Wimbledon - BFTG

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Wimbledon - BFTG

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Where to start. Pompey don't quite look lost at the moment but they are struggling to find any rhythm or establish a pattern of play. The play seems hesitate, very little anticipation of what each other are going to do - or when - there is some movement and running into channels and space but very often those runs are not being seen and this is stagnating Pompey's play.

ironically, Pompey's best period was the five or ten minutes after Curtis was brought on when he brought energy, imagination and drive to the left side of the field and then Pompey had an outlet and a talisman who was driving the team forward into dangerous places and suddenly the crowd came alive and the game seem there for the taking .....only for Wimbledon to win their game through their plan A. Cross the ball into the box from wide positions and look to hit no.39 who was proving a handful in the air.

Just a world on Wimbledon. organised, strong in defence but nothing to write home about. Their CF was fouling nearly all night and the ref let him get away with it. Whenever he was jumping to head the ball he was using a straightened arm to create space and to push defenders away (stiff arming) and was not using naturally for balance. Dirty player but canny in deploying the tactics subtlety. Burgess complained to the ref about it once in the first half and he took notice for about 5mins and then reverted to deploying a blind eye. Wimbledon's tactics was to get the ball crossed in for him to compete for it in the box and a long cross evaded everyone to give him a headed goal for the equaliser from about 6 yards. McGee did not come for the ball and had no chance from that range with a downward header. Equally Wimbledon had all day to cross in from the right for the winner and again a deep high cross was watched all the way by McGee before it hit Walkes (on his thigh or upper knee) and cannoned into the net. I had to think that it was a night for a keeper who would come and help his defenders getting mugged by their CF and catch a few crosses wherever possible.

Clarke was superb on the night and was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. The back four had a decent game as a unit but Walkes and Haunstrupp offer very little going forward. Naylor aids, well, nails in midfield and he is a strong disruptive force shielding the back four. The central midfield two of Evans and Close were poor I thought. offered industry but nothing in terms of creativity, Close in particular seemed hesitant and seemed to favour the simple sideways pass rather than having the confidence or desire to show vision and imagination with the ball. Timid.

Lowe offered some attacking intent from the left wide in the first half and the right wing in the second half when he switched with Wheeler. Ah Wheeler. Maybe he gets a pass because he only joined the team a week or so ago but he was very disappointing. He missed an open header towards the end of the first half from a cross that should have been a goal but he missed the target but aside from that I saw nothing from him. no pace, guile, drive, creativity, shooting. He looked like the game was taking place several post codes over from his location. He was equally ineffective on both wings and his performance was only made worse by the stark contrast made by Curtis when he came on.

Pittman looked interested but did not threaten. I didn't see him have an attempt on goal and he does not look capable of creating a chance on his own. When he was substituted and had left the field he was handed a training top and he threw it away in anger behind him ......and towards it seemed Kenny Jackett. I think there is something brewing behind the scenes and it would not surprise me if he left before the month is out.

Chaplin looked dull when he came on. Not on form and not much interested perhaps. Hawkins was trying to lead the line and win headers from the wrong side of the centre half. Strange, very strange and not surprisingly it didn't work.

Poor fare to be honest, it can get better but Pompey need someone in central midfield alongside Naylor who is willing to play a pass and see a run and the supporting players need to be making runs and showing for the ball. Curtis and Lowe look like they have something but the strikers are blunt and pace less. There was nothing threatening or exciting or pacey on show from Pompey in the final third tonight. Solid but unspectacular. Early days though - hopefully!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Wimbledon - BFTG

Post by Selsey Bill »

Couldn't make the game last night due to work commitments from myself and sons so thank you for this - very enlightening, but hardly surprising having watched our first two league games. The first thing I gleaned from your report is that we obviously missed Craig MacGillavray in goal. It's obvious what a notch up from McGee he is, and by the sounds of your report, he would have made a difference. As for Matt Clarke, one of my best mates, a Wimbledon follower home and away, agreed with you that he was comfortably the best player on the pitch. With Whatmough along side him, and Thompson and Brown/Donohue at FBs, and MacGillavray behind, I'm actually happy with the set up of our defence. Our main issues are in defensive and creative midfield, something Kenny needs to sort soon. Our two most creative and exciting players are undoubtedly Curtis and Lowe. Without them in the team we would be VERY boring to watch. As a matter of interest, I wonder why KJ didn't take last night as the opportunity to give Louis Dennis a run out? Added to that, whilst your report on Wheeler wasn't very positive, I do think he will come good once he has had time on and off the pitch. With regards to Pitman, he needs to start finding the net PDQ. If he has fallen out with KJ that would be a great shame, but hopefully he is just frustrated with his own performances. he undoubtedly has more talent in his little toe than some of our other players. The sooner we get Chaplin out on loan (with a suitable replacement) the better IMHO. Finally, on the subject of Pitman and Evans, I personally think KJ made a big mistake making them captain and vice captain very early last season. Neither are natural leaders on or off the pitch, in fact I'd go as far as to say that Pitman is a woeful captain. Anyway, onwards and upwards to Saturday against bottom of the league (with nil points) Oxford United. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I can't help but think we probably need rid of Pitman and Chaplin on current showing... Or Jackett.

