Serena Williams

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Serena Williams

Post by Portchesterblue1 »

Sexist umpire??? Really ??? He gave you a code violation for being coached, smashing a racket and verbally abusing an umpire just because your a woman? What a sore loser. The big loser was Osaka who outplayed her and should be celebrating her first grand slam win, but yet every one has forgotten her because of Williams hissy fit
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Serena Williams

Post by past memories »

She has form.

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

I actually agree with Serena to some extent.....I've seen umpires pretty heavily abused by men and not getting docked a whole game. But she doesn't help herself by acting like a child. I think the umpire and Williams would both have handled the game differently had they been given another chance.

But the tournament has had a couple of other controversial incidents:
There was the incident where Nick Kyrgios was losing the plot and displaying an overt lack of sportsmanship by 'tanking' so the umpire jumped down off his chair and talked him down calmly into getting himself together so he, the umpire, didn't have to act. Kyrgios went on to win.
And there was the incident where the French girl Alize Cornet got a code violation for changing her shirt on court.....absolutely crazy....that umpire should be given a good metaphorical kicking.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

To be fair, if I was given an eyeful of this on court, I wouldn't complain.

Earl Grey wrote:I actually agree with Serena to some extent.....I've seen umpires pretty heavily abused by men and not getting docked a whole game. But she doesn't help herself by acting like a child. I think the umpire and Williams would both have handled the game differently had they been given another chance.

But the tournament has had a couple of other controversial incidents:
There was the incident where Nick Kyrgios was losing the plot and displaying an overt lack of sportsmanship by 'tanking' so the umpire jumped down off his chair and talked him down calmly into getting himself together so he, the umpire, didn't have to act. Kyrgios went on to win.
And there was the incident where the French girl Alize Cornet got a code violation for changing her shirt on court.....absolutely crazy....that umpire should be given a good metaphorical kicking.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Portchesterblue1
Robbie Pethick

Post by Portchesterblue1 »

I would imagine that had she not carried on the rant he may have not gone further. She called him a liar then told him not to speak to her if he wasn't going to apologise and then carried on with the rant.
If a man had done all the things she did on court we wouldn't be talking about it, but she has made a big deal of being told off for doing something wrong, people are now even using the racism as well as the sexism card
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Portchesterblue1 wrote:I would imagine that had she not carried on the rant he may have not gone further. She called him a liar then told him not to speak to her if he wasn't going to apologise and then carried on with the rant.
If a man had done all the things she did on court we wouldn't be talking about it, but she has made a big deal of being told off for doing something wrong, people are now even using the racism as well as the sexism card
Yes.....love the racism slant. By flashing the racism card they're shooting themselves in the foot because if the umpire WAS racist then why should he care as both players are non-white. Ooh....hang on....the one he 'helped' isn't quite as dark-skinned as Serena so defo an act of racism....lol.

This is where identity politics breaks down because you have to play a tortuous game of twister to justify racism when two non-white races have an issue.....or two minority religions are in conflict....or a gay and a trans are the issue. Where, for instance, do atheists fit in the league table of oppressed people? Where does a white muslim fit? What about a black jew? It's so f'ing crazy.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Yeah...bit of light entertainment really innit?

Serena blew up and was correctly treated by the ump. If there is a feminist card to play, well, play it after the match. maybe there is something to this....can't say I follow tennis enough to know.
As for the racism card, well, to be fair to Serena, she certainly didn't play it and therefore, internet outrage commentary is barely worth comment.

All that said, none of it was anywhere near as entertaining as the days of John McEnroe!!
Div III. Call it what it is.
Rocketman
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rocketman »

SW is probably the greatest female tennis player ever. But I don't care whether she is black, white or sky blue pink, her behaviour at the US Open was a total disgrace; a disgrace to sport, to tennis, and to decent talented female athletes the world around. Contrast her appalling behaviour to the number 1 cricket nation in the world, India, who have just lost 4-1 to England - they were unlucky to lose the toss all 5 times, they could have won at least two of the tests, they just lost in one of the most memorable tests of all time, but in defeat they were magnanimous, a credit to all sport and sportsmanship. SR should watch and learn instead of blaming everyone else when she loses.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

RichardHoldaway wrote:SW is probably the greatest female tennis player ever. But I don't care whether she is black, white or sky blue pink, her behaviour at the US Open was a total disgrace; a disgrace to sport, to tennis, and to decent talented female athletes the world around. Contrast her appalling behaviour to the number 1 cricket nation in the world, India, who have just lost 4-1 to England - they were unlucky to lose the toss all 5 times, they could have won at least two of the tests, they just lost in one of the most memorable tests of all time, but in defeat they were magnanimous, a credit to all sport and sportsmanship. SR should watch and learn instead of blaming everyone else when she loses.
Fair comment!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb