Sporting Fiesta

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Sporting Fiesta

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

On a day when the Manx Missile Mark Cavendish won the opening stage of the Giro of Italy, Ronnie O'Sullivan demolished Judd Trump ans seems likely to retain the World Snooker Title, another super horse arrived on the scene at Newmarket. Trained in Ireland by the softly spoken Jim Bulger and wearing the silks of Godolphin, Dawn Approach won the 2000 Guineas the first classic of the season. He did not so much win it, he made a mockery of a high class field and skated up up 5 lengths to remain unbeaten. Speculation that he might not get the Derby trip because of his breeding can I feel, be discounted. Depending on the final decision of Jim Bolger and Sheihk Mohammad, he will run and if he does, dump the mortgage on it! He's as near a racing certainty as it's possible to be.

Today Rocket Ronnie will play the World snooker final against a journeyman pro in Barry Hawkins, who overcame Ricky Walden in what I can only describe as the most boring safety exchanges it has been my misfortune to witness in the modern game - to say they stunk the place out could not be confirmed by the audience, most of whom were either comatose or praying for death.

Today, we have the prospect of Brad Wiggins' Team Sky winning the Time Trial in the 2nd stage of the Giro before the race gets going earnest and the climbing men slug it out in the mountains over the next 3 weeks. Wiggo has surrounded himself with some fearsome climbers and who would bet against him him winning the overall classification. Well it's a big 'ask' but it would be a wonderful entree to the Main Course, Le Tour de France in the summer. Enjoy your sport fest, fellow devotees of the sporting arts and remember that there are other sporting attractions outside of the rather grubby world of football.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Re: Sporting Fiesta

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

The "grubby world of football" was great yesterday (with the exception of GB 1- 0 Saints) with all the drama of relegation, promotion, avoiding relegation, missing out on automatic promotion.

When Barnsley and Huddersfield both realised they were staying up, the whole crowd, as in both sets of supporters, were chanting Yorkshire Yorkshire and the fans were applauding each other. I wonder if that could ever happen in Hampshire with our two teams. Somehow I doubt it. Shame.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Ziggy Stardust wrote:The "grubby world of football" was great yesterday (with the exception of GB 1- 0 Saints) with all the drama of relegation, promotion, avoiding relegation, missing out on automatic promotion.

When Barnsley and Huddersfield both realised they were staying up, the whole crowd, as in both sets of supporters, were chanting Yorkshire Yorkshire and the fans were applauding each other. I wonder if that could ever happen in Hampshire with our two teams. Somehow I doubt it. Shame.
A fair defence Ms Stardust - however, after the nobility of the Olympic Games and the snarling return of football in August, it was appalling to find that the strutting popinjays of the Premiership had learnt nothing apart from the continued ability to cheat and highlight all the deceit of the modern game. As for our 2 teams in Hampshire growing to love one another, it's only mindless idiots that reflect their feelings of the alleged enmity - they weren't even born when the events that led to this impasse occurred.

Allow me the indulgence of summer to enjoy the 'other sports' and give us a break from the arrogance of Tabloids indulging the whims of the so called football glitterati to ingratiate themselves upon mean spirited pygmies of mankind.....
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Not that I don't enjoy a frame or two of snooker Pomp, but sport?
Don't think anything you can play with a pint of lager next to yer ashtray qualifies as sport.
A game surely.
Div III. Call it what it is.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Not that I don't enjoy a frame or two of snooker Pomp, but sport?
Don't think anything you can play with a pint of lager next to yer ashtray qualifies as sport.
A game surely.
You've answered your own question CK - snooker is indeed a game, as is all sport. All sporting endeavour was devised by man iniitially as a pastime or game. Again it stems from the latin word ludo - so the winner of the game became the Victor Ludorum. Some games require less athletic ability but the professionals playing 'games' now have insured that the level of expertise is mind blowingly brilliant -at times!
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Ludo, now that`s what I call real sport. Beats anything with a ball.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Not that I don't enjoy a frame or two of snooker Pomp, but sport?
A game surely.
Incorrect. Any "sport" that is enjoyed without beer or fags is just "p.e"
I am me, the universe and you.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

P.E.? Can't you get tablets for that now?
Pompski! wrote:
A game surely.
Incorrect. Any "sport" that is enjoyed without beer or fags is just "p.e"
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

The fiesta continues.....gorgeous, pouting, bed worthy, Laura Robson thrashes world No: 5 Radwanska the Wimbledon runner up 6-3 6-1 in the Madrid Open - 'nurse, fetch the screens, I may be delayed some time....'
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:The fiesta continues.....gorgeous, pouting, bed worthy, Laura Robson thrashes world No: 5 Radwanska the Wimbledon runner up 6-3 6-1 in the Madrid Open - 'nurse, fetch the screens, I may be delayed some time....'
You really should get out more.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Milkins wrote:
pomp 'n circumstance wrote:The fiesta continues.....gorgeous, pouting, bed worthy, Laura Robson thrashes world No: 5 Radwanska the Wimbledon runner up 6-3 6-1 in the Madrid Open - 'nurse, fetch the screens, I may be delayed some time....'
Just allow me this one indulgence, dear boy......any girl with a left hand service of that sort of power deserves to be worshiped on the altar of Middle England. Her next opponent is Ana Ivanovic, a sort of Serbian goddess of the uber nerd. If she wins that then I may have to take the week off.....as Matron has indicated in rather an unnecessary stern tone, I thought......
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:
Milkins wrote:
Just allow me this one indulgence, dear boy......any girl with a left hand service of that sort of power deserves to be worshiped on the altar of Middle England. Her next opponent is Ana Ivanovic, a sort of Serbian goddess of the uber nerd. If she wins that then I may have to take the week off.....as Matron has indicated in rather an unnecessary stern tone, I thought......

Well, if throwing one over your thumb whilst watching a tv screen is your thing, fire away...

I assume you're typing with your left hand?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."