Not content with ruining stadium plans...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Not content with ruining stadium plans...

Post by Weybridge »

...the Brent Geese have killed off the Southsea Ferris Wheel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-37449052
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Not content with ruining stadium plans...

Post by past memories »

I wonder what happens when the New Carriers arrive, they`re much bigger than that wheel, with things rotating on the top. Only a couple of hundred yards away from the wheel site.
If they`re like the Destroyers, they`ll spend most of their time in dock.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I didn't realise that the Brent Geese had such poor eyesight that they couldn't see the dirty great big ferris wheel, and manage to avoid it.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

are they going to take down the spinnaker for the winter too ?????

I am an animal lover but this is just stupid, they are allegedly intelligent birds I am sure they can see a giant wheel in front of them
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I can completely understand the need to preserve existing wildlife and habitats but to halt good jobs, development and construction in an existing cityscape for geese....hardly an endangered species..... is just beyond my understanding. I'm going out back now to shoot a goose just for the hell of it. Its not a Brent, its a Canada...but wtf.....brb.......
Div III. Call it what it is.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Which party controls the City Council at present? (Not being pedantic, but I never know when the city elections occur over there nowadays - and I only came on to do the La La predictions this evening before the new Hawaii 5-0 series premiere, so can't be arsed to look it up :-) )
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

I think this is just a lame excuse by the operators to move the wheel , they have had an Independent report but are refusing to disclose it.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Absolutely Mick. The thing was not financially viable, mainly because you could go up the spinnaker tower for the same money, or up Portsdown Hill free. It's closure had little to do with Brent Geese.

Neither did the Farlington fiasco. It was called in by Johnny Twobrains, Havant MP, because the shopping development that went with it would have an adverse effect on businesses in Havant, after PCC had approved it. The Brent geese were blamed, but actually it was a somewhat dodgy MP protecting his constituents.

And for USPF, the city council is Conservative controlled.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

At the time of the Farlington Parkway stadium fiasco my Sunday League team had a Hampshire Cup Tie at Farlington against a team from Basingstoke. I was chatting to one of their club officials on the touch line about the plans. " Where exactly do they want to put the stadium?" he asked. "Over the back of that hedge " I replied and pointed to the proposed site. " And where are all the people who are objecting to it " he queried. " All the way over there " I said gesturing in the direction of the Havant Road through Drayton and Farlington. "Its got f**k all to do with them surely" was his reply.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

<dj.> wrote:Absolutely Mick. The thing was not financially viable, mainly because you could go up the spinnaker tower for the same money, or up Portsdown Hill free. It's closure had little to do with Brent Geese.

Neither did the Farlington fiasco. It was called in by Johnny Twobrains, Havant MP, because the shopping development that went with it would have an adverse effect on businesses in Havant, after PCC had approved it. The Brent geese were blamed, but actually it was a somewhat dodgy MP protecting his constituents.

And for USPF, the city council is Conservative controlled.
Cheers DJ for the political party reference..... I can never keep up with it, but would have criticized either one if it had been another crazy decision. I am happy to go along with Mick's thinking as it seems the more sensible answer - we'll just keep the geese as the blame for Farlington Stadium not going ahead :-)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.