Plymouth

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Plymouth

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Just to get things going, I thought that we were excellent yesterday. Apart from the end of the first half after Hawkins went off and the beginning of the second half we bossed the game and looked very strong.

I thought that we were good across the board, but Clarke, Lowe and Curtis were excellent, as was Hawkins, who was a revelation until his injury. Their defenders must have breathed a sigh of relief when he went off, because they just couldn't cope with him.

The only downside was the injuries to Hawkins, Walkes and Whatmough - I hope that they are not too serious. I have to say that when Jack went down awkwardly out near the touchline I feared for his knee, but luckily that does not seem to be the problem.

All this and three new signings waiting to play - happy days!

To slightly put things into perspective, Plymouth were pretty dire - although maybe we just made them look that way. I know that they have a history of going on winning runs later in the season, but if they do it this time their manager will deserve a good bonus!
JenniTalia
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Plymouth

Post by JenniTalia »

Well according to the Plymouth manager they should of been awarded 3 penalties in the first half!
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home. – Aboriginal proverb.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

JenniTalia wrote:Well according to the Plymouth manager they should of been awarded 3 penalties in the first half!
Surprise Surprise!

Actually I thought that they did have at least one reasonable shout, but generally we were all over them.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

My first visit of the new season: an enjoyable game with an impressive win.

Several quick observations.

First, I was really impressed by the speed of both Curtis and Lowe. But even more pleased to see that they seemed to have better midfield support - yesterday at least.

It is my impression that our defence has often been good recently - Clarke, Watmough, MacGiilivray, etc. But the midfield has been lacking. If correct, then this is quite a change

Second, Fratton Park has been helped by the general quality of the ground improvements. I particularly liked the new Jumbotron screen: not only its size but also the way that it was being actively managed to show replays, etc.

Third, I'm not close to what happens off the pitch. But the progress of players like Lowe and Hawkins suggests to me that the PFC coaching must be good. Both players (and others) have significantly improved since I last saw them. I suggest that this improvement will not just be about tactics but also about individual coaching.

It's still early in the season but we're looking good at present. PUP
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

thanks for the incites. Really interesting.

I would add to your comment about coaching that the scouting team needs some love too I feel.

the team that decided to sign the new KeeperL McG, Naylor, Brown as free transfers deserves a pat on the back and then there is Curtis. Can we find another couple like him please!! Irish U21 yes but he looks like a player! They then add to that with loans for Thompson from Millwall and Green from Villa (who we have not seen play but sounds like a player considering the uproar from the villa fans when we signed him!).

Mason is a bit of a bonus for me but I guess he'll get his chance to re-establish his career and was considered to be a £3m player only a few years back.

Really impressive window and it really sets up the squad now to sustain success. For example Curtis is on international duty next Sat vs Shrewsbury but you'd think that Green would come into the team and Wheeler adds cover.

Pompey paid out fees for Curtis, Walkes and Dennis but you'd hope that the fees were quite small for all three. Amazingly Pompey recouped £1m plus from the same window with the sell on fee for Webster and £0.5m for Chaplin. You'd think that Pompey have roughly £1m to invest if necessary in the January window.

I'd really like to see Green in a no.10 role with Curtis left and Lowe right but Evans is playing so well right now you'd expect him to retain his place.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Curtis being called up for the U21 means an easy decision for Jackett next serious match v Shrews with Green champing at the bit. No need to worry about who to leave out to give the Villa loanee a chance.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Thought the only player that didn't perform was Walkes, not confident with him at Right Back/anywhere to be honest.
Vince
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Earl Grey wrote:Curtis being called up for the U21 means an easy decision for Jackett next serious match v Shrews with Green champing at the bit. No need to worry about who to leave out to give the Villa loanee a chance.
The really interesting selection choice will be the following weekend.

Curtis will be back but we have what is potentially a tough game - away to the current league leaders, Peterborough. Jack Whatmough and Olly Hawkins should also be fit by then.

Arguably one of several selection headaches for KJ on 15th September!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante