Mark Catlin and Richie Barker under attack

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Re: Mark Catlin and Richie Barker under attack

Post by Pompey Gary »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote: All League 2 clubs have limited finances and high staff turnover. If Pompey began with a moderate to fair budget who then is to blame for putting together a poor group of players, Whittingham or the board for their sentimental appointment of him?
My opinion all along was that in the summer we needed to appoint an established lower league manager (I would include Barker in that category).

It was a huge decision that the board had to take and one which they couldn't win. If we hadn't have appointed guy there would have been uproar from some areas of the fan base due to the perceived improvement in performances at the end of last season. You only have to look at the opinions of some quarters regarding his sacking still.

I do feel that the board made the wrong decision but that's with hindsight, I do however understand why they did what they did. Unfortunately I think its put us at least one season behind where we want to be.
Good points made and on the whole ones I agree with. Barker's credentials still worry me though. But at this stage we've got no choice but to support him for the remaining 9 games. I think we'll survive but I wouldn't put much money on it...
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote:At the start of the season I predeicted (hoped?) that we would be about halfway at Christmas, and then flirt with the play-offs as the team settled down, before finishing about 8th-10th. I would not call that delusional, and so I do regard the present campaign as both disappointing and frustrating.

However, more importantly, I also thought that by this stage we would have identified a core of a team that would take us forward, and with a few additions give us a chance of promotion in 2014-15. I am very annoyed that we haven't even got this far. I still have no idea of what constitutes our best team, who is likely to be here next season or how we are trying to play. Too many different players have been used in too many positions to no great impact. It looks like we will be starting again with yet another new bunch of players in August and crossing our fingers.

RB talks OK about having a small squad and playing attacking football, but I see no evidence that it is going to happen. I realise that he cannot divulge too much to the public, but some basis for hope would relieve the frustration.
That's a very good summary of how I feel about it.

Barker's appointment was a mistake.
We needed either a very experienced head to bring stability or a charismatic manager the players deeply respect (and would play for) with contacts at the highest level to bring in loanees.
What we got is an inexperienced head with no charisma. At least with Coppell we have contacts. Shorey is a direct example of how this has helped.

However, we have Barker so we have to support him - I would never call for his head during a game as this is unlikely to help the team get points....but I'm damn well going to express my concerns about him (and the very dodgy manner of his betting odds before interviews were even over) on this forum.

I also don't like criticism of the players during the game - and most definitely not by Barker after the game.

Let's hope Barker continues to improve (yes, I believe he has) so we can start next season with some hope - we need season-ticket holders forking out for a renewal.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey_Galactico
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey_Galactico »

I cant see why we ever went for RB, poor track record and he is tactically inept. I dont get to too many games as I work in hospitality so I work most weekends. But I did get to witness the debacle that was the Cheltenham game after all the promise of the Chesterfield game. We went 442 which was clearly not working, all game it was crying out for someone to control the midfield and take the game from there. Had RB bothered to open his eyes he would have seen that an extra midfielder would have helped anchor the middle completely and let us start supporting Jervis which we have not done for quite some time. This league needs a big strong defensive midfeilder to hold the center ground, allowing wide players to attack, the lone striker to stay in the box and 2 midfielders supporting. That is where your goals will come from, not playing 442 with some of the smallest players I have ever seen. We do not have much strength in the middle so we need numbers. Also why is our best passer of the ball Racon never played. He would have turned the Cheltenham game on its head. We need a creative force, Racon is that force, it could be wallace but he keeps playing him out wide. Same with fogden, brilliant against Chesterfield in his natural position in the center of the park but barker still says his best position is out wide, when it is quite clearly not. I know injuries have hampered things a lot, but it is still ot an excuse.