I've never been a fan of Jackett or the type of football he is getting us to play - it's beyond boring.

I feel we have over the summer failed to address our two main problem areas (out of 4). In that we needed a forward and a decent midfielder.

Fingers crossed we have some loans lined up.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:I can't help but think we probably need rid of Pitman and Chaplin on current showing... Or Jackett.

I've never been a fan of Jackett or the type of football he is getting us to play - it's beyond boring.

I feel we have over the summer failed to address our two main problem areas (out of 4). In that we needed a forward and a decent midfielder.

Fingers crossed we have some loans lined up.
Agree with all of that. The warning signs were there with Jackett for me when he let Kyle Bennett go last season. However, he's brought in Curtis and Wheeler who are both flair players so he must have one eye on trying to play decent football, surely?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Thanks for the excellent report JT.

I am slightly surprised that Louis Dennis has been given so little game time so far this season, especially as it was KJ who signed him - is he fully fit? Maybe he will appear in the Checkatrade.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

It's pitchforks at dawn for Jackett if he doesn't provide us with something to watch....
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Selsey Bill wrote:Couldn't make the game last night due to work commitments from myself and sons so thank you for this - very enlightening, but hardly surprising having watched our first two league games. The first thing I gleaned from your report is that we obviously missed Craig MacGillavray in goal. It's obvious what a notch up from McGee he is, and by the sounds of your report, he would have made a difference. As for Matt Clarke, one of my best mates, a Wimbledon follower home and away, agreed with you that he was comfortably the best player on the pitch. With Whatmough along side him, and Thompson and Brown/Donohue at FBs, and MacGillavray behind, I'm actually happy with the set up of our defence. Our main issues are in defensive and creative midfield, something Kenny needs to sort soon. Our two most creative and exciting players are undoubtedly Curtis and Lowe. Without them in the team we would be VERY boring to watch. As a matter of interest, I wonder why KJ didn't take last night as the opportunity to give Louis Dennis a run out? Added to that, whilst your report on Wheeler wasn't very positive, I do think he will come good once he has had time on and off the pitch. With regards to Pitman, he needs to start finding the net PDQ. If he has fallen out with KJ that would be a great shame, but hopefully he is just frustrated with his own performances. he undoubtedly has more talent in his little toe than some of our other players. The sooner we get Chaplin out on loan (with a suitable replacement) the better IMHO. Finally, on the subject of Pitman and Evans, I personally think KJ made a big mistake making them captain and vice captain very early last season. Neither are natural leaders on or off the pitch, in fact I'd go as far as to say that Pitman is a woeful captain. Anyway, onwards and upwards to Saturday against bottom of the league (with nil points) Oxford United. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:
interesting because I didn't see the first two league games. I don't get to go to many games. I can see what KJ is doing to get a firm defensive base to work from but I think the pendulum may have swung too far to the defensive side and the team desperately needs someone to pull the strings from central mid and either an experienced striker who can play with his back to goal and link up play and give Pompey a foundation to play from in the final third linking up midfield and attack or a pacey no.9 to pull defences apart.

What we have now is a solid saloon family car that will get you from A to B safely and relatively cheaply but is gutless under the bonnet and is overall a little uninspiring. Can't see this team getting relegated.....can't see them making the playoffs either playing like that! Curtis is a find though and its still only mid August.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Berkshire Blue wrote:Thanks for the excellent report JT.

I am slightly surprised that Louis Dennis has been given so little game time so far this season, especially as it was KJ who signed him - is he fully fit? Maybe he will appear in the Checkatrade.
me too. It seemed an ideal opportunity to play him in behind Pittman last night and I do think a 4-2-3-1 formation would work with Curtis to the left and Lowe to the right of a no.10 linking up play. Maybe Dennis is struggling with the step up in training and he needs more time.

Its not as if he is a young 22 year old however so if he plays in the Checkatrade won't he count as one of the over 23 year olds?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Jack_Tinn wrote:
Berkshire Blue wrote:Thanks for the excellent report JT.

me too. It seemed an ideal opportunity to play him in behind Pittman last night and I do think a 4-2-3-1 formation would work with Curtis to the left and Lowe to the right of a no.10 linking up play. Maybe Dennis is struggling with the step up in training and he needs more time.

Its not as if he is a young 22 year old however so if he plays in the Checkatrade won't he count as one of the over 23 year olds?
Isn't it only the Premier sides who have to play young teams?
Melbourne Graham
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Melbourne Graham »

Whilst agreeing with some of the above comments We are undefeated in the league and in 5th place, early days I know but at least give the new players 8/10 games to gel. Good teams are those that can win or draw whilst not playing at their best which applies to both games played so far. Luton especially. The club met the asking price but the club refused to let us speak to the player not KJs fault in that instance. I Follow coverage much better this year but still only 1 camera and no goal replays so improvement needed.