Oxford game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Oxford game

Post by streetrifle »

With some concerns arising, I'm approaching this game with a bit more trepidation after the Wimbledon defeat in midweek. In no particular order: the Rose situation is worrying with Jackett showing reluctance to play him as he did last season. Rose has shown himself to be a creative and also hard-working midfielder who covers a lot of ground, is competitive and has a lot of skill for this division. Tuesday night would have been a good time to introduce him. What is Jackett's problem with Rose??
Jackett introduced Walkes as right back on Tuesday night, having said in the summer that he saw him as a defensive midfielder in a 4-4-2 set-up. I simply don't rate him as a right back and he's clearly not happy there. I would be seriously worried if he was to deputise for Thompson. I would even prefer Evans there although he's not suited to the position.
This championing of Hawkins by Jackett worries me because firstly it heralds introduction of the long-ball game. Despite his surprising display at Blackpool I am unconvinced by Hawkins in the air. He wins few headers and his timing is all over the place. I am not that convinced by his skill on the ground either.
I just hope that Jackett fixes on his best team and the set-up he wants to use as early in the season as possible and doesn't like last season chop and change the team and the formations for most of the season.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Oxford game

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

The thing that mildly irritates me is that as the manager of PFC, you ought to have all yer bits and pieces in place and be ready to hit the ground running by game 1 and it seems to me like we are still at game 3 of the pre season.
As one of the big dogs money wise in this league we should have a better scouting system than most, more financial clout than most, should have the upper hand in negotiating with players we want to retain / loan or purchase so we should be able to speed up deals.
We don't seem to have any loan agreements with clubs such as Brighton or Bournemouth who must have reserves that need playing time in competition.
Also, KJ'S comments on player fitness and the comments from the player that moved on last season (name escapes me) ie we spend all training sessions practicing deadball situations (ok...slight exaggeration) is concerning.
The back from the game comments usually highlight the same old same old issues. Lack of fitness / players played out of position / hoofball / lack of a dominant midfielder / not as organized as the opposition and good players that seem to disappear from the teamsheet for no obvious reason..

There just seems to be a lack of consistency about the place.
Div III. Call it what it is.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Bit depressing all this. Someone cheer us up. :lol: :lol:
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

McGilvery to score when their keeper thinks Hawkins will actually head the ball, it turns into a dummy (or a thinly veiled one as Hawkins misses yet again). Consequently it turns into a comedy goal and we win 1-0 because Jackett has not played Curtiss as punishment for scoring two at Blackpool.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

New Forester wrote:Bit depressing all this. Someone cheer us up. :lol: :lol:
KJ has addressed the glaring weakness in the team - a keeper to take command of his area and some experience in the back four and midfield with the signing of McG, Brown and Naylor. The focus has been on making Pompey a tougher proposition to break down and a team more likely to finish in the playoffs.

KJ is seeking to establish that strong foundation and he has it. Its not his fault that Eisa did not join but the club have signalled intent by meeting the £1.5m valuation and KJ will keep on looking until the right option is found. He knows that he needs to find some added creativity and pace to the attack and now that the defensive pieces have been slotted in that will be the sole focus.

So far the team is 2/2 in the league! Oxford also have a 100% record but of another kind. Pompey have firepower in Pittman, Curtis, Chapln, Lowe and Curtis.

Its only 18th August. Nothing is won in August and the loan window is open for another two weeks yet.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

oh, and the video board / jumbotron is nice

saints are average at best and have put all their hopes on a couple of strikers with dodgy knees and horrific history of being injured.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

It's a lovely morning, there's football at FP and I have found enough money down the back of the sofa to buy the new black third strip today.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Greetings from Maun in northern Botswana. Have been without any signal for the last week so have appreciated the bftg reports now that I have a signal.

Will be at J’burg airport for the Oxford game today and able to follow the BBC text commentary. Unfortunately I ifollow usually works for only a few seconds. The News website has som good insights but is very slow and disjointed.

Looking forward to a good win today. PUP
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote:It's a lovely morning, there's football at FP and I have found enough money down the back of the sofa to buy the new black third strip today.
Love it :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Four One

we do like that scoreline
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

For heaven's sake: only 4 - 1 and stats show Oxford had one shot on target.

Thank God that I'm in Cornwall and missed the match. We have no attack and the defence is obviously carp.

I blame the manager - Jackett out!
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

3 wins out of 3 . 7 goals scored and only 2 conceded (and we've scored both of those !!) . And our 25 goal striker hasn't notched at all yet.

This Jackett fellow doesn't know what he's doing surely ??????
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

I have cheered up. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll leave the match analysis to more learned colleagues. Thoroughly enjoyed the game today. And I bet Ben Thompson sleeps well tonight. A great debut, MOM and he now knows what great supporters we are. It was good to meet Selsey Bill. I'll look forward to his match review.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

New Forester wrote: It was good to meet Selsey Bill. I'll look forward to his match review.
No pressure there! Just home so going to knock up some food and will then sharpen my pencil. Great to meet you too, and very good of you to make yourself known to me. How on earth did you know it was me???
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Selsey Bill wrote:
New Forester wrote: It was good to meet Selsey Bill. I'll look forward to his match review.
No pressure there! Just home so going to knock up some food and will then sharpen my pencil. Great to meet you too, and very good of you to make yourself known to me. How on earth did you know it was me???
I have a good memory.

“Great story. You must be almost my neighbour now. My boys and I are also in NSE, but in Row E, right on the half way line. In fact a couple of them are white, making up the F in PFC.

Love our seats, unless the heavens open with a south westerly blowing!”