I have supported pompey for years and will continue to, but I cannot support the man in charge. Until he goes I wont be happy. We started off with a manager who was a great coach, but not management material. Now we have a manager who is neither and just slags his players off all the time. I cant blame them for not wanting to put the effort it, they are damed if they do and damed if they don't, could you honestly say you would give 100% at work if your boss slagged you off openly in front of everyone 4 days out of the week. I know I couldn't. Do us a favour Barker and pack your bags, the team would be doing a lot better with out you!!!!
Life is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it or trying to get a piece of it.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate .... coincidence? i think not!!!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pompey_Galactico wrote:I cant see why we ever went for RB, poor track record and he is tactically inept. I dont get to too many games as I work in hospitality so I work most weekends. But I did get to witness the debacle that was the Cheltenham game after all the promise of the Chesterfield game. We went 442 which was clearly not working, all game it was crying out for someone to control the midfield and take the game from there. Had RB bothered to open his eyes he would have seen that an extra midfielder would have helped anchor the middle completely and let us start supporting Jervis which we have not done for quite some time. This league needs a big strong defensive midfeilder to hold the center ground, allowing wide players to attack, the lone striker to stay in the box and 2 midfielders supporting. That is where your goals will come from, not playing 442 with some of the smallest players I have ever seen. We do not have much strength in the middle so we need numbers. Also why is our best passer of the ball Racon never played. He would have turned the Cheltenham game on its head. We need a creative force, Racon is that force, it could be wallace but he keeps playing him out wide. Same with fogden, brilliant against Chesterfield in his natural position in the center of the park but barker still says his best position is out wide, when it is quite clearly not. I know injuries have hampered things a lot, but it is still ot an excuse.

I have supported pompey for years and will continue to, but I cannot support the man in charge. Until he goes I wont be happy. We started off with a manager who was a great coach, but not management material. Now we have a manager who is neither and just slags his players off all the time. I cant blame them for not wanting to put the effort it, they are damed if they do and damed if they don't, could you honestly say you would give 100% at work if your boss slagged you off openly in front of everyone 4 days out of the week. I know I couldn't. Do us a favour Barker and pack your bags, the team would be doing a lot better with out you!!!!
Do you honestly think that they players aren't trying? And that they don't respect Barker? I just don't see that. I see a handful of players who aren't performing and probably trying a little but these are the same players who did this under Guy and were allowed to do it.

With regard to 442 or not I feel a little sorry for the bloke here, when he was playing 451 many said the football was boring and that we must play 442 (which isn't the right system for us) and they he gets a slating for doing that. The bloke cant win.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey1985 wrote:The bloke cant win.
And therein lays the problem :roll:
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:The bloke cant win.
And therein lays the problem :roll:
Boom tish...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

From the Ashes wrote: Barker's appointment was a mistake.
If it is then that's 2 out of 2. Not a great record for the board...
Pompey_Galactico
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey1985 wrote:
Pompey_Galactico wrote:I cant see why we ever went for RB, poor track record and he is tactically inept. I dont get to too many games as I work in hospitality so I work most weekends. But I did get to witness the debacle that was the Cheltenham game after all the promise of the Chesterfield game. We went 442 which was clearly not working, all game it was crying out for someone to control the midfield and take the game from there. Had RB bothered to open his eyes he would have seen that an extra midfielder would have helped anchor the middle completely and let us start supporting Jervis which we have not done for quite some time. This league needs a big strong defensive midfeilder to hold the center ground, allowing wide players to attack, the lone striker to stay in the box and 2 midfielders supporting. That is where your goals will come from, not playing 442 with some of the smallest players I have ever seen. We do not have much strength in the middle so we need numbers. Also why is our best passer of the ball Racon never played. He would have turned the Cheltenham game on its head. We need a creative force, Racon is that force, it could be wallace but he keeps playing him out wide. Same with fogden, brilliant against Chesterfield in his natural position in the center of the park but barker still says his best position is out wide, when it is quite clearly not. I know injuries have hampered things a lot, but it is still ot an excuse.

Do you honestly think that they players aren't trying? And that they don't respect Barker? I just don't see that. I see a handful of players who aren't performing and probably trying a little but these are the same players who did this under Guy and were allowed to do it.

