calling any nutritionist - better than Google #96

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

calling any nutritionist - better than Google #96

Post by <dj.> »

After a delicious starter of gin and tonic (Fever Tree, of course) I had a slow cooked dinner of pork and courgettes tonight. With it I drank a 75cl bottle of Healey's Classis Oak Matured Cornish Cider. http://thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/shop/h ... k-matured/ Again, truly delicious! The cider is 7.4% alcohol, which by my simple mathematics means that it must be 92.6% apples.

Can I count this as one of my five a day?
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: calling any nutritionist - better than Google #96

Post by Pompski! »

What I don't get about the BS that is the 5-a-day lark is that a "portion" is meant to be a handful. Therefore about 20 grapes is the same as about 200 raisins. How can that be?!
I am me, the universe and you.
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

Pompski! wrote:What I don't get about the BS that is the 5-a-day lark is that a "portion" is meant to be a handful. Therefore about 20 grapes is the same as about 200 raisins. How can that be?!
Isn't is just (very) basic guidance so people get some vitamins, minerals and fibre in their diet?
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham

Post by Pompski! »

... and chips wrote:
Pompski! wrote:What I don't get about the BS that is the 5-a-day lark is that a "portion" is meant to be a handful. Therefore about 20 grapes is the same as about 200 raisins. How can that be?!
Isn't is just (very) basic guidance so people get some vitamins, minerals and fibre in their diet?
Correct. Apparantly they picked 5 because they thought that was the maximum people would consume per day without complaining. Nothing to do with being the perfect level of nutrients etc.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Pompski! wrote:
... and chips wrote:
Correct. Apparantly they picked 5 because they thought that was the maximum people would consume per day without complaining. Nothing to do with being the perfect level of nutrients etc.
I was told its 8 in France
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompski! wrote:
... and chips wrote:
I can recall as a child being told by the headmaster of my junior school that you should chew each mouthful of food 33 times. I don't know if he got the Daily Mail but these arbitrary pieces of wisdom are to be found everywhere. It's astonishing how seldom these homilies are challenged as so often they're not based on any scientific criteria but are chosen because they're great sound-bites (sorry!).
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

<dj.> wrote:After a delicious starter of gin and tonic (Fever Tree, of course) I had a slow cooked dinner of pork and courgettes tonight. With it I drank a 75cl bottle of Healey's Classis Oak Matured Cornish Cider. http://thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/shop/h ... k-matured/ Again, truly delicious! The cider is 7.4% alcohol, which by my simple mathematics means that it must be 92.6% apples.

Can I count this as one of my five a day?
Yup
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Correct answer Ziggy!

Not only that, I've now discovered that it doesn't count towards my 3-4 units of alcohol per day because it's one of my five fruit and veg. Clearly it would be double counting to put it in both lists.

I believe Pomp can do the same with his acceptable claret, as a glass of grape juice counts as one of his 5 a day.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

<dj.> wrote:Correct answer Ziggy!

Not only that, I've now discovered that it doesn't count towards my 3-4 units of alcohol per day because it's one of my five fruit and veg. Clearly it would be double counting to put it in both lists.

I believe Pomp can do the same with his acceptable claret, as a glass of grape juice counts as one of his 5 a day.
Superb news! That works for me too with the grapes.
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

<dj.> wrote:I've now discovered that it doesn't count towards my 3-4 units of alcohol per day
That's an arbitrary number as well
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham

Post by Pompski! »

<dj.> wrote:3-4 units of alcohol per day.
3-4? three TO four? I've been reading it as 34 units a day all these years. *hic*.