Loan Arrival.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Loan Arrival.

Post by Pompey1985 »

Winger from Villa tomorrow - Andre Green.

Seems odd getting another winger especially when we have Wheeler already who didn't get a look in Saturday.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Loan Arrival.

Post by Jack_Tinn »

can play as a no.10 so perhaps he plays there and interchanges with Lowe and Curtis in a 4-2-3-1, which I still think is KJ's preferred system.

Evans is serviceable in the middle of the three but its not his strongest position - which is wide right.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

apparently Bolton and Norwich wanted him on loan in the Championship and is considered a real talent. There was a rumour apparently that them up the road where considering purchasing him in the summer.

on loan initially until January with a view to extending it to a season long loan accordingly to Bruce.

He is working on his finishing but is targeting double figures in goals and assists this season. Could be what we need to provide creativity and firepower and linking Naylor and Thompson with the attack.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Villa fans are not happy about loaning Green to Pompey. Surely a good sign that he is a young talent.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/08/blogs/ ... to-pompey/
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I'd be interested to know what the terms are for these loan arrangements. Presumably we pay the wages but would there be other payments?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

The arrival of Andre Green is intriguing particularly as he appears to be the most highly rated of our loanees, and his loan has so upset the Villa fans. If he is only here until January initially then he has to start and that begs the question who will make way for him - Lowe (surely not), Curtis (surely not), so it looks like Evans with Gray playing as No 10. That may not make the best use of Gray however as he appears to be a wide man essentially.
Where does that leave the other loanee David Wheeler? Surely QPR would not be too happy if he was stuck on the bench. The same goes for Dennis probably but he is a permanent signing so could bide his time.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I have only been able to see one game live, but as a long shot, Curtis looked like a potential centre forward to me. He is fast, jumps well, knows where the goal is and certainly has the aggression required! Having said that, he has played well off Hawkins, feeding off the flick ons. 4 4 2 anyone?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Jack_Tinn wrote:Villa fans are not happy about loaning Green to Pompey. Surely a good sign that he is a young talent.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/08/blogs/ ... to-pompey/
First thing I always do is check what fans from the club he's at are saying about him on social media. Their reaction alone tells me enough - think we've got a good one, at least until January.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Berkshire Blue wrote:I have only been able to see one game live, but as a long shot, Curtis looked like a potential centre forward to me. He is fast, jumps well, knows where the goal is and certainly has the aggression required! Having said that, he has played well off Hawkins, feeding off the flick ons. 4 4 2 anyone?
No, no and thrice no. I assume that the one game you saw wasn't home to Luton. 4-4-2 was absolutely taken apart as Luton players easily found gaps between the lines. We can't afford half-a-dozen games learning how to play it properly (if there is such a thing with the players we have).
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Berkshire Blue wrote:I have only been able to see one game live, but as a long shot, Curtis looked like a potential centre forward to me. He is fast, jumps well, knows where the goal is and certainly has the aggression required! Having said that, he has played well off Hawkins, feeding off the flick ons. 4 4 2 anyone?
No, no and thrice no. I assume that the one game you saw wasn't home to Luton. 4-4-2 was absolutely taken apart as Luton players easily found gaps between the lines. We can't afford half-a-dozen games learning how to play it properly (if there is such a thing with the players we have).
Funnily enough it was the Luton game, and yes we were completely dominated in midfield that day. Having said that I saw us being dominated in midfield a number of times last year when we were playing different systems. Sometimes I wonder exactly what all the formations really mean and how much difference there really is between some of them. For instance when does 4 3 3 become 4 5 1 or 4 2 3 1 etc. If you play 4 4 2 and the support striker drops off a lot does it become 4 5 1 or 4 4 1 1? Would you agree that in the end it is mainly down to the quality of the players in midfield, and whether at least one of them can get on the ball and dictate play?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

It is now on the official site that Andre Green has arrived on loan.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Post by Portchesterblue1 »

Curtis preferred position is through the middle as either a 9 or 10, so green could play wide and Curtis moves inside
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

It says "Season Long" Loan!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Chaplin to sign for Coventry on loan till January tomorrow and a fee owed in Jan.

I think it's very telling that he isn't off to a club higher up the pecking order... Suggests somewhat that perhaps multiple managers know more than the terrace.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Portchesterblue1 wrote:Curtis preferred position is through the middle as either a 9 or 10, so green could play wide and Curtis moves inside
Seems like Curtis is a bit of a goalscorer and no mug in the air so I think you could be right.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.