Chief executive in ‘affordable’ Pompey season ticket pledge

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Chief executive in ‘affordable’ Pompey season ticket pledge

Post by Selsey Bill »

More positive stuff emanating from the club:

(From Neil Allen of the Snooze)

Pompey have pledged to attract more fans to the club through ‘affordable’ season-ticket prices.

That is the promise from Mark Catlin as the new ownership prepares to deliver its packages for the 2013-14 campaign.

The pricing has been established, although won’t be released for two weeks while everything is finalised.

However, newly-appointed chief executive Catlin believes fans will approve as they seek to build on the existing 8,080 holders.

He said: ‘We have got the prices ready and are in the process of getting the marketing campaign up and running and the structures in place.

‘I would think the prices are going to be announced in two weeks max.

‘We have obviously got to run it as a business, but we want football to be affordable to the public of Portsmouth.

‘A lot of emphasis is going to be on kids.

‘We think that is the way to go. We want to encourage the kids in and also we want to make it that if people want season tickets there are clever ways to pay where maybe they don’t have to pay everything in advance.

‘You can’t get Fratton Park packed out every week, but we want bums on seats, we want the Portsmouth public to support their local team.

‘Our budgets are based around certain income levels.

‘It is about how you arrive at that income, whether you have 8,000 at X money or 18,000 at X money, which is achievable.

‘That debate has been going on in the boardroom.

‘We don’t want empty seats so are looking at students, disadvantaged groups, children, whatever – we are going to do all we can to get people into the Park.’
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Re: Chief executive in ‘affordable’ Pompey season ticket ple

Post by Here comes AFC »

It's going to be an interesting announcement. are we going for:
- less than last season as we are now a fan owned club in a lower division
- the same as last season
- the sort of prices fan owned clubs charge
- an average for L2
GreenFox
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenFox »

Sounds promising but I'd be surprised if we weren't charging towards the top end of L 2
My knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by my zest for kung-fu treachery
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

GreenFox wrote:I'd be surprised if we weren't charging towards the top end of L 2
I'd be surprised, and probably not a ST holder any more, if we are.

Just that I know of from friends/colleagues, a similar seat to what I have at FP, will cost.
460 at Exeter
400 at Wimbledon (regardless of whether they're a league club next season)
350 at Gillingham

IIRC our prices last season were around 290
Mick Hill
Gary O'Neil

Post by Mick Hill »

How about pay on the day at the turnstiles as it is a right pain standing in a queue behind the fratton end to get tickets.
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

Mick Hill wrote:How about pay on the day at the turnstiles as it is a right pain standing in a queue behind the fratton end to get tickets.
I very much doubt there is spare cash available to start replacing turnstiles in the near future
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Mick Hill wrote:How about pay on the day at the turnstiles as it is a right pain standing in a queue behind the fratton end to get tickets.
Its on the list of the many things being looked into.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I'm not sure how they'll arrive at season ticket prices.

Do you say that given you're paying up front you get, perhaps, 5 matches free? Many people who can't make it all the time might be tempted by that.

So as an example 23 matches times £20 comes to £460 but with 5 free matches that's 18 times 20 gives you £360.

So paying up front saves you £100 but also means the club gets potentially £100 less out of you.

It sounds quite a chunk of revenue gone when put like that but the club can presumably make money out of a large lump sum from season ticket money, albeit gradually diminishing as costs accrue.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

I believe last season's season ticket price worked out at £13 a game for early birds. That was a significant saving on the standard £20 per game.

The lowest price for a league 2 match is around £20. I can see Fratton prices all 'round being very similar to last season.

Perhaps an incentive would be to include any home cup games in the price of a season ticket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19984968
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Here comes AFC wrote:
GreenFox wrote:I'd be surprised if we weren't charging towards the top end of L 2

Just that I know of from friends/colleagues, a similar seat to what I have at FP, will cost.
460 at Exeter
350 at Gillingham

Just checked my records and last year I paid £299 for my ticket, £225 for my 18 year, and £75 each for my two under 16 year olds. These were early bird prices. When they went on general sale they were £399, £299 and £75 respectively.
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Here comes AFC wrote:

460 at Exeter
350 at Gillingham

Just checked my records and last year I paid £299 for my ticket, £225 for my 18 year, and £75 each for my two under 16 year olds. These were early bird prices. When they went on general sale they were £399, £299 and £75 respectively.
The figures quoted are for existing ST holders renewing, Exeter's goes to best part of £500 once early bird period is over
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

It certainly does not want to be more than this year thats for sure, our wage bill must be vastly reduced compared to this season as a whole and with the departure of our good friend BC and the aquisition by the club i expect the gates be be much better than this year, especially if we start off strong all the glory hunters will start coming back.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

Portchester PFC wrote:It certainly does not want to be more than this year thats for sure, our wage bill must be vastly reduced compared to this season as a whole and with the departure of our good friend BC and the aquisition by the club i expect the gates be be much better than this year, especially if we start off strong all the glory hunters will start coming back.
But this year required HNWs to pump in money to cover the bills.

I assume the club has been stripped bare and it appears most money is being used in buying the club. Sooner or later cash reserves to cover a string of postponements etc will have to be built up
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

Here comes AFC wrote:But this year required HNWs to pump in money to cover the bills.
This was last (calendar) year, before the expensive flops were jettisoned, I think you'll find. The club has been self-sustaining this year. I'm sure LiT will confirm or otherwise.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
Here comes AFC wrote:But this year required HNWs to pump in money to cover the bills.
This was last (calendar) year, before the expensive flops were jettisoned, I think you'll find. The club has been self-sustaining this year. I'm sure LiT will confirm or otherwise.
Since February - the club has been self-sustaining. The budget of the squad Whittingham has built being lower than the one by Appleton.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.