Nose Bleed Time

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Nose Bleed Time

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

It's a funny old game!
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Re: Nose Bleed Time

Post by ... and chips »

#invincibleseason
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

... and chips wrote:#invincibleseason
#LOL
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

maybe it should be HMS Invincible Season
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Bad news... I'm going Saturday.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Pompey1985 wrote:Bad news... I'm going Saturday.
# :rofl
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

In all seriousness, given some of the BFTG reports (not been, not seen so can't comment), would it be fair to say that our present lofty position seems a little undeserved?
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:In all seriousness, given some of the BFTG reports (not been, not seen so can't comment), would it be fair to say that our present lofty position seems a little undeserved?
Think we can say we've definitely needed to have two amazing centre backs and an extremely competent 'keeper at times!
For long periods we seem to be unable to get possession but those defensive qualities mean we can hang on until the opposition go dead and then we start to play again.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

After the first two 'lucky ugly wins' , have the last two matches seen better symmetry within the team and did it take time to gel? Or, were the opponents in all 4 games from the lower echelons of the division?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

uspompeyfan wrote:After the first two 'lucky ugly wins' , have the last two matches seen better symmetry within the team and did it take time to gel? Or, were the opponents in all 4 games from the lower echelons of the division?
Lower than Pompey, obviously! ;-)
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well, well.....4 from 4 and an 87th minute winner away.
Didn't listen in and with no bftg as yet I've only got the stats (FACTS) which suggest we were second best......still 4 from 4 and winning when we perhaps should not.
Maybe its our year this year.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Not sure it matters if you win ugly or win lucky, at the end of the day the table shows the same data. We have lost plenty of times after playing well, sometimes it’s just your turn in the barrel.

The thing is, the wins will build momentum and confidence in the team, and also the crowd.

PUP
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:In all seriousness, given some of the BFTG reports (not been, not seen so can't comment), would it be fair to say that our present lofty position seems a little undeserved?
I was at the first three games, but couldn't get to last night's. In answer to your question though Sherl, we definitely did not deserve to win against Luton. On the other hand, we definitely deserved to beat both Blackpool and Oxford. We were far the better team in both those games. I can't comment on last night's game as I wasn't there.

What I can tell you is that we have a far stronger squad than we had last season. The biggest difference for me has been our new goalkeeper, MacGillivray. He is more than just a notch up from McGee and could easily play in the championship. The difference he alone has made to our back four is plain to see. He even makes me feel confident sitting in the stands. Also, Whatmough and Clarke must be one of, if not the best pairings at centre back in League 1 so we are not going to concede as many goals. In fact, the only league goals we have conceded so far in open play have been own goals, and by their pure nature, they're usually harder to keep out! Walkes does a job at RB, but I'll be happier to see Nathan Thompson back in there. Lee Brown is a wily, tough old character, and whilst not in the league of Enda Stevens, wont let you down. Naylor is also a vast improvement, and growing in stature with each game, and as you've probably read, Ben Thompson is a fantastic player. Then, further up field we have two of the rising stars in lower league football in my opinion, Curtis and Lowe. Both of them are exciting to watch, boundless in energy, and brimming with confidence. What's more, both have already proved they know how to score, having amassed 3 league goals each already. Highly reassuring when last season's 25 goals scorer isn't yet firing. On the subject of strikers. Ollie Hawkins has also been a revelation, especially in his hold up play and tenacity to win the ball. Whilst he hasn't found the back of the net yet himself, he has played a big hand with a good percentage of our goals, including last night's opener against The Gas. I'm also not quite sure what has happened to Gareth Evans. His performance for us last Saturday was the best for us in a long while, and apparently that form continued last night. Whether it is a slight change in his positioning on the pitch, or a confidence or fitness issue, long may it continue as I've always liked our Blue. And then you look to the bench and you can bring on the likes of Pitman, a game changer as he proved last night, playing a part in our winner. In closing, there's a steely resilience to our current squad that I felt was missing last season. We would have almost certainly lost last night's game last season. So, in answer to your question, no I don't think it is undeserved, more a touch fortunate perhaps? PUP
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote:I'm also not quite sure what has happened to Gareth Evans. His performance for us last Saturday was the best for us in a long while, and apparently that form continued last night. Whether it is a slight change in his positioning on the pitch, or a confidence or fitness issue, long may it continue as I've always liked our Blue.
Gareth Evans has had an odd Portsmouth career so far. He came as a RMF, where he was quick but not a great crosser, and looked best when he drifted into the middle and he scored about a goal every four games, which is excellent for that role. Then he played most of a season at RB out of necessity, where he wasn't totally happy, but it was playing time in a champion team. Last year he wasn't obvious first choice, but got reasonable playing time in various positions as Jackett dabbled, although he never had a set role and got moved about even within games as yet another RB got injured.

Evans might not seem the most obvious candidate for the No.10 role, but he works hard, is fit and quick (pace is not something we have in abundance) and can rotate round with the DMF players, is strong enough to mix it a bit with an opposition DMF, good in the air and will get some goals. This is something relatively new for him and I hope it works out as Evans as been a good honest player for Pompey who has done what is required without complaint.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:I'm also not quite sure what has happened to Gareth Evans. His performance for us last Saturday was the best for us in a long while, and apparently that form continued last night. Whether it is a slight change in his positioning on the pitch, or a confidence or fitness issue, long may it continue as I've always liked our Blue.
Gareth Evans has had an odd Portsmouth career so far. He came as a RMF, where he was quick but not a great crosser, and looked best when he drifted into the middle and he scored about a goal every four games, which is excellent for that role. Then he played most of a season at RB out of necessity, where he wasn't totally happy, but it was playing time in a champion team. Last year he wasn't obvious first choice, but got reasonable playing time in various positions as Jackett dabbled, although he never had a set role and got moved about even within games as yet another RB got injured.

Evans might not seem the most obvious candidate for the No.10 role, but he works hard, is fit and quick (pace is not something we have in abundance) and can rotate round with the DMF players, is strong enough to mix it a bit with an opposition DMF, good in the air and will get some goals. This is something relatively new for him and I hope it works out as Evans as been a good honest player for Pompey who has done what is required without complaint.
Evans is playing the best he's ever played at the moment so I'm in agreement there. That strike for the goal was as clean as you like.
Not sure I agree with you when you say "pace is not something we have in abundance" because Curtis, Lowe and Evans all have oodles of pace and most sides don't boast more than 3 players in their team that are notably fast.....not in this division anyway.
Can't wait to see how Nathan Thompson fits in to the side.....Walkes has done a job but I feel Nathan is just a bit cleverer at keeping tabs on his man and a bit less likely to give the ball away cheaply.
Oh, and Pitman, please.....not Hawkins!
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.