts are there that we have a core of a decent side coming together but we can’t get ahead of ourselves.

‘But if you can keep a few of this side, I think it would be something to be optimistic about.’

Jimmy Guthrie holds the FA Cup after Pompey’s shock 4-1 defeat of Wolves in the 1939 final at Wembley.The Blues had lost their previous two Cup finals - to Bolton in 1929 and Manchester City five years later - and they were underdogs in this one.

But after outside-right Freddie Worall kept up his tradition before any of Pompey’s FA Cup ties that season of fastening on boss Jack Tinn’s lucky spats, the Blues caused a shock in front of 99,370 fans.

They took the lead through Bert Berlow, before Jock Anderson and Cliff Parker netted.

Wolves pulled a goal back through Dickie Dorsett but Pompey ensured they were not to be denied the silverware when Parker headed home his second of the match.

Pompey are not expecting to make any more loan deals this season.The emergency loan window closes a week today on March 28.

As it stands, the Blues have two vacant slots in their squad and currently have two players on loan.

The scope is there for Guy Whittingham to bolster his set-up, yet it is not something he is currently exploring.

The performances of a side which has lost just two of their past eight matches has convinced the caretaker manager any other loan additions are not a necessity.

In addition, it remains a consideration to promote a member of the Academy into the first-team squad.

And for Whittingham, the loan market is not attracting his attention at present.

He said: ‘Will I get in any more players on loan? Probably not.

‘I expect there will be a lot of movement for other clubs ahead of the deadline, but not us.

‘Everybody is fit and the performances have been good so it is not a necessity. We are doing okay.

‘If we are going to bring in anybody it will most likely be one of our young lads.

‘There are two spots but we are not in any rush to fill them. You can get a Championship player in but they are not going to come to us next season.

‘And if they are League One or League Two and not wanted at this late stage of the campaign, they are not really someone we would want.

‘I can’t see us doing anything unless something really good comes up.’

Shaun Cooper (Crawley) and Patrick Agyemang (Stevenage) are the two players currently on loan with the Blues.
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: From the Snooze (Friday)

Post by Pompski! »

There's only one thing worse than losing 10 games on the trot and that is winning two and then reading the old "optimism" story.

Cheers Stef :thumb
I am me, the universe and you.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: From the Snooze (Friday)

Post by Selsey Bill »

Cheers for this as always Stef :thumb

Much more positive news for a change, and I have a sneaky suspicion we might win tomorrow to add to that....