Django Unchained

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Django Unchained

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Just seen.
Brilliant.
Tarantino is an absolute master of celluloid. He has an awesome way with actors.
Samuel L Jackson.....incredible in a relatively minor role
Christoper Weiss?...apologies if I got his name wrong...anyhoo, the Nazi in Inglorious....outstanding in the Django second lead role.
Jamie Foxx....good but not exceptional
De Caprio....masterful.

Cant think of any other director out there putting out must see stuff.

Guy Ritchie, who has done brilliantly in his own right, looks like a second rate copy.
Div III. Call it what it is.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Re: Django Unchained

Post by miltoninLA »

Spielberg .... Lincoln
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
pompeypanther
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeypanther »

miltoninLA wrote:Spielberg .... Lincoln
"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............." was the quote from my sister in law who absolutely lives for anything historical in books or film.

I quite enjoyed the very quirky and quite British style of Sightseers.
"When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail...."
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

I really enjoyed Django, was a fan of the original films and I felt Tarantino did a good job.
I didn't like Samuel L Jackson however, i felt the role was created just to put Jackson in his mate's movie, i didnt fell the character added anything to the film and found his relationship with his owner, DiCaprio, was all wrong. I just don't see how a powerful and rich plantation owner would allow a slave to talk to him the way he did?

It's interesting that Hollywood are moving on to this stage in the history of the US now having totally dried up the well of the Westerns.
I read something recently which amazed me, the Wild West never actually happened! It was pretty much created by Hollywood in the 1920s/1930s.
The average death count in any wild west town in a year was only 1.5, even at the infamous massacre at the Gun Fight At The Ok Carrol only 3 people died.
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Wimbledon Blue wrote:I really enjoyed Django, was a fan of the original films and I felt Tarantino did a good job.
I didn't like Samuel L Jackson however, i felt the role was created just to put Jackson in his mate's movie, i didnt fell the character added anything to the film and found his relationship with his owner, DiCaprio, was all wrong. I just don't see how a powerful and rich plantation owner would allow a slave to talk to him the way he did?

It's interesting that Hollywood are moving on to this stage in the history of the US now having totally dried up the well of the Westerns.
I read something recently which amazed me, the Wild West never actually happened! It was pretty much created by Hollywood in the 1920s/1930s.
The average death count in any wild west town in a year was only 1.5, even at the infamous massacre at the Gun Fight At The Ok Carrol only 3 people died.
Interesting.
See, I felt Jacksons role was that of the ultimate collaborator, akin to the Nazis using Jewish guards (kapos) in their camps. Thus I fund his role and relationship with De Caprio, convincing.
Think there is a lot of truth in your assertaion re the Wild West. Mrs Kid has visited boot hill in Tombstone AZ ans also Deadwood in S. Dakota.....it's on my bucket list...which gets longer as I get older.

Here lies Lester Moore
Four slugs from a 44
No Less No More
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Wimbledon Blue wrote:I really enjoyed Django, was a fan of the original films and I felt Tarantino did a good job.

It is also why the Hatfield / McCoy story got such National news towards its end - the number of killings over the years after the Cicil war ended.

With regards to Django - I can't help but think it is designed to open the wounds of racism in some fashion. When it was first released, Jamie Foxx quoted on several televised interviews that he was happy he got to shoot all the 'white people'. When asked if he felt his comments were racist, his apparent answer was, if your black and you get to shoot at white people, why would anyone turn the role down'.

Although the release date was Dec 25th last year, the hype started in October. With jamie Foxx being a staunch Obama supporter...were his racism fuelled comments innocent considering the election in early November......
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
redman With A Blue Ticket
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by redman With A Blue Ticket »

[youtube][/youtube]
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

uspompeyfan wrote:

It is also why the Hatfield / McCoy story got such National news towards its end - the number of killings over the years after the Cicil war ended.

With regards to Django - I can't help but think it is designed to open the wounds of racism in some fashion. When it was first released, Jamie Foxx quoted on several televised interviews that he was happy he got to shoot all the 'white people'. When asked if he felt his comments were racist, his apparent answer was, if your black and you get to shoot at white people, why would anyone turn the role down'.

Although the release date was Dec 25th last year, the hype started in October. With jamie Foxx being a staunch Obama supporter...were his racism fuelled comments innocent considering the election in early November......
Good greif USPF....I do wonder how your sanity is going sometimes! Just how is your FOX indoctrination process going.
Mr. Foxx's comments were on Saturday Nite Live....it was a comedy show last time I checked.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Mr. Foxx's comments were on Saturday Nite Live....it was a comedy show last time I checked.
I think you'll find it was also said on a mainstream interview too. I guess that just because it is on SNL, then that makes the racial overtone ok then? Had a similar comment been made on Fox or by a proclaimed Conservative, would it have been deemed funny or racist?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

uspompeyfan wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Mr. Foxx's comments were on Saturday Nite Live....it was a comedy show last time I checked.
I think you'll find it was also said on a mainstream interview too. I guess that just because it is on SNL, then that makes the racial overtone ok then? Had a similar comment been made on Fox or by a proclaimed Conservative, would it have been deemed funny or racist?
Saw an interview with him on British tv about the film and everyone took it for what it very clearly was, a joke.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

uspompeyfan wrote:
No point in arguing....i'll just leave you to your theory that Tarantino made a movie to highlite racial tensions and re-open race wounds in America (that was released after the election) and aimed at motivating black people to vote for Obama and democrats, the bloke and party 90% of the black population already votes for. And, agent Foxx, being party to said conspiracy, accepted guest invites to numerous tv shows to further said plan by saying he enjoyed a role where he got to kill lots of white people.