Bulletin Board needs a major software upgrade

PLEASE read this before joining and using this Bulletin Board.

Moderators: Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Bulletin Board needs a major software upgrade

Post by RubiconCSL »

Hi all.

I've been very remiss with upgrading the software on this board. The latest version is a big change from the version currently running. As a result, the upgrade won't be straightforward. It may be that doing the new upgrade will lose some functionality. So I'll see if I can get this done over the weekend.

If I completely screw up, bear with me, as I may then have to reload a backup. Hopefully, that won't mean any posts being lost, as they are in a database and not in the actual files I need to upgrade.

Anywhoos, it could be a bumpy weekend. Don't give up though if it disappears for a while, as it will return, bigger and stronger - just like Pompey!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Bulletin Board needs a major software upgrade

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I'm, sure you will figure it out Rubi
Appreciate your efforts keeping things running over the years.

TCK
Div III. Call it what it is.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Good luck and thanks.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Okay, everybody. Rest easy. I don't think this will happen this weekend.

Other dependent upgrades will need to happen first and I can't make those myself. PHP (the programming language of the bulletin board software) needs to be upgraded before I can update the forum software itself (phpBB). That also, in turn, entails upgrading some other software called EasyApache (no, that's not something you'd say to an irate native Indian); it is software that is used to install and maintain the web server. So, first they update EasyApache, then they can update PHP, then I can look at updating phpBB. A lot of bits and pieces for the hosting company to upgrade before I can look at the BB itself. That needs their resources and as such, has to be scheduled in.

I guess I ought to also look at the version of the MySQL database software, but maybe I can wait to do that after the bulletin board.

Hopefully next weekend?
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

I know exactly what all that means and I entirely agree.

Must be off....gotta fax something to the rotary phone thingy
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

RubiconCSL wrote:Okay, everybody. Rest easy. I don't think this will happen this weekend.

Other dependent upgrades will need to happen first and I can't make those myself. PHP (the programming language of the bulletin board software) needs to be upgraded before I can update the forum software itself (phpBB). That also, in turn, entails upgrading some other software called EasyApache (no, that's not something you'd say to an irate native Indian); it is software that is used to install and maintain the web server. So, first they update EasyApache, then they can update PHP, then I can look at updating phpBB. A lot of bits and pieces for the hosting company to upgrade before I can look at the BB itself. That needs their resources and as such, has to be scheduled in.

I guess I ought to also look at the version of the MySQL database software, but maybe I can wait to do that after the bulletin board.

:smt017
Hopefully next weekend?
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Sorry, got carried away :) In summary - there's lots of stuff to update, so it will be a while until I get it all done.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Much better....clear....concise.
You need a new bit of string for the 2 tin cans and the wheel hamster is past his best days.

Carry on.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

The first part of the upgrade is now in place. Hopefully, you'll see no issues. If you spot anything not working as it used to, please let me know. It's only a minor part of the work, but let me know if you see anything different.

When I start the bulletin board upgrade, I'm going to have to remove all themes other than the basic and somewhat boring proSilver. Once I've actually got it all done and working, I can install more themes.

We'll also initially lose any modifications I've made over time. I can't fully remember what MODS I've installed, to be honest, but whatever they are, they'll also be shown the red card.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

I'm getting there slowly. I now have a copy of this site (as of 21:30 this evening) upgraded to the latest software. I have just emailed a handful of you to ask you to log in and test the new site.

Once we are happy the upgrade has worked, I will need to take the site offline for a short while, so I can do the final copy and upgrade.

Once we get to the new board, I'm afraid all of the different styles/themes will be gone, leaving just the basic default style. All modifications will also be gone. But it will be up to date software wise and I can always add new extensions and styles back in once it is live.

You can see a demo of the different board styles available here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... r/demo/3.2 - prosilver is the default. I'm happy to add a couple of others, but don't want dozens of them, as it's just too much hassle.

There are also plenty of extensions I can install, to add functionality to the site. As an example, I was thinking that maybe a section that is more of a blog for BFTM reports.

Hopefully, if I get some testing done for me and good feedback, I can have a go at this by next weekend. Then we can look at new styles and extensions.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Hi Rubi, nothing appears to have changed so far as I can see, but I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. What I will ask is whether any of this costing you more than just your time as, if so, I'd be happy to bung a few quid in the pot to help cover any outlay.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Yeah...wot he said. If yer $$$ out of pocket let us know.....I'm sure I can find a few Mexican pesos in the folds of the couch which I can send (plain brown envelope of course).

Meanwhile, I had a very brief lurk around your email site update and it seems to function fine.

TCK
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Thanks for the offer chaps. But other than my time, no expense my side.

I just want to make sure the software is up to date and is also then secure.

The latest version also offers a better experience I think. For example, the styles are fully responsive in 3.2 - which means they render properly, regardless of whether you use a PC, laptop, tablet, mobile phone etc.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

The upgrade is now complete. Sorry if that means losing a few posts in the last hour or so. But I didn't want to have to do yet another dry run!

Please do try out as much as you can and give me any feedback.

Once it is looking stable, I'll start looking at any useful code extensions and different styles/themes.

As reported before, we have now gone back to just the one default standard theme. So if you were using a different one, you'll obviously notice a difference.

The header looks awfully clunky right now, but I'll look at that when we install a different style in the near future.