With regard to 442 or not I feel a little sorry for the bloke here, when he was playing 451 many said the football was boring and that we must play 442 (which isn't the right system for us) and they he gets a slating for doing that. The bloke cant win.
I do think that is a big part of the problem. Barker has systematically told all the players they are rubbish, even his own signings. Constantly rollicking your players does not breed the confidence they need to win games. Yes some players underperformed with Guy, again it was a lack of leadership and poor managing. But at least they attacked and looked like they could score. With regards to the tactics you are right, but it is easy to make 451 a very attacking formation if deployed in the right way, somthing Barker does not do! While watching us play it is also very obvious we are not covering the basics in training, pass and move, pass into space ahead of the player to run onto, shorey does it for the simple fact he has played premiership football so he is used to it. I do not believe the basics can't be taught. We managed it when I played football on a saturday in the Cornwall leagues before my knees gave up! Every corner we defend there should be two players left up, jervis at the half way line, holmes/wallace mid way between the penalty area and half way across from where the corner is taken. This gives you your counter attack, something we do not do. I just do not understand how a profesional football manager can miss this sort of stuff and can't train basic movement. I could get this team up the league, so why cant he!!
Life is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it or trying to get a piece of it.

Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Pompey_Galactico wrote: I could get this team up the league, so why cant he!!
lol
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Agree with a lot of points made on this thread.

Unrealistic expectations from many fans (and media), whereas focus should've been on stopping things getting worse.

Damned if they do... Appointment re: Guy. Sentimentality and other poor reasons for long contracts (and sheer desperation - or did they act too quickly?) in dishing out the contracts. But then you look back at that spring day against Sheff United, and you can see what the power of the feel good & fan support can do in the *right* way.

Think mentally quite a few players not up to the tough challenge of:

a) Playing at Fratton - and it's unique set of pro's and con's - levels of expectation and pressure

b) Although not 'unique' - too many fans (IMHO) have took the "we own our own club" a step too far - and are holding players personally accountable - this shouldn't be happening. I appreciate we pay the money (and along the way, the wages), but it makes us different from the vast majority of clubs. This has given rise to the "I'm entitled to have a go at them".

FWIW, although I'm unsure on Barker - there definitely seems to be more effort from the players - which I felt was lacking under Guy. Also the defence (more often than not) seems improved. There are still tactical decisions (but then that would be the case barring having a team that won every week), that seem to baffle - but we don't know what knocks there are, or how the players have been in training (etc). So much is unknown.

Caitlin - I don't know (at all). He is CEO yet it can be perceived that he (seems) to hold too much influence - and RB may get things wrong, but *why* weren't contracts 'incentivised'?

Just hope that somehow, we stay up. Regroup. Sort out the management structure - possibly reconsider the roles of the board & CEO, and hope to Gawd that we keep the majority of the regular 15k who attend - they are so needed. But the vocal minority are holding a little too much power/making a lot of noise at the moment. To a degree I understand - with the threat of non-league football looming.

(just my 2 cents!)
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Pompey_Galactico
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey Gary wrote:
lol
Why the LOL PG??
It's down to man management and tactics, two things that barker is useless at! Just happens to be two things I am good at!!

Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Pompey_Galactico wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:
lol
Why the LOL PG??
It's down to man management and tactics, two things that barker is useless at! Just happens to be two things I am good at!!
It's just that I'm not sure your grounding in the Cornish amateur leagues would cut it in League 2. Are you're seriously saying you could lead a group of professionals playing in front of 15K supporters, handle the pressure of the media and succeed? It sounds to me you've had too many years playing Championship Manager and reality and fiction have long since merged.

I don't hold with the opinion that pros are beyond reproach from mere supporters but when the later start believing they could do a better job than the former it is pretty cringeworthy.
Pompey_Galactico
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey Gary wrote:
Pompey_Galactico wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:
lol
Why the LOL PG??
It's just that I'm not sure your grounding in the Cornish amateur leagues would cut it in League 2. Are you're seriously saying you could lead a group of professionals playing in front of 15K supporters, handle the pressure of the media and succeed? It sounds to me you've had too many years playing Championship Manager and reality and fiction have long since merged.

