Getting to Fratton Park by car. HELP!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Getting to Fratton Park by car. HELP!

Post by New Forester »

I normally catch a train from Brockenhurst. It’s an easy journey. No problems with you know who while I wait to change trains at you know where.
There was a guards strike yesterday. I wouldn’t have got home until after 8pm so I drove over. Took the M27 which becomes the A27 to the Eastern Road exit. I’d booked a private space for my car in Mariners Walk, arrived there at 12.45 and walked to the ground along Warren Avenue and Priory Crescent. It was a 10 minute walk. After the match I was in my car at 5.10pm and home by 6.10pm. A good result. As I walked along Warren Avenue, there were a lot of parking spaces until I got closer to Milton Road.
More strikes are planned so I’ll be driving to the next two home matches at least unless they reach a deal.
I could repeat yesterday’s plan, arriving at the same time and parking in Warren Avenue. Or book the same space and arrive much later. But I have no idea what traffic conditions are like nearer 3pm either via the Eastern Road or the other two main roads into the central area of the City. Nor do I know of other car parking within no more than 10 minutes walk from the ground.
I’m not wild about the prospect of coming regularly by car but would be interested if I discover a bit more from anyone who has local knowledge to share.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Getting to Fratton Park by car. HELP!

Post by Sam_Brown »

Always come from the midlands by car and park on Bransbury Road. Little bit further but never had an issue finding a space.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

My rule of thumb for driving into Portsmouth on match days, is Eastern road starts getting busy by about 1. From about half 1 / 2 ish you'll be queuing as early as Morrisons.

Get there early, park up and enjoy a quiet drink somewhere if you have to. There will be parking spaces (somewhere) if you're in the area by 1ish.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I used to fight my way down Eastern Road and park in the academy opposite St Marys, as long as I was there at least an hour before KO. Then struggle back up Eastern road after the game.

Now I park at Havant Station, catch the train to Fratton, and all the stress has gone. There are trains from Southern and South Western going through Havant, so hopefully at least some of them will always be running. The only slight annoyance is that the train back to Havant can be crowded, but there is always another less crowded one in a few minutes.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

New Forester wrote:I normally catch a train from Brockenhurst. It’s an easy journey. No problems with you know who while I wait to change trains at you know where.
There was a guards strike yesterday. I wouldn’t have got home until after 8pm so I drove over. Took the M27 which becomes the A27 to the Eastern Road exit. I’d booked a private space for my car in Mariners Walk, arrived there at 12.45 and walked to the ground along Warren Avenue and Priory Crescent. It was a 10 minute walk. After the match I was in my car at 5.10pm and home by 6.10pm. A good result. As I walked along Warren Avenue, there were a lot of parking spaces until I got closer to Milton Road.
More strikes are planned so I’ll be driving to the next two home matches at least unless they reach a deal.
I could repeat yesterday’s plan, arriving at the same time and parking in Warren Avenue. Or book the same space and arrive much later. But I have no idea what traffic conditions are like nearer 3pm either via the Eastern Road or the other two main roads into the central area of the City. Nor do I know of other car parking within no more than 10 minutes walk from the ground.
I’m not wild about the prospect of coming regularly by car but would be interested if I discover a bit more from anyone who has local knowledge to share.
Its a bl**dy nightmare!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I've been driving to FP more or less since I passed my test in 79, No more unless a strike or I have to be home early. I live in L-o-S & we've taken to getting the X5 bus to Gosport, ferry & then jump on whatever available train there is. As someone else said its stress free. Whereas before we were hitting the M275 about 12.30 & grinding to a immediate halt. Sometimes taking me 1 1/4 from leaving home to getting parked which frankly is ridiculous.
The big bonus is I now get to have a drink. :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

The time table during the strike has me waiting until until 17.40 for a slow train to Southampton. Then a 50 minute wait for another slow train to Brockenhurst arriving at about 20.00 then a 10 minute drive home. After the match it wasn’t too bad up the Eastern Road. Being home shortly after 6pm was quite a novelty. When the strikes are over though there’s no way I’d drive. Apart from anything else I never forget the risks of driving. And with an old timers railcard I get a return for £9.10. At 29 mpg petrol costs me about £18. Roll on a resolution of the guards dispute.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

After my 4th match to which I’ve driven during the guards strikes I’m having second thoughts. Arriving before 12.30 I’m parking within a short walk of the ground. I’m out on the Eastern Road around 5pm and home in about an hour. I’m not hanging around on drafty platforms and can listen to the radio while I’m driving. At least I’m happy that train problems won’t put me off getting to matches in future.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Also I park in an industrial estate at the top of Warren Avenue and , for various reasons, the last two home games I've not left home until 20 past 2 but have still been able to park and get to the ground just in time for the minutes silence