O/T end of an Era

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

O/T end of an Era

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Well that's that then, left the army today having spent nigh on 36 years man & boy in uniform. Not quite sure how I feel just now. I am a civilian :shock:
Vince
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Re: O/T end of an Era

Post by Chiswick Blue »

You can always be a mercenary!
Be like Richard Burton in the Wild Geese!
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Fratton End Exile wrote:Well that's that then, left the army today having spent nigh on 36 years man & boy in uniform. Not quite sure how I feel just now. I am a civilian :shock:
Oh, it's utterly ****** out here, mate. These civvies are all lazy, mouthy w@nkers.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

That's some service record FEE and well done to you for it.

Maybe Mrs FEE will have some plans for your time ?
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

itsaintfunny wrote:That's some service record FEE and well done to you for it.

Maybe Mrs FEE will have some plans for your time ?
Thanks ISF, i've got a new job already and in the process of buying our first home - be enough to keep me busy I reckon :D
Vince
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Fratton End Exile wrote:Well that's that then, left the army today having spent nigh on 36 years man & boy in uniform. Not quite sure how I feel just now. I am a civilian :shock:
Thank you for your dedicated service to the country. Hope the new job goes well and you get more time to spend on the La la compos next year :-)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

I would imagine you would feel a little raw and a little lost at the moment -after 36 years with the Armed Forces, you are emotionally still tied to a disciplined environment where you felt part of an enlarged family. If you walked out of the barrack gates today, then it makes it all the more difficult - but think of it like this. There are plenty of people who work at the same job for a similar length of time and feel institutionised when they leave and to use a phrase feel 'like a spare pr..k at a bishop's wedding.'

If I read this right, then you must be early to mid 50s - you probably have some worthwhile training from your Army career and some idea of what you'd like to do. Take your time, don't vegitate and look at this as an opportunity to tackle new projects - 'Civvy Street' can give you untold opportunities. Good luck - there are probably a lot of peeps on this board who can empathise with you having been in the forces themselves. I haven't, but can imagine how you must feel........
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Wow! Never mind, FEE, you got us to help you through (not that much of a morale boost I know but we'll do our best).
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Good luck and good wishes from me as well. :thumb
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
pompeypanther
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeypanther »

My old dad did 36 years too. As a Royal Engineer with clerk of works etc experience, he walked into a job as a building inspector with the NHBC which he did for another 12 years before retiring. He said it was strange out in civvy street at first (and he did have the most organised office at home I've ever seen!), but him and mum always tried to have a house in the civvy world (rented out) so just before he left they sold that and bought a new house for themselves to live in.

Best of luck for the future - hope it's all that you want it to be!
"When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail...."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Well done on your service FEE, good luck in Civvy St.
:thumb