I don't hold with the opinion that pros are beyond reproach from mere supporters but when the later start believing they could do a better job than the former it is pretty cringeworthy.
Nothing to do with that. If you bothered to look down the leagues the level of football is not far off league 2. Yet to get any badges granted, but it happens I'm also a very good coach. A few bad injuries meant watching a lot of football from the sidines, where my body can't cut it, my mind makes up for it. I have coached and assisted a lot in my years in the game and have a lot to offer. As an out and out attacking player I know what to look for to defend against it and how to carve open a defense. Granted media preassure is something I have no experience in, but I have coached players who played within the lower leagues and they always listens. Man management is a skill few people have, luckily I am one of those few. It doesn't matter how much a player is paid, they are all human. It all comes down to how you talk and approach each individual player. Talk to them and prove you know how your ideas can help them and they will listen. Slate them continually and they will not listen and do the opposite.

Many managers have started out coaching in the lower leagues and even non league. So please do not be so ignorant by claiming my experience is down to championship manager when you know nothing of my experience and say my reality is blurred. That is just down right rude! Lastly, just to let you in on something, I happen to be very good friends with a couple of the senior staff at AFC Bournemouth. This allows me to attend their training sessions and have had some realy good chats with Eddie and how he looks at tactics to creat an advantage. I have learnt a lot from them over the last couple of seasons.

Plus looking at our progress this season, it would not be hard to make an improvement. I'm not saying I would win the league or even make the play offs with the same squad, all of us have been guilty of thinking we could make it but the squad is not quite good enough. But viewing the games I have, I know I could have picked up a few more points with the right tactical tweaks.

Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Pompey_Galactico wrote: Nothing to do with that. If you bothered to look down the leagues the level of football is not far off league 2. Yet to get any badges granted, but it happens I'm also a very good coach. A few bad injuries meant watching a lot of football from the sidines, where my body can't cut it, my mind makes up for it. I have coached and assisted a lot in my years in the game and have a lot to offer. As an out and out attacking player I know what to look for to defend against it and how to carve open a defense. Granted media preassure is something I have no experience in, but I have coached players who played within the lower leagues and they always listens. Man management is a skill few people have, luckily I am one of those few. It doesn't matter how much a player is paid, they are all human. It all comes down to how you talk and approach each individual player. Talk to them and prove you know how your ideas can help them and they will listen. Slate them continually and they will not listen and do the opposite.

Many managers have started out coaching in the lower leagues and even non league. So please do not be so ignorant by claiming my experience is down to championship manager when you know nothing of my experience and say my reality is blurred. That is just down right rude! Lastly, just to let you in on something, I happen to be very good friends with a couple of the senior staff at AFC Bournemouth. This allows me to attend their training sessions and have had some realy good chats with Eddie and how he looks at tactics to creat an advantage. I have learnt a lot from them over the last couple of seasons.

Plus looking at our progress this season, it would not be hard to make an improvement. I'm not saying I would win the league or even make the play offs with the same squad, all of us have been guilty of thinking we could make it but the squad is not quite good enough. But viewing the games I have, I know I could have picked up a few more points with the right tactical tweaks.
Never judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Even Barker has lead a League 2 side to promotion and managed in the next level up. I'm pretty sure that far outstrips your own experience. Still as I feel he is unlikely to see out the calander year in the Pompey hotseat I suggest you get ready to stick your cv in to the board. As a fan of the club I'm sure you wouldn't mind working pro bono and save them a bob or two.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Its not uncommon for teams not to leave players up top at set pieces. Chesterfield don't do it. We didn't do it under guy. We do do it under barker.

I have no problem with him giving these players a dressing down in public we don't know what is said to them behind closed doors. He doesn't know his best 11 I believe this is down to an imbalanced squad which he tried to address in Jan but this isn't the time to do it.

For me its not man management and if it is about public dressing downs its just goes to show he is right these players don't have the right charector. Guy appears to have bought in players to a similar mould of his own... A nice guy.

I expect a good performance at Rochdale and I don't think I'll be dissapointed but I don't expect us to pick anything up because they players just aren't good enough.